NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Did wonder if that was the main reason. Anyone aware of the percentage of kickoffs that are touchbacks or fair catches? 

You can't fair catch a kick-off only a punt.  With the kick-off if the ball is in the endzone the player will kneel to "down" the ball or take it over the back-line.

The NFL will have the stats per player for kickoff touchbacks.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

You can't fair catch a kick-off only a punt.  With the kick-off if the ball is in the endzone the player will kneel to "down" the ball or take it over the back-line.

I stand corrected but pretty sure you can fair catch at kick off, rarely done, but I don't think there's anything in the rules which say you can't.

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

Someone fair caught a kick off about two weeks ago to prevent an onside recovery, did they not?

13 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I stand corrected but pretty sure you can fair catch at kick off, rarely done, but I don't think there's anything in the rules which say you can't.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Someone fair caught a kick off about two weeks ago to prevent an onside recovery, did they not?

Apologies, I stand corrected.

To keep the game moving why dont they take the kick-off of games closer to the kicking teams endzone, thus avoiding touchbacks and perhaps getting more kicks returned for a decent gain?
Always wondered that, touchbacks frustrate me greatly, shouldn't but do for some reason!

Player safety. Goodall would like to take kick offs out of the game completely
Watched an interesting video not long ago about this. Kick offs have more injuries than punts due to the way teams line up, and with the touch back being seen more and more, kick offs are now pretty boring. There is the possibility of an onside kick of course but they don't come up very often. Someone has suggested - and I think this is a great idea - that game restarts with a 4th down situation (say 4th and 25) on about the 30 yard line. In most cases, teams will punt which still gives the receiving team possession, but involves more skill, has a greater chance of being returned into play rather than just going to a touch back and is safer than a place kick. It would also allow teams to go for the "offside kick" option of going for a long throw/run fake punt option which would work slightly more often than the offside kick does (there was a whole statistical thing, discussing whether it should be 4th and 15, 4th and 20, 4th and 25 or whatever; the idea was to make it slightly easier to retain possession than it would be with an onside kick but not too much to mean teams always go for it). I think it has merit.

Watched an interesting video not long ago about this. Kick offs have more injuries than punts due to the way teams line up, and with the touch back being seen more and more, kick offs are now pretty boring. There is the possibility of an onside kick of course but they don't come up very often. Someone has suggested - and I think this is a great idea - that game restarts with a 4th down situation (say 4th and 25) on about the 30 yard line. In most cases, teams will punt which still gives the receiving team possession, but involves more skill, has a greater chance of being returned into play rather than just going to a touch back and is safer than a place kick. It would also allow teams to go for the "offside kick" option of going for a long throw/run fake punt option which would work slightly more often than the offside kick does (there was a whole statistical thing, discussing whether it should be 4th and 15, 4th and 20, 4th and 25 or whatever; the idea was to make it slightly easier to retain possession than it would be with an onside kick but not too much to mean teams always go for it). I think it has merit.

Wasn’t that what they did in the AAF this summer?

Because I normally just watch redzone I don't normally pay much attention to kickoffs but at Tottenham yesterday all 13 kickoffs were touchbacks.

In a stadium with little or no wind ,or a dome it might as well get to the stage where you just tell the receiving team to start on their own 25, saves time if nothing else.

If the kicking team want to try an onside kick then it will be something like that 4th and 25 idea above, or a rugby style dropkick to start.

14 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Because I normally just watch redzone I don't normally pay much attention to kickoffs but at Tottenham yesterday all 13 kickoffs were touchbacks.

In a stadium with little or no wind ,or a dome it might as well get to the stage where you just tell the receiving team to start on their own 25, saves time if nothing else.

If the kicking team want to try an onside kick then it will be something like that 4th and 25 idea above, or a rugby style dropkick to start.

The dropkick is a perfectly legal kickoff in the NFL, I really don't understand why that isn't utilised for onside kicks. The Ravens did it a couple of weeks ago, which is the first time I've seen it done.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The dropkick is a perfectly legal kickoff in the NFL, I really don't understand why that isn't utilised for onside kicks. The Ravens did it a couple of weeks ago, which is the first time I've seen it done.

That was the one that was fair caught IIRC.