Mogwai fans - gies some help

Jimmy85

Mr Beast is a good bet if you like Ratts. I would say this though, Mogwai are far better live than they are on record. You only need one or two of their albums, and even then a whole record is a bit too much. You pretty much get the same on any album.

I've not heard the last couple of albums but they started off great (debut album Young Team) then, in my opinion, went through a bit of a fallow period (Come On Die Young, Rock Action) before coming back to form with Happy Music.

Mr. Beast has some good stuff on it (I especially like the closing track We're No Here) but as someone said above Mogwai are best sampled live so I'd direct you to Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996 - 2003 which features some blistering live sessions from Peel shows.

Get the "Special Moves" CD that has the "Burning" DVD as well of them in concert in New York. "I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead" is out of this world when you can see it too.

I saw the DVD "film" in the cinema; it does the rounds every so often. Blasted ma heid and well worth keeping your eyes peeled for it at places like the GFT in Glasgow.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

My mate James played drums for Mogwai on the USA/Canada tour and Asian (I think?) when the Mogwai drummer was off for personal reasons. He also came up with the name for the last album after hearing a ned in a shop shout it at a shopkeeper.

My St Mirren was draped over his drumkit for the US/Can tour.... evidence....

'Friend Of The Night' is the reason I could not go back when I started to like Mogwai.
'How To Be A Werewolf' is probably the most effective and uplifting song I know.
'Mogwai Fear Satan' is probably my favourite song live. The 'Burning' DVD version is sh*t hot, and every time I see them live, I always look forward to that bit about 8 minutes into it.... y'all know what happens then... ;)

Definitely a band who are to be seen live to be experienced properly. The bounce off the crowd is sort of essential there, but I would always recommend to try and get to know songs before seeing them live. To the noob, it just sounds like really loud noise, but to others who have heard the tracks before, it is basically deafeningly loud versions of blummin great music.
'

I've not heard the last couple of albums but they started off great (debut album Young Team) then, in my opinion, went through a bit of a fallow period (Come On Die Young, Rock Action) before coming back to form with Happy Music.

Mr. Beast has some good stuff on it (I especially like the closing track We're No Here) but as someone said above Mogwai are best sampled live so I'd direct you to Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996 - 2003 which features some blistering live sessions from Peel shows.

This is very good advice. I'd imagine a live album might exceed any of their studio records, actually.

I think seeing them live is more about the whole gig than the individual songs. Their albums, even if you blast them out through your Bose or your £200 headphones, don't really begin to provide that almost ethereal floating feeling you get from the live experience.

Saw them in Tokyo once, when they played in a 200 capacity venue. It's easily in the top five - and loudest - gigs I've ever seen. I've got particularly sensitive ears - even a Beck acoustic set gives me ringing in my ears - and I couldn't hear properly for about a week after Mogwai.

ETA - in terms of loudness, though, that goes to Foo Fighters who were so loud I couldn't actually differentiate the songs. Mogwai's all about the quiet and the loud.

Edited by Savage Henry

I find it quite hard to make recommendations to people about Mogwai because they've so much blistering material splattered over many albums.

I find The Hawk is Howling to be my favourite. I like the overall sinister tone throughout. Whereas, the latest album is very optimistic feeling, which is a nice contrast.

Id get the Special Moves live stuff first, for the same reasons others have mentioned. Personally, Hunted by a Freak and 2 Wrongs are the best live songs Ive ever witnessed/heard.

Edited by Jeff Venom