Mogwai fans - gies some help

Jimmy85

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread this, just catching up. A few things;

GY!BE at the Barras were amazing, I remember. I may be mis-remembering because I was steaming drunk, missed the first song (large chunk of a Godspeed concert, Albanian I think it was), spent a significant portion of the gig talking to a buddy. Interesting night. Got hassled by the police on the way home because I matched the description of someone they wanted to talk to re. a stabbing. Bizarre. Anyway, seen them in better circumstances at The Arches and they were again superb. Going to see ASMZ in Feb, excited about that.

Mogwai doing Zidane was great. Really interesting gig. Won't see anything like it. Pity the night turned out to be so cold. Belting stuff though all together.

Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, Slint, Caspian and The Constants are great recommendations. The latter two in particular. The Raven by Caspian is a crusher of a song.

Mogwai are amazing. Live they're pretty fucking stunning. The new album sounds really good. Big fan of the titles (Heard About You Last Night is a hilarious name as is The Lord Is Out of Control). On the new album, The Lord and Blues Hour stand out. Dunno how good the new stuff will translate live though.

Seeing as this is sort of the post-rock thread, I'm going to list my top 5 post-rock songs of the year.

5. Russian Circles - 1777

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/russian-circles-1777

4. Tangled Thoughts of Leaving - (quakes)

3. Mooncake - Dimension of Miracles

2. Kepzelt Varos - Orion

1. Dias de Septiembre - Nostalgia

Edited by Tam Servo

• 1 month later...

Mogwai crushed my face tonight, stunning stuff.

The new songs, whilst fairly average on record, were excellent live.

And therein lies a neat summation of most of Mogwai's albums. Not a patch, in their entirety, on a live performance.

Even allowing for that, though, the new album's not great.

Edited by Savage Henry

Did Moffat come on for a rendition of "R U Still In 2 It"? I've seen Mogwai about six times and never seen that one live sadly. Also never seen" Stanley Kubrick" or "My Father My King" live unfortunately.

Apart from the new stuff, what else did they play? Going to see them at the Usher Hall as well.

If you're into Mogwai, you should give And So I Watch You From Afar a listen.

Agreed: they're excellent.