Heart of Midlothian vs St Mirren

SEETHING

Yeah. Difference is, you have been here a few times before. For us (taking the Rangers game 2 years ago out of it as we weren't expecting anything in the build up), this is more or less new territory.

Definitely. Hearts fans are much more used to cup finals than us. Can't imagine how i'll be feeling on Sunday and Saturday night.

I hope my post didn't seem disrespectful towards St. Mirren at all by the way - as I'm sure if Saints were playing/had played Morton in a cup final it would be the exact same. I certainly don't want to start taking cup finals for granted either!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest have Hearts players been out and about at local schools with the trophy as part of the "communities" thing? Nice seeing Saints players doing it but would rather they didn't take the cup with them seeing as it isn't ours to display at the moment! Would be a bit happier knowing Hearts have done the same thing.

Here's the cup that Hearts officials took round all local schools....

post-11339-0-70107100-1363034941_thumb.j

Not yet I don't think. Perhaps we'll be doing it one or two days later on in the week, though.

Probably not - we've been at it for the best part of a month. Players go out to a school with the trophy while the kids come in in Saints gear. That's the idea anyway but it doesn't always go to plan...

lee-mair-paisley-panda-and-david-van-zan

Hopefully the closest anyone wearing maroon will get to it this year.

Yeah. Difference is, you have been here a few times before. For us (taking the Rangers game 2 years ago out of it as we weren't expecting anything in the build up), this is more or less new territory.

Definitely. I thought I'd be OK with it having had that a few years ago but I spent today doing even worse work than normal (quite an achievement for me). Can see the rest of the week just being a mess. Thankfully Saturday night shouldn't be too bad as I'm out and no one should be talking about football - although no doubt I'll manage to crowbar it into every conversation.

Also means I'll have the joy of driving up from Dumfries first thing on Sunday - and the forecast is for snow!

Definitely. I thought I'd be OK with it having had that a few years ago but I spent today doing even worse work than normal (quite an achievement for me). Can see the rest of the week just being a mess. Thankfully Saturday night shouldn't be too bad as I'm out and no one should be talking about football - although no doubt I'll manage to crowbar it into every conversation.

Also means I'll have the joy of driving up from Dumfries first thing on Sunday - and the forecast is for snow!

I woke up this morning thinking the game had been yesterday and we'd lost! Why? We'll, I'd had a dream that we lost the final 1-0. Nicholas Anelka hit the bar from 3 yards out for us, before changing his shirt to maroon one, running up the park, knocking in Hearts' winner then running away to their support before pulling his shirt off again to reveal a Swansea/Real Madrid shirt (the gold 3 striped one).

Fucking bizarre. Still, didn't stop me being in a huff. :lol:

And PS, nah, I don't think you're being disrespectful or anything like it. You're understandably more used to being in this situation as a Hearts fan than we are as Saints fans.

Here's the cup that Hearts officials took round all local schools....

attachicon.gifcharity.jpg

:lol:

Probably not - we've been at it for the best part of a month. Players go out to a school with the trophy while the kids come in in Saints gear. That's the idea anyway but it doesn't always go to plan...

lee-mair-paisley-panda-and-david-van-zan

Hopefully the closest anyone wearing maroon will get to it this year.

:D

I know that we definitely had some schemes similar to that with the Scottish Cup at the start of the season.

Hopefully things like that also make some kids think twice about gloryhunting the Old Filth.

:lol:

:D

I know that we definitely had some schemes similar to that with the Scottish Cup at the start of the season.

Hopefully things like that also make some kids think twice about gloryhunting the Old Filth.

That's fair enough, it's your trophy after all. The League Cup isn't ours and the stuff we've been doing for the last few weeks is too much like tempting fate to me. Mind you, I got a bit worried at work today when someone brought my my tea in my cup that has St Mirren written all over it.

Can I just say, I'm enjoying the banter with the Jambos. Cup finals without the bigot brothers are braw'.

That is all. Good to know that if we lose, at least the Jambos, who are going through a tough time losing players and with uncertain finances will have something to celebrate...

Mind you, I genuinely hope we give you a doing. No offence!

Can I just say, I'm enjoying the banter with the Jambos. Cup finals without the bigot brothers are braw'.

That is all. Good to know that if we lose, at least the Jambos, who are going through a tough time losing players and with uncertain finances will have something to celebrate...

Mind you, I genuinely hope we give you a doing. No offence!

Im just looking forward to some competition in a final, last years was almost embarrassingly easy.

I'm in the same boat as PS. If we win it will be amazing and I'll be delighted but winning would never top the celebrations and sheer elation of the Scottish Cup, just as I would of been far more gutted losing that final that I will this. I honestly have no idea how this will go. A lot of times we have played StMirren in bigger games they have come at us all guns blazing and generally done well ( semi a few years back and cup game at Tynie last season). Pressure that they won't be used too might prove too much but hey its all to play for.

Do the Buddies think Carey will start? Lennon has a habit of playing him against us and more often than not he scores. Being a Paisley boy myself has definitely added a nice spice to it though!

