General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

Danica on pole for the Daytona 500

I seen that last night, it's just a shame that it's on Premier Sports. I'm sure I'll find a stream somewhere for the race. I also noticed the Sebring 12 hours is on the same weekend as the F1 opener from Australia. :thumbsdown

Speaking of Australia, the V8 Supercars series will be interesting this season, instead of just Ford vs Holden, Mercedes and Nissan are competing this year. I love the Nissan Altima Norton car. I know a few people that hate colour scheme but I love it. I'll post a photo of it later if I can.

I seen that last night, it's just a shame that it's on Premier Sports. I'm sure I'll find a stream somewhere for the race. I also noticed the Sebring 12 hours is on the same weekend as the F1 opener from Australia. :thumbsdown

Speaking of Australia, the V8 Supercars series will be interesting this season, instead of just Ford vs Holden, Mercedes and Nissan are competing this year. I love the Nissan Altima Norton car. I know a few people that hate colour scheme but I love it. I'll post a photo of it later if I can.

Danica?? No way!! How the hell did she manage that???

I've subscribed to Premier Sports since they started showing Nascar.......not interested in anything else they show.

Its so predictable though...it started about £6 and has crept up to £10 now........grrrrrrrrrrr

Just watched the 'Sprint Unlimited'(formerly Bud shootout) and the video quality did seem to be better than before so lets hope it continues the whole season.

I cant rely on streams as I usually record the races and catch up over monday and tuesday...

Danica?? oh no.....i'll give her one...........................................erm lap :whistle

I'll have to try and find a stream for Daytona. Good on Danica. I'm not a fan but she got the job done.

Been working on my Jim Crawford book quite a lot this week. I have to call Ronnie Peterson's ex chief mechanic tomorrow. He worked with Ronnie from his F2 days right through his JPS Lotus period. He also worked with Jim at Lotus and later at the Indy 500. If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll try to get an answer.

I'll have to try and find a stream for Daytona. Good on Danica. I'm not a fan but she got the job done.

Been working on my Jim Crawford book quite a lot this week. I have to call Ronnie Peterson's ex chief mechanic tomorrow. He worked with Ronnie from his F2 days right through his JPS Lotus period. He also worked with Jim at Lotus and later at the Indy 500. If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll try to get an answer.

What other books have you done so we can check them out?..........you seem very well connected.

First round of the Scottish Rally Championship abandoned after a spectator is killed on the first stage :(

Yep was going to head to Tain for the 2 stages behind there when I heard the news, first heard that it was 2 people injured so first thought was the occupants of the car where hurt but as more news trickled through the day the clearer it became. One of the guys I have taken photos with in previous years was at stage 1 this year. He was saying that it was the worst he's seen the spectators for a long time, not as bad as the Group B days but did say there was a number of idiots who seemed to stay on the track till the car was 50/60 meters away. Not saying this is the cause of the accident or not, but this kind of behaviour has been creeping in over the years at the Snowman.

Hopefully this is not another sign of a bad year for the Scottish Rally Championships, last year we had a similar accident in the Granite rally.

What other books have you done so we can check them out?..........you seem very well connected.

This is actually my first book. I'm working on two at the moment. The Jim Crawford one and my friend's autobiography that I'm basically ghostwriting.He was Scottish world champ Jock Taylor's passenger in sidecars.I know a few racing people but I've been very lucky with the Crawford book. He was so well liked that everyone has been very willing to talk. My friend David Hutson in the US (racing photographer,he took the pic that's my avatar) talked me into writing Jim's bio. He also introduced me to various people. I'd estimate I've spoken to around 80-100 people so far for the book including Tommy Byrne (great character,tells it how it is), Derek Daly (suffered similar injuries to Jim), Roberto Guerrero (lovely guy), Rick Mears (four time Indy 500 winner), Bobby Unser, Mark Scott (chief engineer on Buick's Indy programme), Bob Fernley (current Force India director), Roman Kuzma (famous Indy team boss) plus many others. Thinking about approaching Franchitti to perhaps write the foreword. He loves his racing history and knows all about Jim. My big regret is not getting the chance to speak to Dan Wheldon. One of his neighbours was friendly with Jim and he'd suggested I call Dan to get his perspective on driving at Indy (this would be around the time of his second 500 win). I kept putting it off and, well, we all know what happened.

