Documentary Films

Fucking hell that was brilliant. That is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to discover in this thread. Got anything else on similar subjects?

Cheers. Downloaded that. That's my evening's entertainment sorted.

On a similar vein, The Devil Came on Horseback is about Darfur, Sudan. Pretty powerful stuff.

Bad 25 when it was on TV was pretty interesting, Spike lee did a good job of it

Man on a wire - Incredible

When we were kings - Another awesome one, even James Brown made an appearance in it.

Supersize me - Made me really want a McDonalds

March of the penguins - Purely for Morgan Freeman's narration

Just watched "Dear Zachary", I'm shattered. It's one of the most moving and powerful things I've ever seen.

As others have said, know nothing going into it.

Yeah, this. Thoroughly agreed.

It's absolutely not what you think it's going to be about.

4 days in October is on ESPN America in 15 minutes.

It's damn good viewing IMO.

Baseball based, Red Sox haven't won the World Series in 86 years. 3-0 down in a best of 7 to reach the final. Based on the four days that followed.

It's available online too, sorry if your looking for heavier stuff in this thread!

Sky had a documentary channel last year. Think it's gone now but a lot of the suggestions were on it. Must have watched about 20 on there. Probably replaced by some reality quiz show pish.

Yeah, television is pish these days. I watch more stuff online than I do on telly now.

I'd never really listened to BJM until I saw this a couple of years ago. Downloaded a few tunes and gradually got into them, culminating in seeing them live in a dingy wee club in Amsterdam last summer. True to form, Anton had a hissy fit and stormed off-stage during Straight Up And Down after a row with the rest of the band.

It is an excellent documentary.

There's not one person who comes out of that documentary well. Not one. What an almighty clusterfuck of a band, and a documentary. Brilliant stuff. I've got that record they're making at the beginning of the doc.

I laughed quite a while after the French police walked off with four t-shirts.

GasLand is a good watch. Especially when the guy can set fire to his own water supply.

There was also one about mass food production in the US which was horrific. Can't remember the name just now. Edit: Food.inc

Watched that with the girlfriend a couple of weeks back. She's now vegetarian. Although it was from about 2008, it was a real eye opener into how a small number of massive corporations have completely unchecked control over the lives of ordinary americans.

Sky had a documentary channel last year. Think it's gone now but a lot of the suggestions were on it. Must have watched about 20 on there. Probably replaced by some reality quiz show pish.

There shitloads of good feature length documentaries on Netflix. Quite a few of those mentioned here included.

Waltz with Bashir is very good, all about the Lebanese war in the 80's. Guy has went round and spoke with people from the time and there stories/memories are then annimated to show what happened. Very unique style but very good.

"the house i live in" about the USAs so called war on drugs,it was on bbc4 a couple of nights ago,very good and thought provoking

Excellent - just watched it tonight. Thought the two most telling points were the targeting of various drugs originally through social rather than harm factors, and the description of a "slow-motion Holocaust" - which seems like a sensationalist statement, but is hard to argue with once the director puts his ducks in a row. Definitely worth watching, and I'll be recommending it to friends in and out of the CJ system.

p.s. Also, the escalation in the number of prison places, and the profits and employment opportunities created by same - just needing the raw materials....

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

<br />King of Kong is worth a watch. Baffling & brilliant in equal measures.<br />

Forgot about that one. It's hilarious, especially when his wee boy starts shouting that he needs a poo just as he's about to get the high score.

Some very strange people in this - everyone should watch it.