NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I like the idea of two extra competitive games, but only allowing players to play in sixteen out of eighteen is shite. 

If they are worried about player recovery, give them an extra bye week and make it a twenty week regular season with two fewer preseason games. 

I like the idea of two extra competitive games, but only allowing players to play in sixteen out of eighteen is shite. 
If they are worried about player recovery, give them an extra bye week and make it a twenty week regular season with two fewer preseason games. 
I think the sticking point is what are you conceding in the CBA. The players association are looking for contracts to be guaranteed and the owners wont swallow it.

I assume extra weeks = better TV deal. So the players can be offered more money, and an extra bye week. 

The pensions seem to be a sticking point, too. So maybe offer pensions to anyone who plays two seasons rather than three as in the current rule. 

Get this eighteen games, but noone can play more than sixteen, in the bin though. Horrendous idea, would rather it stayed as it is than changed to that. 

Giants Safety Kamrin Moore suspended until further notice.  Arrested over the weekend in New Jersey for punching a woman, knocking her unconscious and standing on her neck.   

Been charged with Third Degree Assault... what the f**k is first or second 

Edited by Antiochas III

Giants Safety Kamrin Moore suspended until further notice.  Arrested over the weekend in New Jersey for punching a woman, knocking her unconscious and standing on her neck.   

Been charged with Third Degree Assault... what the f**k is first or second 

Hope he never plays again.

2011 Superbowl winning guard with the Giants Mitch Petrus has died aged 32 from heatstroke. Played college with Arkansas University & was drafted in 5th round by Giants in 2010. 27 game career saw brief spells with the Patriots & Titans after leaving Giants in 2012 season before retiring at end of season.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49053424

How is everyone feeling about their team in the run up to the season?

For the Lions I think that there don't seem to be any expectations for the team.  Most predictions have Detroit winning 4-5 games.  I think you can make a case for Detroit being a low-key sleeper team though.  Additions of Trey Flowers and Justin Coleman shore up the line and the secondary and having Snacks Harrison start a full season shores thing sup.  Offensively, upgrading tight ends with Hockensen in the draft and Watt in free agency.  Golladay, Jones Jr and Amendola are a receiver group with potential and Kerryon Johnson had a promising rookie season.   Stafford had a step back last season but remains the franchise quarterback and I don't think that's going to change.  

It'll take a few of these guys to step up their game but I think there's always a chance in the NFL to break out./

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

How is everyone feeling about their team in the run up to the season?

For the Lions I think that there don't seem to be any expectations for the team.  Most predictions have Detroit winning 4-5 games.  I think you can make a case for Detroit being a low-key sleeper team though.  Additions of Trey Flowers and Justin Coleman shore up the line and the secondary and having Snacks Harrison start a full season shores thing sup.  Offensively, upgrading tight ends with Hockensen in the draft and Watt in free agency.  Golladay, Jones Jr and Amendola are a receiver group with potential and Kerryon Johnson had a promising rookie season.   Stafford had a step back last season but remains the franchise quarterback and I don't think that's going to change.  

It'll take a few of these guys to step up their game but I think there's always a chance in the NFL to break out./

I've low expectations for the Cardinals. 5-9 would be ok tbh. I'm intrigued by the new offence with Kingsbury in charge and Murray at QB. I'll take just being more exciting to watch in that regard.

On defence, in glad that the scheme is switching back to 3-4, allowing Jones to slim down and move back out to OLB, which should get the best from him. Pat Peterson missing for the first 6 games is obviously a huge blow though.

With the Chiefs and Chargers being good teams, and those pesky Raiders in our division, the best we can hope for is for a winning season of any sort, and for Joe Flacco to be protected enough by our O-Line that he doesn’t get his arse driven into the turf on every play, taking sack after sack.

Worst scenario is that Flacco sucks, the O-Line is porous, and in desperation we throw in an ill-prepared Drew Lock at QB as our season goes down the U-Bend.

As with fans of the other 31 teams I'm pretty optimistic going into the new season.

Patricia now in his second season so I'd expect the players to have a proper grasp on how he wants us playing. It was certainly noticeable that the D were grasping it towards the end of last season. With that in mind, and with the additions we've made to the D I think we could be a top 5 D this season.

Offense is still the main concern but hopefully improves given that Cooter is away. We need to get more out of Stafford, receiving additions will certainly help him. We should also look to run the ball a lot more with Bevell running the offense.

It is probably one of the toughest divisions to call, can really make a case of any of the 4 sides. 9 wins could likely be in with a shout of the division. I have us at around the .500.

First few days of camp are in the books and I think the pads come out on Monday.

*Day one saw OBJ toasting multiple backup DBs to the hoots and cheering of the usual Browns training camp crowd. They sell it out every year, at least they've got something to be excited about this year.

*Day 2 saw the Defence dominating with Mayfield killing it in 7 on 7 but a different matter when Garrett and Vernon got involved in the 11s game.

* Rookie LB Takitaki is flying about the field and upsetting some veterans with his eagerness without pads. Expect someone will rattle him come Monday. We need one of these rookie LBs to stick and he's jumping out.