NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

14 hours ago, CountyFan said:

To be fair it's the only late window game with playoff implications for both teams. Not sure what else they would show in that slot this week. Agree with the overall sentiment but a weird week to complain about it IMO. 

I don’t have a problem with this weekend’s live late window game featuring the Cowboys, but more that they seem to be on all the time. Sky do seem to have a love-in with the NFC East every year. This year it’s a shite division too.

55 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

If I was to hazard a guess the Cowboys are probably the most supported NFL team in Europe

Couple of different sources on this: from NFL UK 2016 (UK only)

image.png.397f0c579103a4a95a5ee4cc270e0767.png

A Europe wide one from this year... 

image.png.3be9b9e142ac4702767d90acb20909a9.png

... and the breakdown per country. Spoiler alert: people gloryhunt.. but mon the fucking Czechs

European-Favorite-NFL-Football-Teams-Map.jpg

Couple of different sources on this: from NFL UK 2016 (UK only)
image.png.397f0c579103a4a95a5ee4cc270e0767.png
A Europe wide one from this year... 
image.png.3be9b9e142ac4702767d90acb20909a9.png
... and the breakdown per country. Spoiler alert: people gloryhunt.. but mon the fucking Czechs
European-Favorite-NFL-Football-Teams-Map.jpg&key=92ca2fa9b1491dd007ded6ec67e4b9e70361b6d2e666353ab05d7a9db061b591
Always knew the Cypriots were good yins

8 hours ago, steelmen said:

The panthers are the most supported team in the UK? Did the ask 1 person?

Think I know 2 panthers fans and yes I phoned them after Super Bowl 50... both hung up on me for some reason!

There is no chance the Panthers are the most supported club in the UK. Not having that at all.

Patriots, Cowboys, Packers, Dolphins and Bears most likely.

I decided on the 49ers a few years ago at my first NFL match at Wembley. Picked a Kaepernick jersey...because it was red. It was before the whole Kaepernick issue.

Couple of years ago we went to San Fransisco, it was my favourite from the three of LA and Vegas.

So basically, I just want to say I'm not a glory hunter. And:

How fucking good are George Kittle and Nick Bosa...?

Just getting into American Football. Usually watch the superbowl but since being able to watch more of it now I've decided to pick a team and follow them. I'm still very raw on the rules and find it amazing how people can tell what plays are going to be run etc. Anybody got any advice for someone new to the sport?

Oh, I've decided to follow the Steelers for no reason other than they wear the same colours as Livi.

When I was getting into the sport, I found John Madden's commentary informative.

He would look at a way the Offence was lined up and suggest the possible play to come. 9 times out of 10 he seemed to be right.

Tony Romo does a good job of this nowadays.

After you watch for a while, you do get an idea of whether it is likely to be a run or pass play. Screens tend to be called more when the Offence has quite a few yards to get and thinks the opposition Defence may be blitzing. You'll think they're gonna sack the QB and he'll do a quick flip to the RB or WR, with Offensive Linenen further down the field than usual.

Probably better to watch full games, rather than Redzone, whilst you get used to it.

When I was getting into the sport, I found John Madden's commentary informative.

He would look at a way the Offence was lined up and suggest the possible play to come. 9 times out of 10 he seemed to be right.

After you watch for a while, you do get an idea of whether it is likely to be a run or pass play. Screens tend to be called more when the Offence has quite a few yards to get and thinks the opposition Defence may be blitzing. You'll think they're gonna sack the QB and he'll do a quick flip to the RB or WR, with Offensive Linenen further down the field than usual.

Probably better to watch full games, rather than Redzone, whilst you get used to it.
Mike Carlson is reallly good for introductory stuff but sadly he only does the BBC coverage.

Just getting into American Football. Usually watch the superbowl but since being able to watch more of it now I've decided to pick a team and follow them. I'm still very raw on the rules and find it amazing how people can tell what plays are going to be run etc. Anybody got any advice for someone new to the sport?

Oh, I've decided to follow the Steelers for no reason other than they wear the same colours as Livi.

Join a fantasy league. No better way to learn the players.

Thanks, most of what you said doesn't make sense to me but hopefully I'll get there.

Playing Madden NFL on PlayStation was a big help to me learning different plays and what they meant. Even then it has taken me years to have a decent understanding of penalties and having an idea of what a flag has been thrown for. Still learning though, as last week was the first I knew you couldn't get flagged for pass interference on a fake punt play.