Documentary Films

Anvil is a cracking film.

Has anyone mentioned The Imposter yet? Released last year, and one of the most compelling things I've seen for a while. Link to the trailer below:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=auG_IuMHGZo

Edited by alternative maryhill

Into the Wild

is writer/director Sean Penn's adaptation of the popular book by Jon Krakauer, a nonfiction account of the post-collegiate wanderings of a young Virginia man, who divorces himself from his friends, family, and possessions in search of a greater spiritual knowledge and communion with nature.

Not a documentary though, is it? I loved that film, good recommendation.

For the musos among us, having thoroughly enjoyed the pomposity of Dig!, The Devil And Daniel Johnston is a fascinating study of the cult musician, and of course the holy grail of rockumentary films is The Last Waltz.

Edited by Savage Henry

For the musos among us, having thoroughly enjoyed the pomposity of Dig!, The Devil And Daniel Johnston is a fascinating study of the cult musician

Another great film. The scenes with Sonic Youth are watching-through-the-fingers stuff. I picked this up, bundled with End of the Century, the Ramones doc, and The Mayor of Sunset Strip, about Rodney Bingenheimer, for a fiver in Fopp - a great bargain.

My 2 favourites are

Darwins Nightmare - pretty moving stuff about fishing for Nile Perch in Lake Victoria, basically there's a famine and they are catching thousands of fish and selling them to europe, while the locals have nothing to eat. One of those you watch and end up thinking the worlds F**ked

Big River Man - Story of the crazy slovenian Martin Strel as he attempts to swim the full length of the Amazon, proper Heroic stuff

My 2 favourites are

Darwins Nightmare - pretty moving stuff about fishing for Nile Perch in Lake Victoria, basically there's a famine and they are catching thousands of fish and selling them to europe, while the locals have nothing to eat. One of those you watch and end up thinking the worlds F**ked

Big River Man - Story of the crazy slovenian Martin Strel as he attempts to swim the full length of the Amazon, proper Heroic stuff

I caught that one on Channel 4 a few years back. Quality stuff. The Amazon is a fucking hideous looking river. The fact that he gets all fucked up by it bears this out.

I caught that one on Channel 4 a few years back. Quality stuff. The Amazon is a fucking hideous looking river. The fact that he gets all fucked up by it bears this out.

I read up on some of his other swims, seemingly the Yangtzee is much much worse than the Amazon in terms of pollution etc, nearly killed him swimming that.

Love his bottle of red wine everyday, thats my kind of fitness regime

Religulous is a good one. Shows religion for the utter pish it is.

Loved religulous - Bill Maher is a cracking observer of American life. How could you get a worse job than working in a theme park for the summer?

Working as Jesus in a theme park for the summer!

When you see how gullible/credulous/stupid Americans can be when it comes to religion, add in the amount of influence Christianity has in the USA, it becomes clear why the whole shooting match is going to ratshit.

Also - Anvil! is genius - almost a carbon of Spinal Tap, but for real. The Transylvanian(? It's been a while) gig where they look round the massive arena before the gig then play to about 10% capacity is hilarious and heart-breaking all in one.

Inspired by this thread, i dug out Anvil and watched it on Sunday night. If i recall correctly, the capacity of the aforementioned arena was 5000. 149 turned up. It was quality at the end to see them play to a packed arena in Japan though.

Re Religilous; it always amuses me how religious folk say how strong their faith is, yet when they're questioned many flounce off in a huge huff

Dear Zachary - Thanks to Port-ton, the poster who first brought this one up. I've just watched it and was moved to tears, angered, shocked and impressed by humanity's resilience. An absolutely brilliant film, which should be watched by all.

Just - come to it cold, like I did.

I watched Riding Giants again the other night. Its outstanding both in terms of the stories that it tells and in the cinematography. Some of those guys are quite frankly nutjobs.

Lots of the ESPN 30 for 30 films are a great watch too. The Birth of Big Air, The Band that Wouldn't Die and Straight Outta LA are all well worth a watch. As mentioned before ESPN make sports films better than just about anyone else.