General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

2 hours ago, Jeek said:

I wonder if JPM might try to get in a Toyota seat for next year to try and beat Fernando to it.... Or lose out by a month!

Pretty sure he tested a Porsche LMP1 a few years ago in pre-season testing, but despite being quick enough no deal materialised.

Alonso has (from everything that I could see) signed on for the whole super-season in the WEC, which finishes at next years Le Mans.  If Alonso doesn't get the 500 next year I wouldn't discount the possibility that he has a veto on drivers just to avoid that possible scenario.

• 3 weeks later...

Some pretty sad news coming from the Skerries 100, William Dunlop sadly lost his life in an accident earlier today.

Going to admit this has hit me like a tonne of bricks, William was a lot less intense then his younger brother, more approachable and a fantastic rider who didn't always get the recognition he deserved (curse of the Dunlop name, people would always expect greatness). 

Another painful day with the news of the death of James Cowton after an incident in the Southern 100 in the Isle of Man tonight.  Also involved in the incident was Jamie Coward, Micheal Evans and Ivan Lintin, all three riders have been taken to hospital with Lintin in a critical condition.

Not been a great week.

Was informed late last night and I'm at quite a low ebb. It's all a bit too much what with losing William Dunlop too :( 

I didn't know James well but had raced him (and was well beaten :lol: ) a couple of times a couple of years back. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I do know Ivan though and he visited us just before he left for the TT. I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

I've heard Michael and Jamie are not too badly hurt so hopefully they'll recover and be back on it soon.

Edited by Trackdaybob

• 2 weeks later...

Watching practice for the Indy Car race at Mid Ohio (great circuit) this weekend and great to hear Al Unser Jr being interviewed about his role at Harding Racing this season as driver coach.  Hopefully he's over his past demons and good to hear him reminisce about his career in the 90's when IndyCar was at it's best with so many great teams and drivers which was the era I got into it. 

2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Watching practice for the Indy Car race at Mid Ohio (great circuit) this weekend and great to hear Al Unser Jr being interviewed about his role at Harding Racing this season as driver coach.  Hopefully he's over his past demons and good to hear him reminisce about his career in the 90's when IndyCar was at it's best with so many great teams and drivers which was the era I got into it. 

You'd like the podcasts from Dinner With Racers at www.dinnerwithracers.com and Marshall Pruett at www.marshallpruett.com (or on iTunes etc). Lots of lengthy chats there with guys from American racing past and present.

You'd like the podcasts from Dinner With Racers at www.dinnerwithracers.com and Marshall Pruett at www.marshallpruett.com (or on iTunes etc). Lots of lengthy chats there with guys from American racing past and present.
Sounds good Stu.....I'll check them out[emoji106]

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Huge fucking crash in the Indys just now at Pocono.  Wickens and Hunter-Ray got together in the opening laps and Wickens went into the catch fencing.  A very violent crash which for me brings but memories of Las Vegas 2011.

Hoping for the best.

Eventually announced he was a wake and alert in the medical centre prior to being transferred to hospital by helicopter. The longer time passed with no news I really feared the worst. Race restarted after 2 hours but repairs to catch fencing didn't looked too clever and Sebastian Bourdias seemed to be angling for a boycott until sorted. Rossi looking strong.

In less harrowing news, both Toyotas disqualified from the WEC race at Silverstone. Meaning a 1-2 for rebellion after being 4 and 5 laps down respectively.
Both cars failed skid box deflection tests

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Anyone know why he did it? Must be a reason surely?

Earlier on in the race, Manzi dove down the inside of Fenati and made slight contact and both riders lost time, Fenati coming off the worst of the both riders.  For his part in that incident Manzi has been given a 6 grid place penalty.   I think there has been a bit of an issue between the 2 riders throughout this season and Fenati lost his temper.

Fenati has also lost his ride for next year with MV Agusta, their manager Giovanni Castiglioni saying that it does not represent the values of the company and he will do everything in his power to make sure he doesn't race for them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just sat for 2 hours watching this all about the BTCC, loved it from start to finish, well worth a watch. I was just a wee bit too young to realise how crazy the super touring days were, though I remember a lot of the cars and drivers.

£10.5m on just the racing part of the team at one stage, in the btcc....mental.

Anyway, they're 45 mins each.

Part one; 

part two;

part three;