General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

It's a hydrogen fuel cell engine by the way, not just electric.

I've not read anywhere about it being a hydrogen fuel cell, it certainly didn't mention it in the press release. Are you thinking about the hydrogen car using Garage 56 at this years Le Mans 24 hours? If I'm wrong, fair enough.

I'm actually quite interested about it, just like I was with the Delta Wing. I see arguments for and against it and both sides have valid points. Like Mackie The Staggie said though, at least they are trying something different and if it benefits road cars in some way, good.

Nissan are saying it's a long term plan etc etc. How many times have we heard that in Motorsport? If Nissan/NISMO fail to make the technology work in 2014, how many more years and money will they throw at the project?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM9veTjC48Q&feature=em-uploademail

Big fan of this guys videos, seems to capture the atmosphere and sums up motorsport for me perfectly.

The clips of Cevert at the beginning are from a 1970s film called 'The Quick and the Dead.' Very rare to find now. Has some great footage, particularly of the old Montjuich Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Final call for this season's Fantasy F1. Go to www.fantasyracers.com register a team then search for and join the league "We know what we're doing." First race is on Sunday so not much time left.

Currently at 16 teams which is good - would be nice to hit 20.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Sky have dropped Indycar........does anyone know where we can watch it on sunday or will it have to be a stream?

BTW....Nascar nationwide series is free on Motors TV saturday night.

Think ESPN have the Indycar rights now.

Kubica a minute clear in the rally he's doing!

Sebastien Loeb might be competing in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this year, I doubt he will be challenging to win it or anything but I do find the whole event fascinating. That insane Japanese driver in his even more insane 1000+ BHP Suzuki's always make me smile.

The BTCC 2013 season starts this weekend at Brands Hatch. 32 cars on the grid too, great news, considering how bad the grids were in the early 2000s.

I didn't see any of the Indy Car race at the weekend, how was it?

Not a particularly exciting race but a couple of highlights:

Franchitti came out of the pits on cold tyres and went into the wall and the first corner after pit exit.

Will Power got taken out by J R Hildebrand running into the back of him behind the safety car.

Other than those lol moments a pretty meh race.

i see this saturday's the annual running of the Charterhall Stages Rally, 2nd round of the Scottish Tarmac Rally Championship. Might possibly go over to spectate, depends on the fettle tomorrow morning. Never made the Border Counties last week due to being snowed in.

Originally a WW2 airfield it was turned into a race circuit during the 50's and 60's most famous for where Jim Clark started his racing career.The airstrip is still used,well it was last time i was there, 3/4 of a mile long which was the main straight on the race circuit .Would have liked to have gone to a race meeting there but before my time. Looking like this could be the last running of a motorsport event at the venue due to the cost of the repairs needed to the roads.

Anyone catch the BTCC at the weekend. Nice to see that the numbers are back up, although some where obviously not ready are still attempting to resolve teething problems. Looks like it should be another decent season, the big 3 (Shedden, Neal and Plato) seem to be agian the one to fight for the title, although there is a number of drivers who are going to be in and about at each race.

Race 3 however had a massive crash when Rob Austin was tagged by a spinning Newsham out of Paddock Hill, Austin is ok, but intially they thought that the car was a write off, but after closer inspect it looks as if the subframe and Cage are ok so he should be back for Donnington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctmyY5tkrc

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Anyone catch the BTCC at the weekend. Nice to see that the numbers are back up, although some where obviously not ready are still attempting to resolve teething problems. Looks like it should be another decent season, the big 3 (Shedden, Neal and Plato) seem to be agian the one to fight for the title, although there is a number of drivers who are going to be in and about at each race.

Race 3 however had a massive crash when Rob Austin was tagged by a spinning Newsham out of Paddock Hill, Austin is ok, but intially they thought that the car was a write off, but after closer inspect it looks as if the subframe and Cage are ok so he should be back for Donnington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctmyY5tkrc

There were a lot of similar accidents yesterday- think there was at least one in the Ginetta series too!

How can you be excluded from the race but still get the ballast for finishing third?

Always been the way, probably so you don't gain an advantage by not having the ballast. Not been unheard of for guys like Plato, Neal and Shedden to start at the back of race two with no ballast following a retirement and comfortably getting on the podium - think that may be what Shedden did in race two!

Always been the way, probably so you don't gain an advantage by not having the ballast. Not been unheard of for guys like Plato, Neal and Shedden to start at the back of race two with no ballast following a retirement and comfortably getting on the podium - think that may be what Shedden did in race two!

It'd just utter nonsense though, you can't be disqualified and have the ballast, that's like having your cake and eating it too.

• 3 weeks later...