Documentary Films

YouTube etc now gives him a platform to do whatever he likes. I would imagine he's off the smack too, so that's probably helped a little as well.

I saw them in Amsterdam last year when they were touring their album. They were tight live but he had his usual hissy fit towards the end and walked off.

Is the movie titled 'Zidane' or is it the 21st Century Portrait thing?

Zidane - a 21st century portrait is just ninety minutes of Zidane's face while he c***s it about the Bernabau with a nice Mogwai soundtrack in the back. Arthouse pretentious garbage basically.

Zidane - a 21st century portrait is just ninety minutes of Zidane's face while he c***s it about the Bernabau with a nice Mogwai soundtrack in the back. Arthouse pretentious garbage basically.

Aye, I know.

No Google searches returned a documentary called 'Zidane' though, so I fugred I'd ask.

I saw them in Amsterdam last year when they were touring their album. They were tight live but he had his usual hissy fit towards the end and walked off.

Yep i was there as well, it was Matt Hollywood that stormed off he appeared through a door behind me muttering he'd "never play with that asshole again"

Went to see "The Act of Killing" tonight. If I knew how to post a video from my phone I would put up the trailer. An incredible film that is pretty hard to describe. On again at the GFT tomorrow night. Well worth a visit.

The Bridge. It's about the people who kill themselves by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge every year. They actually filmed 23 people killing themselves but it's far from gore. They interviewed friends and family of the jumpers and it's really well done. It's really harrowing to watch, but a great insight into depression.

You can watch it here

Just watched this, thought it was very well done.

The scene with the father describing how he knew his son was dead and was just waiting for the police to turn up at the door was harrowing.

Once Brothers - Very interesting again. Interested in that part of history so right up my street.

Definitely a very good documentary but I knew just enough about the former Yugoslavia to notice they left out a very important detail. Petrovic is a very Serbian sounding name and when I googled to check it turned out the ardent Croatian nationalst guy actually had a Serbian father. That left me wondering what more had been left out to simplify the story for an ESPN audience.

Have to echo what somebody said about Adam Curtis documentaries always being worth a look. His latest All watched over by machines of loving grace really helps the viewer to understand what led to the credit crunch.

thanks to this thread been watching some of the 30 for 30 documentaries.

Very good documentaries, the once brothers is a very good watch.

I found Once Brothers outstanding.

I take LTL's point about the war itself to have been pretty generalised, however there is no denying the authenticity of the message and the emotional impact it had. Certainly on me.

No question it was a superb documentary. After watching it I did some googling to find out what the reaction was in Croatia to it and some people including former teammates of Divac and Petrovic were very skeptical about Divac's sincerity but Petrovic's family, including the older brother who was also a famous basketball player and their teammate on the Yugoslav national team, were strongly supportive of him and the accuracy of the documentary.

• 1 month later...

I Tivo'd 'The Imposter' when it was on a few nights ago, an utterly bizarre watch. Essentially a serial conman and identity thief/imposter cons his way into a group home by pretending to be a teenage runaway (he's not a beast, it's OK). Through various circumstances he ends up posing as a missing American teenager of three years - despite the face he looks different and speaks with a French accent, the family 'believe' him and take him in for three months.

It gets a little dark towards the end when various involved parties put forward their thoughts on what really happened to the missing boy but it's worth a watch.

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' - a documentary about the best sushi chef in the world, his absolute dedication to perfection, and how that has affected his relationships with his family.

Jiro is the only sushi chef in the world with 3 Michelin stars, his restaurant only serves a 20-piece sushi tasting menu (at $350 each), the meal takes 20 minutes but he is booked for months in advance. The dedication is revealed in the film - Jiro has made sushi for 75yrs, only trusts certain people with his produce purchases, and makes his apprentices earn their stripes (10 years to become trained, one student attempted a tricky piece of sushi 200 times before it was accepted, and the octopus has to get 'massaged' for 45-50mins, not 30!)

It's a really well-shot film, and definitely recommended if you enjoy Japanese food and culture.

Edited by Euan_M

King of Kong is worth a watch. Baffling & brilliant in equal measures.

The amount of lies and spin in that movie is unreal. So much so that a counter documentary was made. I won't deny its entertaining, but it perfectly demonstrates how selective editing can be used to manipulate viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fszs371Le0Y

As for documentaries worth watch here is three I can think of. Largely because they challenge peoples common perceptions.

Fidel - The Untold Story

South of the Border

National Geographic - Alcatraz Breakout New Evidence (sorry, can't find a link)

Edited by Fotbawmad