Heart of Midlothian vs St Mirren

SEETHING

Jesus Christ. He's got far better ball distribution and tackling than Jason Holt. That's for sure. If Holt fancied stopping trying to be Andres Iniesta he'd probably have better ball distribution but right now out of that whole batch of midfielders that have come through, Callum Tapping is the pick of the bunch. 2 iffy games in a formation that doesn't suit his game doesn't change that.

Jason Holt is our most creative player by a country mile and and has contributed far more than Tapping in his starts.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even think Parkin will be in the squad, with Mair turning out in tonight's U20 game, I think our bench will be Adam, Imrie, Mair, Guy and whichever one of Dummett / Carey isn't in the first XI. Kenny McLean isn't even on my bench, and David Barron's actual fitness is unknown. I reckon Parkin has no chance.

McLean will definitely be on the bench at worst, I still have a horrible feeling he'll start even though he shouldn't. If Mair came through last night's 45 minutes OK he'll probably be on the bench too. With Grant Adam obviously going to have one of the other slots that leaves just two places for Parkin, Imrie, Guy and Carey or Dummett to fight over - not including Robertson or the Estonian boy if he signs.

Good problem to have - not so long ago we were naming benches a sub down or with guys who were nowhere near fit.

Jason Holt is our most creative player by a country mile and and has contributed far more than Tapping in his starts.

They're different types of midfielders - Holt is the creative type, who is more likely to be seen in the opponent's half - Tapping is more like a holding player, and is less likely to catch the eye - players like this contribute as much to the team as the more creative players, but don't always get the credit for it.

I'd hope that Holt and Tapping could be a decent combination for us in years to come, but it rarely works out like that.

I don't think either will start on Sunday, but, of the two, Tapping is more likely to start - I would expect Holt to come off the bench at some stage.

Surely the only reason you would be signing this lad is for the cup final? Doesn't make sense to take on another wage for pretty much meaningless league games?

Someone posted on Twitter this morning it's a deal to the end of the season with an option for a further two years. Looks as if we're using the remaining games as an extended trial period which isn't a bad idea.

Of course, the journalist who tweeted this also claimed on Monday we'd signed him.

I'm starting to get properly excited/nervous about the game now, despite the fact I can't go, which i'm still gutted about. I shall be watching it on television though from my work, hoping for a victory.

It's going to be completely different to the league match a few weeks ago anyway, and should be fairly tight, i wouldn't be surprised if it went to penalties although i hope it doesn't

I actually think McGlynns tactics of 'not to lose' rather than going out to win is what has got us through to the final. Two tough games both won on penalties after having 10 men through extra time in both.

I want us to go and try and win the final though and hopefully Locke has the players fired up enough that they will come out all guns blazing just as we did in the Scottish Cup final last season. Would hate the game to be absolutely shite because StMirren and us both come out with the 'lets not lose' mentality.

I'm not holding my breath though...

I actually think McGlynns tactics of 'not to lose' rather than going out to win is what has got us through to the final. Two tough games both won on penalties after having 10 men through extra time in both.

I want us to go and try and win the final though and hopefully Locke has the players fired up enough that they will come out all guns blazing just as we did in the Scottish Cup final last season. Would hate the game to be absolutely shite because StMirren and us both come out with the 'lets not lose' mentality.

I'm not holding my breath though...

To be honest i think the scrappier the game the better for Hearts.

Our style suits hitting teams on the break.

Having watched the Edinburgh derby i think Hearts will be going route 1 to Sutton and Ngoo will feed off the scraps.

Thank f**k Skacel is away. Wouldn't be much point turning up if he was playing.

Will be disappointed if the lad Sander Puri walks straight into our starting XI on Sunday.

It would be a bit harsh on some of the team, even though we haven't been great recently...

I'd imagine Lennon will have him on the bench unless one of our wide players is carrying a knock....

I'm starting to get properly excited/nervous about the game now, despite the fact I can't go, which i'm still gutted about. I shall be watching it on television though from my work, hoping for a victory.

It's going to be completely different to the league match a few weeks ago anyway, and should be fairly tight, i wouldn't be surprised if it went to penalties although i hope it doesn't

To be honest, the longer the week has gone on the less & less I've been any decent at work as it's been creeping up on me. Excited & nervous in equal measures, I suppose.

You're right about the difference between now & the last league game; you can take that one with a pinch of salt now. As for Sunday, I don't care if it goes to penalties or how it's done just as long as I'm celebrating back in Paisley on Sunday night.

Esma came from nowhere and started against Celtic at Hampden. 8 minutes into his debut he scored and he ran them ragged for the rest of the game. Hearts will know nothing about this lad at all, which could benefit us. With his pedigree and international experience i would have no issues throwing him straight in the team. Harsh on the player left out but if he scores the winning goal i'm sure our fans won't grumble too much.

Puri dead brilliant 8)

Esma came from nowhere and started against Celtic at Hampden. 8 minutes into his debut he scored and he ran them ragged for the rest of the game. Hearts will know nothing about this lad at all, which could benefit us. With his pedigree and international experience i would have no issues throwing him straight in the team. Harsh on the player left out but if he scores the winning goal i'm sure our fans won't grumble too much.

Puri dead brilliant 8)

If we signed John Potter and he scored i'm pretty sure all would be forgiven (well some of it anyway). Whoever does score for either side is likely to be remembered for a long long time.

It's likely to be one of the few bits if not only bit of silverware the majority of these players will manage to get their hands on in their careers.

The pre-final nerves are getting to me big time! :(

Before last year's final, I just couldn't see us losing it. We had too many players who combined skill with a winning mentality. A "winning mentality" has generally been lacking this season and we've often thrown away points in the league even when we've played well. Although oddly enough, the cup run has been the opposite. I think Zaliukas had a big hand in that, though. If he was playing I'd be far more confident.

As for St Mirren, they've got Thompson and Teale who are probably on their last chance to win a trophy and won't be fazed by the occasion. I think Thompson, in particular, has the potential to be the match winner. We've also got about 5/6 right-backs and players who can play right-back out injured. Giving a 19 year old CB his full debut out of position against Goncalves is a worrying prospect.

I have no idea what to expect on Sunday but if I enjoy it even half as much as I did our last final then that'll do me. 8)

Archived