Heart of Midlothian vs St Mirren

SEETHING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think McGlynns tactics of 'not to lose' rather than going out to win is what has got us through to the final. Two tough games both won on penalties after having 10 men through extra time in both.

I want us to go and try and win the final though and hopefully Locke has the players fired up enough that they will come out all guns blazing just as we did in the Scottish Cup final last season. Would hate the game to be absolutely shite because StMirren and us both come out with the 'lets not lose' mentality.

I'm not holding my breath though...

We can't do that mentality. Danny tried it with an ultra-defensive approach at Celtic Park this season, and we were utter bollocks. We need to be on the front foot and going at teams. To be fair to Danny, he has certainly tried to instill an attacking approach from his St Mirren sides, whereas under Gus, the 'let's not lose' mentailty was absolutely the mantra. We were brutal to watch at times under Gus, but having said that, he won the Challenge Cup, got us up, kept us up, and we reached a cup final.... which we spectacularly fcuked up, but as the years go by, history will judge Gus kindly.

Anyway, with guys like Thompson, Goncalves, McGowan, McGinn, Teale and forward thinking defenders like Dummett and Carey, sitting back and trying to be stuffy and hard to break down would be, what's the word... oh aye, suicide.

Just something for any fans travelling through on the train from Edinburgh: there's no trains between Edinburgh and Polmont on Sunday for engineering work. There's a bus service instead there, but it'd probably better to go to Glasgow Central instead of GQS.

Esma came from nowhere and started against Celtic at Hampden. 8 minutes into his debut he scored and he ran them ragged for the rest of the game. Hearts will know nothing about this lad at all, which could benefit us. With his pedigree and international experience i would have no issues throwing him straight in the team. Harsh on the player left out but if he scores the winning goal i'm sure our fans won't grumble too much.

Puri dead brilliant 8)

I'm certain Gary Locke will have seen that youtube video of him DESTROYING Brazil. All bases covered :whistle

To be honest i think the scrappier the game the better for Hearts.

Our style suits hitting teams on the break.

Having watched the Edinburgh derby i think Hearts will be going route 1 to Sutton and Ngoo will feed off the scraps.

Thank f**k Skacel is away. Wouldn't be much point turning up if he was playing.

Ngoo will chase the long balls, he runs after anything. He'll play Sutts in as he did v St Johnstone.

Expect quality balls up to the strikers from Novi.

The pre-final nerves are getting to me big time! :(

Before last year's final, I just couldn't see us losing it. We had too many players who combined skill with a winning mentality. A "winning mentality" has generally been lacking this season and we've often thrown away points in the league even when we've played well. Although oddly enough, the cup run has been the opposite. I think Zaliukas had a big hand in that, though. If he was playing I'd be far more confident.

As for St Mirren, they've got Thompson and Teale who are probably on their last chance to win a trophy and won't be fazed by the occasion. I think Thompson, in particular, has the potential to be the match winner. We've also got about 5/6 right-backs and players who can play right-back out injured. Giving a 19 year old CB his full debut out of position against Goncalves is a worrying prospect.

I have no idea what to expect on Sunday but if I enjoy it even half as much as I did our last final then that'll do me. 8)

Wonder if that's why we've signed a new winger - just to exploit that potential weakness.

I'm guessing the guy will be involved at the weekend or else we wouldn't have rushed through the international clearance - although could just be so he's available if someone falls down the stairs or gets food poisoning.

So who is shitting it the most Jambos or Saints ?

Personally i was extremely confident after beating Celtic and up until a few days ago however starting to doubt us having the bottle but hope i am proved wrong. Lets be honest we would rather play Hearts in final than ICT ?

Archived