Total war series

Kujabi_Kujabyou

Already wish I hadn't bought this, mirror post above.

And I have quite a good laptop!

It's quite frustrating eh? As theres definite hints of a good game in there, but its almost unplayable

Definitely switch off follow AI moves. You get an update if someone comes into your territory so it's really not necessary.

Even then it takes a while, although obviously not as long. Any idea how many nations are actually in it from the start?

Even then it takes a while, although obviously not as long. Any idea how many nations are actually in it from the start?

Like 100+

I just won an amazing battle. The senate just started a civil war when most of my legions were fighting in Africa. They spawned in Spain where I had 1 legion and 1 navy. They besieged me in a city with a couple of navies and legions. Battle statistics at the end were; I killed 2000 they killed 1000. I had 1500 men they had 3000.

To be fair launching a civil war while I was fighting somewhere else is pretty clever. I was finding the campaign a bit too easy but this livened it up for me. It's a shame for the senate that I completely crushed them!

Like 100+

I just won an amazing battle. The senate just started a civil war when most of my legions were fighting in Africa. They spawned in Spain where I had 1 legion and 1 navy. They besieged me in a city with a couple of navies and legions. Battle statistics at the end were; I killed 2000 they killed 1000. I had 1500 men they had 3000.

To be fair launching a civil war while I was fighting somewhere else is pretty clever. I was finding the campaign a bit too easy but this livened it up for me. It's a shame for the senate that I completely crushed them!

Yeah the map AI has improved massively, also seems more aggressive too

The civil war is over and we retain power - yaldy.

In still not sure if this game is as fun as

Rome I but its so much quicker to get through. The province system and new unit recruitment system drastically cut time. This is really good as it got boring constantly building stuff in Rome I.

• 2 months later...

I don't know whether I love or loathe this game, I know the missus certainly hates it though. I never played Shogun II after the disaster that was post-launch Empire Total War so was a little sceptical that one of my favourite games of all time, RTW I, was getting the makeover treatment. RTW II will never be as good as the original because it has been modified to Hell and a lot of folk, including myself, view things with rose tinted glasses. Furthermore, I couldn't tell you the last time I played Vanilla RTW as I had downloaded the likes of Roma Surrectum etc.

All in all, however, it's a decent enough game if you download some of the mods from the Steam Workshop. I played a campaign with the Romans, but they then launched Ver 1.5 so had to start again. Started a decent campaign with the Icenii before they launched 1.7. At the moment, now, I'm playing as Carthage and thoroughly enjoying it. I particularly like the fact that Navy/Army battles can take place on the same map, there's something satisfying about waiting for enemy ships to beach while you've got the landing area completely and utterly covered.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hows everyone getting on with Rome 2 now?

I've went back to it after months off, and the patches they've brought out work an absolute treat. Don't get any lag and it flies through, spent the last two hours going toe to toe with the Etruscan League, managed to lull them into taking Beneventum, leaving their only other town (Corsica) exposed (I claim this was my plan, its just pretty fortunate I'd already started moving an army towards there when they attacked). So now they're trapped on the mainland surrounded by me and I've two armies within a move of them. So my first war will be over! Taken a lot of years though. Looking forward to ploughing on and feel drawn North, not looking forward to the inevitable war with Carthage though, especially if I do go North, never enjoyed fighting on both sides of my empire.

Edited by RandomGuy.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone pining for a Total War game that doesn't hump their laptops (get a decent desktop!) should try the Lord of the Rings: Total War overhaul of Rome: Alexander from the original game. It's brilliantly done with great units, a perfect map of middle earth and a nice stiplulation that even if you assault Barad'Dur with the most badass army in Nirn, Sauron can't die until you find and capture the ring bearer wandering somewhere around the world and take the ring to Mordor. Take your pick of any faction from the books and enter the war of the ring.

Bad guys (Mordor, Isengaard, Southrons, Easterlings etc) is easy mode, Gondor and the Dwarves are kinda medium and trying to do anything with the dwindling elf population and terrible economy is super fucking hard.

Awesome mod, enthusiasts of total war or LotR should try it.

Anyone pining for a Total War game that doesn't hump their laptops (get a decent desktop!) should try the Lord of the Rings: Total War overhaul of Rome: Alexander from the original game. It's brilliantly done with great units, a perfect map of middle earth and a nice stiplulation that even if you assault Barad'Dur with the most badass army in Nirn, Sauron can't die until you find and capture the ring bearer wandering somewhere around the world and take the ring to Mordor. Take your pick of any faction from the books and enter the war of the ring.

Bad guys (Mordor, Isengaard, Southrons, Easterlings etc) is easy mode, Gondor and the Dwarves are kinda medium and trying to do anything with the dwindling elf population and terrible economy is super fucking hard.

Sounds like the game ive been seeking for the past 5 years tbh

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-lord-of-the-rings-total-war

?

• 4 weeks later...

Third age total war is another lord of the rings Mod. Cept to Medieval II total war.

Massive forums for it with updates and other mods.

I found it brilliant. You can go elves dwarves, men, uruks or orcs amongst 15 odd factions.

You can play the (story mode) which is basically try and destroy the ring just like the book or you can have a total war campaign so basically kill all enemies.

Only problem i have is that elves can die of old age which differs from books/films. But doesn't take away from the experience.

Third age total war is another lord of the rings Mod. Cept to Medieval II total war.

I found it brilliant. You can go elves dwarves, men, uruks or orcs amongst 15 odd factions.

You can play the (story mode) which is basically try and destroy the ring just like the book or you can have a total war campaign so basically kill all enemies.

Only problem i have is that elves can die of old age which differs from books/films. But doesn't take away from the experience.

That sounds actually brilliant. Whereabouts would I find that??

Think I've played that one. There was a bug during the campaign that meant you faced 5 Balrogs in Moria instead of one, which was obviously unwinnable. Its fixed now though

• 6 months later...

Just stumbled upon the old TV show "Time Commanders", which used Rome: Total War. Absolutely loved that show and wish theyd bring it back.

Got me so keen to play it again

Been totally sucked in by the original Rome one now. Battling Germania, Britannia and Gaul all at the same time :D Glorious challenge, add in the Senates desperate for me to start a war with Carthage, and Thrace and Spain are also on my borders, things could get very messy, real quick. Still no finer feeling than sneakily building an absolute c**t of an army at your capital and then sending them forth to cause complete carnage. Poor Gaul had me surrounded with three armies in deep France, but too late, as my five forces arrived in time to annihilate them so much they only seem to have one force left cowering in their capital :lol: