General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone actually view nascar.com properly? Mine is still an unreadable dogs breakfast! Really looking forward to tonights race from my favourite track, Talladega...boogity boogity boogity :thumsup2

Talksport site is unreadable too :thumbsdown

For those into collecting model cars (like me) www.modelzone.co.uk has a sale on at the moment. A fair few rally and sportscars in it for a tenner of pop. One of the Allan McNish ones I wanted is already sold out - sure it's just coincidence it's recently popped up on eBay at twice the price it was going for at Model Zone - still cheap by eBay standards mind you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's that time of the year again, the ferry, campsites, hotels and gig tickets have been booked and I have been saving up the beer tokens since last November.....come the end of the month I'm Isle of Man bound again.

Last year was my first visit to the island and my first road race as a spectator, went to the bottom of Bray Hill and when the first bike went past I, along with many others, fell in love with the race. To see a bike reach somewhere between a 180 mph on public roads, ducking around a traffic light post and being so close that you can feel the air pressure from the front of the bike as it screams past, is something that I would recommend to be put on anyone's bucket list. This year I'm a lot more prepared, I'm taking over my new camera lens and a shit load of batteries since camping does hinder the ability to charge anything, hoping for some better weather than last year where it rained for the last 3 days of the race week.

With the NorthWest 200 proving to be a washout, hopefully that's all the bad weather being used up and we get a drier race week than last year, but it's not great for some of the riders who had been planning to use the NW200 for testing. I'm personally hoping to take in some of the Ramsey sprints during Mad Sunday, the Post TT races in Castletown after the last Senior race along with some banger racing Onchan which I had all missed last year because I knew not what I was doing.

Can not wait......sleeping is becoming a difficulty again, I'm like a kid at Christmas.

I have managed to get another interview set up with Allan McNish. This time it's a phone chat ahead of Le Mans but I'll still try to record it and put the file up on here afterwards. If anyone has any questions - probably of a Le Mans/WEC nature than anything more general - post them here and I'll try to ask them. AUdi have said it's OK for me to ask readers questions so I'll be asking about various things anyway.

On another note, never thought I'd see the day when a 14 car pile up failed to meet the hype: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/formula-1/grandprix/monaco/8732226/major-crash-in-monaco

Anyone watching the shambles at the Nascar race from Charlotte? Some of the cabling from Fox Sports camera which zips about all over the track and infield has come loose and got snarled up in some of the cars causing much damage and a red flag period!! I'm just glad i'm off work tomorrow. Think the coverage passes on to the other broadcasters after this race.........which is another shambles!

Watched the Indy 500 last night. Over a 100 lap spell at one point without a caution, which is pretty impressive. Then two in the last 10 laps. With Franchitti having a shocker Kanaan was the guy at the front I most wanted to win so was pleased he finally did it.

If I was into conspiracy theories I'd think it was a bit dodgy Dario crashed to end the race under yellow and ensure his mate won...

Watched the Indy 500 last night. Over a 100 lap spell at one point without a caution, which is pretty impressive. Then two in the last 10 laps. With Franchitti having a shocker Kanaan was the guy at the front I most wanted to win so was pleased he finally did it.

If I was into conspiracy theories I'd think it was a bit dodgy Dario crashed to end the race under yellow and ensure his mate won...

I didnt realise it was on ESPN until the other day. Two weeks ago I cancelled my current subscription as it'll be free with BT in the summer. Was at work yesterday and couldn't get a stream on my phone......grrrrrr

So glad the TK finally got a win, having come 2nd a number of times, one of them under yellow I'm sure, it was fantastic to see him finally join the winners club.

Also, with TK winning mean's that the '3 Amigo' are immortalised on the trophy, a fitting tribute to Dan, Dario and Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

Since he is bound to win as Tom Kristensen is in his team, does he have any celebrations planned? :P

Nah, in seriousness though, how big a difference does the closed cockpit make, eg, hearing and seeing other cars?

A big difference in terms of visibility - caused his crash in 2011. Prefers open cockpit when it's raining though!

I'll upload the audio after my stuff has been printed if anyone wants a listen.

Here's the Allan McNish article: http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/dumfries-sport/other-sport-dumfries/2013/06/14/mcnish-ready-for-le-mans-51311-33469827/

And here's the audio file of the full thing. On speaker phone in a small, echoey room but still clear enough. Questions from folk on here are towards the end: https://www.dropbox.com/s/na0wcvp2a95fybu/AllanMcNishJune2013.WMA

Will leave you in peace about this now :P

Edited by Stu

Nice article Stu, McNish always seems to be very articulate whenever he's interviewed....especially if it's by the Radio Lemans lot.

The TT racing was amazing, never rained once when I was out and I must have been one of a handful of spectators who avoided getting burnt in the sun. Michael Dunlop was on a different level for the majority of the week, just so much faster than the rest but the current King of The Moutain, McGuinness pulled it out on the Friday with an astounding ride. Obviously there was a nasty incident down Bray Hill on the Senior race, luckily there was no deaths and looks as if all who had been injured will be making a full recovery. Hopefully this doesn't affect the viewing at Bray Hill as it was a freak accident but can't see that being the case, the organisers will have to make a change there and that will be restricted viewing.

Some photos from a Sidecar practise session and the Supersport Race 1

9041816905_d6326c0f55_z.jpg

9041798063_31b0141b7b_z.jpg

9041792579_ee40919741_z.jpg

9043602826_84cf454e0f_z.jpg

9041327899_35de6ce5af_z.jpg

9041370655_d930e032ea_z.jpg

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Nice article Stu, McNish always seems to be very articulate whenever he's interviewed....especially if it's by the Radio Lemans lot.

The TT racing was amazing, never rained once when I was out and I must have been one of a handful of spectators who avoided getting burnt in the sun. Michael Dunlop was on a different level for the majority of the week, just so much faster than the rest but the current King of The Moutain, McGuinness pulled it out on the Friday with an astounding ride. Obviously there was a nasty incident down Bray Hill on the Senior race, luckily there was no deaths and looks as if all who had been injured will be making a full recovery. Hopefully this doesn't affect the viewing at Bray Hill as it was a freak accident but can't see that being the case, the organisers will have to make a change there and that will be restricted viewing.

The three main Scots in international racing in the last few years - McNish, Franchitti and Coulthard - all seem to speak pretty well. Think Paul Stewart Racing used to give media training to their drivers and I'm fairly sure all three drove for them so that could explain it. Although di Resta speaks well too and had nothing to do with PSR.

Are the sidecar drivers in your photos actually clinging on behind the rider at that part of the course :o

Edited by Stu

The three main Scots in international racing in the last few years - McNish, Franchitti and Coulthard - all seem to speak pretty well. Think Paul Stewart Racing used to give media training to their drivers and I'm fairly sure all three drove for them so that could explain it. Although di Resta speaks well too and had nothing to do with PSR.

Are the sidecar drivers in your photos actually clinging on behind the rider at that part of the course :o

That would make sense, McNish is fantastic on 5Live when he's on.

The passengers are actually trying to get over the rear wheel and keep it on the ground as the head out of the dip.

Jose Froilan Gonzalez passed away yesterday at the grand old age of 90. Gonzalez was a two time winner in Grand Prix racing both times the British Grand Prix in 1951 and 1954 for Ferrari.

Robert Manzon is now the only surviving driver from that first official season in 1950.

Sad to read also about the death of Nascar driver Jason Leffler in a sprint car race at Bridgeport a week ago.