NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

11 minutes ago, Jute said:

He’s got his money so I think he’ll be happy now.

Kaep is a far better quarterback than several of the starters in the league, and virtually all of the back ups.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Kaep is a far better quarterback than several of the starters in the league, and virtually all of the back ups.

Difficult to gauge tbh. He’s 31 and hasn’t played for over 2 years.

Looks like he could end up one of those sports people who, in people’s minds, could become a far better player by their absence.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

26 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Don’t disagree however he was still shite for a large chunk of time with 9ers. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s been over 2 years. It’s well documented that he was looking for a huge payout. Are you saying he won’t be happy with it ??

It's not well documented at all, although he's surely entitled to one.  The principle at hand here is far deeper than finance.  But it's not really for me to assume how he should react to whatever payout he received.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Difficult to gauge tbh. He’s 31 and hasn’t played for over 2 years.

Looks like he could end up one of those sports people who, in people’s minds, could become a far better player by their absence.

That's not the point. There are some shocking quarterbacks.  Look at the utter garbage playing for the Niners in Garopolopopodruffalo's absence.  There's no question Kaep's career has been mixed - he was initially absolutely light years above Alex Smith, for example.  His last season was not good, but he was playing in a dreadful, dreadful team.  

Even if he was only given a back up job, there's no question he'd have been an improvement on some of the dross.  Which is the point.  He didn't sit out last season because he wasn't good enough to be a back up quarterback.  He sat it out because he was frozen out because of his activism.  And it reflects terribly on NFL ownership.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_quarterbacks_in_the_National_Football_League

That list misses some out due to injury, resting etc - Cam Newton for the Panthers, Andy Dalton from the Bengals, Marriota in Tennessee and Brees in NO. There’s also the Redskins who lost Alex Smith, maybe permanently.

I don’t think Kaepernick is clearly better than any of the starting QBs. You could maybe argue that he’s better than the current Manning or Blake Bortles but even then it’s a stretch. Manning had a passer rating of 92.4 last season better than five of Kaepernicks six seasons in the league and it’s a consensus that Eli is finished. Kaepernick is ahead of Bortles but even then it’s relatively close.

Of course, each team has three QBs and Kaepernick is clearly worth a spot on a great many rosters. My prediction is he signs for Carolina to back up Cam Newton.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_quarterbacks_in_the_National_Football_League

That list misses some out due to injury, resting etc - Cam Newton for the Panthers, Andy Dalton from the Bengals, Marriota in Tennessee and Brees in NO. There’s also the Redskins who lost Alex Smith, maybe permanently.

I don’t think Kaepernick is clearly better than any of the starting QBs. You could maybe argue that he’s better than the current Manning or Blake Bortles but even then it’s a stretch. Manning had a passer rating of 92.4 last season better than five of Kaepernicks six seasons in the league and it’s a consensus that Eli is finished. Kaepernick is ahead of Bortles but even then it’s relatively close.

Of course, each team has three QBs and Kaepernick is clearly worth a spot on a great many rosters. My prediction is he signs for Carolina to back up Cam Newton.

Yup, I have no issue with any of that.

I do have an issue with putting this all down to money.  

Does this mean that somebody is duty bound to sign him?  I don't know how that works.  

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It's not well documented at all, although he's surely entitled to one.  The principle at hand here is far deeper than finance.  But it's not really for me to assume how he should react to whatever payout he received.

That's not the point. There are some shocking quarterbacks.  Look at the utter garbage playing for the Niners in Garopolopopodruffalo's absence.  There's no question Kaep's career has been mixed - he was initially absolutely light years above Alex Smith, for example.  His last season was not good, but he was playing in a dreadful, dreadful team.  

Even if he was only given a back up job, there's no question he'd have been an improvement on some of the dross.  Which is the point.  He didn't sit out last season because he wasn't good enough to be a back up quarterback.  He sat it out because he was frozen out because of his activism.  And it reflects terribly on NFL ownership.

Sadly this has became about money. Every single headline is talking about the size of the payout or speculation about the size of the payout.

Also, do you think he was the face of Nike for free ??

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sundays are horrendous without football.

Well there is still football. The AAF is on tonight. I watched it last night, not the best but fills the football fix. 

Trent Richardson won the game for his team! That about shows you the standard. 

I'm struggling already lads. It's not even March and I've watched all the Mayfield, Chubb and Ward highlights to the point where I'm now scouring YouTube for O Line clips of Joel Bitonio in college and how he might shift to LT.

Is it September yet?

1 minute ago, Fife Saint said:

I'm struggling already lads. It's not even March and I've watched all the Mayfield, Chubb and Ward highlights to the point where I'm now scouring YouTube for O Line clips of Joel Bitonio in college and how he might shift to LT.

Is it September yet?

I've got to come up with 8 months worth of filler for the podcast now! Need football back nooowwwww.