Documentary Films

• 3 months later...

Have been checking out the schedules of PBS America and Sky Documentaries on a weekly basis of late and recording anything that looks interesting. 
A lot of “meh”, but some that merit recommendation.

Tread - A welder in America moves to a small town, but feels victimised. He decides to take action. 

Baby God - Fertility doctor decides to use his own sperm to impregnate his clients. 

McMillions - Discussed on the TTAODYOTTRN thread, the FBI investigate fraud within the McDonalds Monopoly game. 

The Bridge. It's about the people who kill themselves by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge every year. They actually filmed 23 people killing themselves but it's far from gore. They interviewed friends and family of the jumpers and it's really well done. It's really harrowing to watch, but a great insight into depression.
You can watch it here
The Bridge is worth a watch.
It’s basically a documentary about people who jump from the Golden Gate Bridge. Interviews with their family and friends. Also interviews with one or two who actually survived their attempt.
Link in the first post still works for anyone interested.

On 06/02/2021 at 14:13, Funky Nosejob said:

Have been checking out the schedules of PBS America and Sky Documentaries on a weekly basis of late and recording anything that looks interesting. 
A lot of “meh”, but some that merit recommendation.

Tread - A welder in America moves to a small town, but feels victimised. He decides to take action. 

Baby God - Fertility doctor decides to use his own sperm to impregnate his clients. 

McMillions - Discussed on the TTAODYOTTRN thread, the FBI investigate fraud within the McDonalds Monopoly game. 

The Ken Burns Vietnam documentary series is on PBS just now. It is well worth a look.

On 07/02/2021 at 18:50, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Ken Burns Vietnam documentary series is on PBS just now. It is well worth a look.

His Vietnam war and Civil war documentaries are excellent , I didn't really have an interest in the civil war at first , but , it was really engaging stuff. 

7 hours ago, pandarilla said:
18 hours ago, 8MileBU said:
One for the boxing fans on here - 
Lennox Lewis: The Untold Story

Where can i get that?

You can buy it on DVD from Amazon or you can buy or rent it for about £4 from Amazon Prime or YouTube.

Spoiler

Or you can check your DM and it may be there for free.

You can buy it on DVD from Amazon or you can buy or rent it for about £4 from Amazon Prime or YouTube.
Spoiler

Or you can check your DM and it may be there for free.

I just watched this and it's very good.

They handle the kellie maloney thing issue very well.

I also had no idea how much of a good guy lewis was /is. Cool as f**k and a really genuine guy.

I also like that they focused on the Canadian police and how they handled him when he railed against society. Excellent policing.

28 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I just watched this and it's very good.

They handle the kellie maloney thing issue very well.

I also had no idea how much of a good guy lewis was /is. Cool as f**k and a really genuine guy.

I also like that they focused on the Canadian police and how they handled him when he railed against society. Excellent policing.

Yeah, the man is coolness personified. 

On 17/02/2021 at 13:15, Funky Nosejob said:

Searching for Sugar Man
Investigators try to find out the truth about Sixto Rodriguez, whose early 70s albums are huge in South Africa and influenced many of the anti-apartheid artists. Rumours are he committed suicide on stage in his native America. 

This is great, although the mythology of him is a bit overblown. Sone of his stuff is excellent. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched he Framing Britney documentary last night and thought it was very good and interesting. As above, a bonkers situation that I knew nothing about.

It was the ideal length at 1 hrs 11 mins too. It did a little on her rise & background but not too much, followed by a good overview of the last few years. Netflix would have strung that out into a series if they'd done it.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

On 12/10/2020 at 05:31, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Looking forward to this one;

On Sky Documentaries Sunday at 9.00 and Thursday at 11.00.

Another recommendation...
The Soul of America 
John Meacham explains that everything you thought was a new low for America under Trump was pretty much just history repeating itself. (Sky Docs - Tuesday 11.00) 

• 1 month later...

Fake Famous 
American journalist Nick Bilton takes 3 “unknowns” and attempts to turn them into social media influencers.

Spoiler

I wasn’t surprised at how it was done, but was as to the extent of how it was done. 
Three very different outcomes, none of which was ultimately negative.

• 3 months later...

One of the BBC Storyville series, "Collective, unravelling a scandal".  

I thought it was a fantastic watch. After the 2015 'Colectiv' night club fire which initially took 27 lives and scores injured with burns. Over the coming weeks, more of the injured died in hospital.  What transpired is that the hospital authorities had purchased masses of disinfectant at a cheap price, diluted it, and then resold the diluted disinfectant to the hospitals at huge profit.  The diluted disinfectant wasn't able to remove various strains of bacteria, thus resulting the further loss of life.  One of the few free press agencies got hold of the story, uncovered it, and with the eventually help of a new health minister that seemed to care, the story became public knowledge.

An absolute enthralling, frightening and at times very poignant documentary. It's on iPlayer.

Apologies if this has been posted further back in the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching the Woodstock 99 documentary.

They keep on asking why this happened and why young men are so angry and violent and there are loads of complex reasons but no one has mentioned the Attitude era which I think has to take a huge amount of the blame.

Seeing constant bottles flying, horrific bogs and insane crowds pre second barrier is taking me back.

Some women just said no one in the world wants to listen to Limp Bizkit then take a pill and watch Moby.....

Edited by Detournement