Mogwai fans - gies some help

Jimmy85

I find it very hard not to recommend *all* their albums. I have, however, been listening to "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will" a lot recently.

These days if I listen to Mogwai, it's Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will. I'm not their biggest fan but I love this album.

• 4 months later...

Addendum to "Mogwai Help" here.

They've announced a performance of the Zidane score at "220 Broomielaw". I'll be going anyway, it's magic, but does anyone have any experience of the development? I say "development" rather than "venue" as all I can see on Google is information about the building itself - much as I'm desperate to go, I don't want them playing to me in a glorified meeting room.

It's £29 inc booking fee - bit pricey, but well worth it.

To add to the debate, CODY's my favourite.

• 2 weeks later...

They've announced a performance of the Zidane score at "220 Broomielaw". I'll be going anyway, it's magic, but does anyone have any experience of the development? I say "development" rather than "venue" as all I can see on Google is information about the building itself - much as I'm desperate to go, I don't want them playing to me in a glorified meeting room.

Bought a couple of tickets. Now to try and talk one of my pals into coming along.

That's just a spare bit of ground? I work in the building beside it. Is it an outdoor/drive in cinema style event? Could be pretty cool.

Not on any album but My Father My King is crushing and stupidly good. Seen them four times and they vary in quality when live. Best time was in Paisley. Loudest was at Tramway for Triptych. That show was fucking heavy.

Got to agree with most the comments on here. Love Mogwai, seen them countless times and always have a stash of their albums in my car.

Unsurprisingly at this moment in time, listening to Les Revenants, Wizard Motor blows me away everytime I hear it. Very much enjoying The Returned on Ch4 at present.

Not on any album but My Father My King is crushing and stupidly good. Seen them four times and they vary in quality when live. Best time was in Paisley. Loudest was at Tramway for Triptych. That show was fucking heavy.

Best Mogwai by far is that, astonishing tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else head along on Sunday? A beardy crowd which I assume is the norm for a Mogwai gig?

It was pretty fucking good tbh. Prefect conditions, beer, a BBQ and great music. The wall of sound for the climax of the film was intense. It must've traveled for miles.

Oh and the encore included Galsgow Mega-Snake which was incredible. Worth the ticket price alone.

Was alreet. To be honest I'd rather have gone and watched them do a greatest hits of mogwai selection ... Still, sounded pretty good, good location. The crowd sounds etc from the film could have been louder in the mix when they were playing. But during the bits without music they sit there and you listen to zidane snorting mucus at 100 dB so hard to get that right i suppose. They did sound astonishingly good though.

Was alreet. To be honest I'd rather have gone and watched them do a greatest hits of mogwai selection ... Still, sounded pretty good, good location. The crowd sounds etc from the film could have been louder in the mix when they were playing. But during the bits without music they sit there and you listen to zidane snorting mucus at 100 dB so hard to get that right i suppose. They did sound astonishingly good though.

Exact reason i missed this one. Zidane soundtrack is alright but hardly their greatest work. Would've liked to have seen the Young Team show they did in London few years back. Looked beasting.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I took the missus along to this, she'd never heard Mogwai before but she quite enjoyed it. The weather was a plus but it fair got cold once the wind got up and the sun went down, ended up buying a T-Shirt to keep warm (The Scotland/Zidane T-Shirts were pretty cool anyway though).

It was a fun idea to do a show like this, we left during the last song and realised we could have not bothered paying and just stood at the side of the road with a carryout and watched the whole thing... although once we got closer th Glasgow Central, hearing the music reverberating around the streets of Glasgow was very interesting. We got their early and thankfully managed to get a seat, if we hadn't i doubt I'd have enjoyed it so much, given the doors opened around 6.15 and they didn't take to the stage until after half 8, we'd probably have got bored/tired standing about.

I took the missus along to this, she'd never heard Mogwai before but she quite enjoyed it. The weather was a plus but it fair got cold once the wind got up and the sun went down, ended up buying a T-Shirt to keep warm (The Scotland/Zidane T-Shirts were pretty cool anyway though).

I went for the 30 quid black hoodie with "MOGWAI" emblazoned across the front in bold, white capitals. Not a good look for a podgy, 42 year-old bloke so it will be going to the teenage nephew the next time I see him.

Other than the cold (not as hardy as I was in my youth) and the annoying chatter and constant wandering about by the numerous hipsters in my immediate vicinity (I assume they were in for free, else why spend 25 quid on a ticket and not pay any attention to the performance), I thought the performance was excellent. At various points the music (and not the cool breeze blowing along the Clyde) gave me chills and I was much more engaged by the documentary film than I ever had been watching it at home.

To be honest, I wasn't previously that "into" the soundtrack before this gig. However, Sunday night's performance unlocked it for me and I'm sitting at home in my garden right now and enjoying listening to it while watching the sun go down. It helps that I remembered to bring a jacket this time though.

On favourite Mogwai albums, "Ten Rapid" is mine ... especially since it features "New Paths to Helicon pt 1" which made an appearance during the encore the other night.

They were brilliant. Didn't think they'd return for an encore though, so I missed it :(

Just noticed your sig / avatar. On a slightly related note, I saw Mogwai perform an unannounced support slot (1st time I ever saw them live) for GSYBE (1st time I ever heard their music) at G2 in the late 90s. Pretty special evening all round.