When these two are out of the way I'd love to get stuck into a bio of Jock Taylor.There was one being written but sadly the author passed away. I have quite a lot of material on him and know some of his friends and family. I think it would be a good read.

Definitely a fanatic! I knew JYS had driven a few F1 cars but some of them are new to me. The Wolf and the Renault turbo.

On closer inspections these models seem to be one he has either made or altered himself :(

This is actually my first book. I'm working on two at the moment. The Jim Crawford one and my friend's autobiography that I'm basically ghostwriting.He was Scottish world champ Jock Taylor's passenger in sidecars.I know a few racing people but I've been very lucky with the Crawford book. He was so well liked that everyone has been very willing to talk. My friend David Hutson in the US (racing photographer,he took the pic that's my avatar) talked me into writing Jim's bio. He also introduced me to various people. I'd estimate I've spoken to around 80-100 people so far for the book including Tommy Byrne (great character,tells it how it is), Derek Daly (suffered similar injuries to Jim), Roberto Guerrero (lovely guy), Rick Mears (four time Indy 500 winner), Bobby Unser, Mark Scott (chief engineer on Buick's Indy programme), Bob Fernley (current Force India director), Roman Kuzma (famous Indy team boss) plus many others. Thinking about approaching Franchitti to perhaps write the foreword. He loves his racing history and knows all about Jim. My big regret is not getting the chance to speak to Dan Wheldon. One of his neighbours was friendly with Jim and he'd suggested I call Dan to get his perspective on driving at Indy (this would be around the time of his second 500 win). I kept putting it off and, well, we all know what happened.

When these two are out of the way I'd love to get stuck into a bio of Jock Taylor.There was one being written but sadly the author passed away. I have quite a lot of material on him and know some of his friends and family. I think it would be a good read.

See if you can interest Dario and his racing relatives to invest in a wee SPL team.........from Paisley ;)

See if you can interest Dario and his racing relatives to invest in a wee SPL team.........from Paisley ;)

Sadly he supports Celtic :(

Having managed to get a drive because she got married, Susie Wolff/Stoddart is now getting a TV programme - laughably titled "The Fastest Woman in the World" - because her brother is a directorr: http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/tv-and-radio/female-scottish-f1-driver-to-be-featured-in-tv-documentary-1-2800136

Sadly he supports Celtic :(

Having managed to get a drive because she got married, Susie Wolff/Stoddart is now getting a TV programme - laughably titled "The Fastest Woman in the World" - because her brother is a directorr: http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/tv-and-radio/female-scottish-f1-driver-to-be-featured-in-tv-documentary-1-2800136

:lol:

Ridiculous. Reminds me of that series that was on Sky recently following Britain's most promising young drivers or, should I say, those with rich daddies.

:lol:

Ridiculous. Reminds me of that series that was on Sky recently following Britain's most promising young drivers or, should I say, those with rich daddies.

I didn't watch it but I think there were a few snide remarks on Midweek Motorsport about their choice of driver.

Terrific stuff in the Daily Mail: "Susie Wolff is tipped to be the first woman racing driver." Admittedly not as bad as some of their ill-informed nonsense after Dan WHeldon's death but still ridiculous.

More chance of him investing in Cowdenbeath I think. We do have a world class motor sport facility after all.

I'm old enough to have seen a Formula One driver race at Cowdenbeath, I'll try and post a picture of him.

Was on the phone to Ronnie Peterson's mechanic earlier. Once he'd answered my questions about Jim Crawford we chatted about Ronnie for 20 minutes. Some very interesting stuff that I never knew, and he confirmed my suspicions about Ronnie finishing runner up to Andretti in 1978.