General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Final IndyCar race of the season and great to see it back at Laguna Seca. So many great memories of the likes of the Andretti's, Unsers, Bobby Rahal, Emo Fittipaldi,Nigel Mansell etc. The Corkscrew is the equal best corner in all of motor racing along with Eau Rouge in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 19:47, jimmy boo said:

Bathurst 1000 from Mount Panorama on BT and Nascar Cup from Talladega on Premier this weekend. Anyone else watching?

Yeah, got the V8 Superview setup on the laptop for Bathurst, the TV is hooked up with the last hour of Petit LeMans at Road America.  That gets knocked onto the F1 as soon as it finishes.

I mean whoever scheduled all these races to be on at the same time needs to have a word with themselves.....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't typically watch much NASCAR but the delayed Daytona 500 was on a couple of screens in the pub tonight as I was playing trivia. Every time I looked up, there was another crash and then a brutal crash right at the end where Ryan Newman's car went into the wall, landed on its roof, got slammed by a car behind and scraped over the line. Fire and fuel pishing out of it, I genuinely felt I was about to watch someone die. He was taken out of the car behind black screens and rushed to hospital. Doesn't look good.

Don't typically watch much NASCAR but the delayed Daytona 500 was on a couple of screens in the pub tonight as I was playing trivia. Every time I looked up, there was another crash and then a brutal crash right at the end where Ryan Newman's car went into the wall, landed on its roof, got slammed by a car behind and scraped over the line. Fire and fuel pishing out of it, I genuinely felt I was about to watch someone die. He was taken out of the car behind black screens and rushed to hospital. Doesn't look good.
His injuries have been discribed as serious but not life threatening

12 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
54 minutes ago, MSU said:

His injuries have been discribed as serious but not life threatening

Right. Which could mean anything; brain injury, loss of liimb, but at least he's alive. Watching the accident again, it wasn't difficult to assume he'd been killed.

Ryan Newman has an engineering degree and has been criticizing NASCAR for at least a decade about their inaction over speeds and cars getting airborne on the restrictor plate tracks (Daytona and Talladega) and now he's seriously injured in a crash where his car got airborne.  I can't watch these races because they feel like the WWE of racing and promoting crashes for the fans amusement.  Hope he recovers

Here is a good article about Newman's safety campaign that fell on deaf ears

https://www.racing-reference.info/showblog?id=3618

Ryan Newman has an engineering degree and has been criticizing NASCAR for at least a decade about their inaction over speeds and cars getting airborne on the restrictor plate tracks (Daytona and Talladega) and now he's seriously injured in a crash where his car got airborne.  I can't watch these races because they feel like the WWE of racing and promoting crashes for the fans amusement.  Hope he recovers
Here is a good article about Newman's safety campaign that fell on deaf ears
https://www.racing-reference.info/showblog?id=3618
Good article.