General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

That was the first Indy500 I've missed for decades as I'm abroad on holiday and didn't think I'd get away with 3 hours of it after watching Monaco pish for hours. Will need to catch up when home though....and the Nascar 600 miler.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Just booked tickets for the Glasgow Tigers speedway at Ashfield on Friday night? Anyone been before? It'll be my first time at the speedway and I'm looking forward to something different. 

I've been watching speedway for since I was about 3 years old. Should be a decent meeting,on Friday night it's a  top of the table clash , I'm a regular at Berwick most Saturday nights I've not been at Glasgow since before the pandemic, new owners have certainly improved the stadium from the dump it was previously. 

• 2 weeks later...

So disappointing to see the state of the Toronto IndyCar track now. Track surface itself is a disaster...pits now on the wrong side with a dangerous looking wall on entry....finish line now on a nothing corner for some reason....less grandstands on what used to be the finish line straight and the whole place just looks very tired and not ready for what should be and used to be a top class round of the series. I was there in 1992 in packed grandstands at the back of the circuit next to the Gardiner Expressway which have been long gone for years now. I think the city should have skipped this rushed ( no pun intended) return and done it properly next year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Never watch NASCAR but watching that clip, why did nobody else try it? Seems like they’re all just going single file and there’s a massive gap on the outside, has nobody else ever thought of that before?

On a short track like this, the inside line is King.  Unlike other NASCAR tracks which you may be more aware off (Daytona, Dega....the one's where they are almost flat out all the time) here in the quarter mile tracks there is heavy breaking into the corners....if you leave the inside open someone will put there nose in and push you up towards the wall, losing many positions as everyone runs noses to tail here.

What Chastain did was basically just bounce/wreck his car around the wall on the outside, using the wall to complete the turn rather than turning himself.  Obviously that's a one hit tactic as the car would be too damaged to do much more than a lap like that....in retrospect he's a tad fortunate that the car didn't suffer an significant failure in the steering which would have seen him shot hard left across the other cars.

Wouldn't be surprised if NASCAR introduce a ruling prohibiting this happening again.

EDIT: Onboard shot is just insane...

Edited by Mackie The Staggie