Documentary Films

Agreed with the positive recommendations for the ones I'd seen, so been checking out most of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Control Room - Fascinating. The US army spokesman who "doesn't like War" :lol: now works for Al Jazeera. I got the sense that he was actually a decent bloke, which probably made him completely unsuitable for that job.

Dear Zachary - With all the "don't read anything about it beforehand" chat, I was half expecting Rick Astley to make an appearance.

I really liked it but hated how they dealt with the kid's death. It just felt really naff. I found myself getting a lot more emotional at the standard eulogy stuff than the major dramatic moments. Still brutal though

80 Blocks - This is Fly 25 years on apparently...

What was with all the Swastikas? How does that work? :huh:

Once Brothers - Very interesting again. Interested in that part of history so right up my street.

Edited by SodjesSixteenIncher

Catching Hell - The ESPN film about that cubs fan( steve bartman). Amazing how it scarred him

Enron - Smartest guys in the room

The king of kong - about video games and the quest to be the greatest

The War room - american politics

Without Bias - ESPN film about basketball player Len Bias

Food Inc

No end in sight

I think they were just trying to be obnoxious and sinister with the swastikas, I doubt if any of them knew too much about it.

I was quite impressed with some of the rig-oot on display in 80 Blocks. They make some of the gangs in The Warriors look like conservative dressers.

Yeah, I got the impression that most of them weren't too culturally aware. At one point one of the lads is talking about how he used to get up to all kind of mischief and casually as you like drops in that he used to rape people. :unsure:

Watched this one today - The Pirate Bay: Away From Keyboard. Follows the founders of Piratebay as they face prosecution n Sweden. They're all quite flawed characters, which makes it really interesting.

Incidentally for documentary lovers, the website I've linked there, Documentary Heaven, should keep you busy for days.

I know its been said many times but I can't recommend the 30 for 30 ESPN films enough...

My favourite might just be June 17, 1994 - about the media reaction to the OJ Simpson manhunt, and how that appears to have been a turning point in US Sports/broadcasting/celebrity culture.

V cool.

Also Michael Moore deserves more menchies on this thread. That is all.

I know its been said many times but I can't recommend the 30 for 30 ESPN films enough...

My favourite might just be June 17, 1994 - about the media reaction to the OJ Simpson manhunt, and how that appears to have been a turning point in US Sports/broadcasting/celebrity culture.

V cool.

Also Michael Moore deserves more menchies on this thread. That is all.

That OJ one is mad because no one is interviewed it's all just snippets from the news.

911: who is this

Al cowlings :my name is AC, you know who this is god damn it

Lol classic.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is absolutely brilliant. Compelling stuff.

I Am Trying To Break Your Hear about Wilco is great too. Particularly the wee sub-plot throughout about the break up in the relationship between Jeff Tweedy and Jay Bennett.

Edited by JamboMikey

• 2 weeks later...