C'mon the JTs :D

Do the Buddies think Carey will start? Lennon has a habit of playing him against us and more often than not he scores. Being a Paisley boy myself has definitely added a nice spice to it though! C'mon the JTs :D

I don't think Carey will start. All reports are suggesting Goodwin will start in the final, so my prediction is that it will be the same team that started against Dundee United apart from Goodwins inclusion. Dummett started at centre half and Carey at left back on Saturday. Goodwin will come straight in beside Cheesy and he will either move Dummett to left back and drop Carey or drop Dummett. When he's had the choice between those two he's always played Dummy. I therefore expect we will line up as:

---------------Samson

Van Zanten-Goodwin-McAusland-Dummett

Teale-Newton-McGinn-Goncalves

---------------McGowan-------------

---------------Thompson---------

SUBS:

Adam (GK)

Imrie

Barron

Guy

Carey

I really hope we win :)

Do the Buddies think Carey will start? Lennon has a habit of playing him against us and more often than not he scores. Being a Paisley boy myself has definitely added a nice spice to it though! C'mon the JTs :D

I don't think Carey will start. All reports are suggesting Goodwin will start in the final, so my prediction is that it will be the same team that started against Dundee United apart from Goodwins inclusion. Dummett started at centre half and Carey at left back on Saturday. Goodwin will come straight in beside Cheesy and he will either move Dummett to left back and drop Carey or drop Dummett. When he's had the choice between those two he's always played Dummy. I therefore expect we will line up as:

---------------Samson

Van Zanten-Goodwin-McAusland-Dummett

Teale-Newton-McGinn-Goncalves

---------------McGowan-------------

---------------Thompson---------

SUBS:

Adam (GK)

Imrie

Barron

Guy

Carey

I really hope we win :)

I believe that will be the team, barring any training ground injuries.

We really need McGowan to get close to Thompson, and at least one of McGinn or Newton to support them as well as the wide players.

We were terrible at the weekend, due to the midfield being so deep and Thompson being so isolated...

I won't be able to go as I'm offshore, but hopefully I'll be able to watch it on tele and celebrate a saints victory.

I think Danny will start with the same team that started against Celtic in the semi. It worked well with Goncalves ahead of Carey on the left, and Teale ahead of DVZ on the right. Carey carries a goal threat from free kicks, and supplies quality crosses for Thompson / Goncalves / McAusland to attack. In short, Carey could be a match winner, Dummett simply isn't. This time, I think Carey will start ahead of Dummett. I hope Danny starts with the semi final team anyway. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Subs bench is more of a problem. Only five places. Sam Parkin and Jon Robertson could be in the stands wearing club suits. If Dougie Imrie isn't even on the bench, I don't think he'd take that too well.

Decisions, decisions. For me - semi final team to start again. Fire them up by telling them they were the men who beat Celtic, and that you trust them to go out and perform like that again.

I think Danny will start with the same team that started against Celtic in the semi. It worked well with Goncalves ahead of Carey on the left, and Teale ahead of DVZ on the right. Carey carries a goal threat from free kicks, and supplies quality crosses for Thompson / Goncalves / McAusland to attack. In short, Carey could be a match winner, Dummett simply isn't. This time, I think Carey will start ahead of Dummett. I hope Danny starts with the semi final team anyway. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Subs bench is more of a problem. Only five places. Sam Parkin and Jon Robertson could be in the stands wearing club suits. If Dougie Imrie isn't even on the bench, I don't think he'd take that too well.

Decisions, decisions. For me - semi final team to start again. Fire them up by telling them they were the men who beat Celtic, and that you trust them to go out and perform like that again.

I agree, i think he should start Carey and leave Dummett out. I just don't think he will. Dummett has started every single game when he's been here bar one, and that was his first game back. He is better defensively than Carey but Grahams set pieces, crossing and shooting is a superb weapon which Hearts know all about.

It will also be interesting to see what he does with Kenny McLean, he never even made my bench. No matter what Danny does there is going to be some upset senior players sitting in the stand on Sunday.

Div is a good sub due to his versatility and Guy for his pace, i expect them both to be on the bench. That leaves two places for Carey/Dummett, McLean, Imrie, Parkin, Robertson and Mair if he makes it. There is also the unknown factor of Sander Puri signing before the end of the week. With 47 caps for Estonia he will expect to at least make the bench.

Choices choices. I suppose it's better to have this dilemma than not.

I think Parkin will be in a suit because Guy offers more as a sub coming on against a tiring defence. I think Jon Robertson will be in a suit because Dougie Imrie offers more than he does, and can play in a few different positions. I think Kenny McLean will be in a suit because frankly he has been gash in recent appearances. We'll need Adam - tempting fate if we don't. It would be so typically St Mirren. Don't name a keeper and the ginger ninja gets hurt. We'll need Barron because if ANY of our defenders go down injured, he can do a job.

That's Adam, Barron, Guy, and Imrie for certain in my opinion. The fifth sub will be Carey / Dummett, depending on Danny's thinking regarding the starting XI.

The possibly fractious one would be if Danny puts Dougie Imrie in a suit, gives McLean a spot, and McLean comes on and performs like a big dis-interested jessie again.

On our team, the Hibs game on Sunday should have been a glaring enough realisation that we are a completely different team compared to playing on our smaller more familiar backyard.

Sutton should not be starting. He will quite comfortably fade into the background unless we have more of the possession in the final third which I severely doubt.

Our full backs will probably be McHattie and McKay, with Mullen now out. It wouldn't surprise if they stuck Barr in there, and played the more experience Tapping next to Taouil. Because neither of the full back options are known for getting forward, our back four will be as rigid as they come, which is one of the main reasons we've tightened up in our last two games. So St. Mirren's two wingers will get plenty of chances to run at them.

On the flanks it will definitely be Stevenson on one, and hopefully Walker instead of the fading Novikovas on the other. In the middle Barr would be my preferable choice and I still would rather have Holt ahead of Taouil. Taouil might be a better player for a battle, but Holt is looking like a better player every time I've seen him, and we'd keep the ball so much better with him.

Ngoo, is the obvious pick and I'd rather we had the mobile Smith next to him. Smith is excellent at timing his runs and having two fairly agile strikers against what looks to me, a somewhat static defence would be quite effective.

I think you can sum up both teams selections by the fact that the St. Mirren team pretty much has already picked itself, contrasting to ourselves where, mostly because of Mullen's injury and no recognized right back, could mean a lot of re-positioning of the team.

Archived