Documentary Films

Off sick and thought I'd browse Netflix for something to pass the time.

I watched Kurt and Courtney - from 1998. A really eye-opening documentary - especially considering the guy who made it (Nick Broomfield) basically inspired the style of Michael Moore and Louis Theroux. If you're a fan of their work and haven't seen this I definitely recommend it.

Then I watched We Are Legion: the story of Hactivism. Quite freaked out by this actually. Its essentially a brief history of internet freedom - and how hackers can get organised and change world. It actually scared me a wee bit in terms of thinking about where power lies in the world - and how it is wielded. It also shows where all (or certainly most) of the internet memes began their life.

• 10 months later...

The Crash Reel is probably the best documentary I've watched in the last year or so.

It's about a top snowboarder, Kevin Pearce, who comes a cropper during Olympic training and his subsequent rehabilitation, doesn't sound too great but it's an incredibly powerful wee film......and the soundtrack is fantastic!

Good thread

A couple that I don't think have been mentioned

BEWARE MR BAKER (about drummer and all round mentalist ginger baker)

THE LION CUB FROM HARRODS( about two guys who bought a lion cub from harrods and when it got too big released it back in Africa)

HERCULES THE HUMAN BEAR( story of Scottish wrestler and his bear Hercules)

Two of my favourites not yet mentioned:

Man With A Movie Camera- a silent film about 1920s culture, Russian city life and cinematography itself, by the experimental film director Dziga Vertov. There are well over 1000 different shots in this one-hour documentary, some of which put the eponymous camera man (Mikhail Kaufman) in mortal danger, and we get to see him hanging out of speeding cars and jumping in front of trains in amongst his amazing 85-year-old camera work, way ahead of its time in many respects, and, as of very recently, combined with a soundtrack that complements it perfectly. It should be compulsory viewing in teaching cinematic technique, shot composition and film language. I think it's one of the best films ever made.

Nostalgia de la Luz/Nostalgia For The Light- directed by Chile's Patricio Guzman, set in the heart of the Atacama Desert examining the history of his country, and the mysteries of the desert.

The Atacama, Guzman tells us, is so hot, salty and dry that not even the smallest plant life can grow there. It's as close to the surface of Mars as known on Earth. The open sky is a window into space, and Chilean scientists talk about the cosmos, infinity, life and time.

Because nothing grows there, everything is preserved. There are markings made by ancient shepherds thousands of years ago that remain clear today, but more recently, in the middle of the 20th century, the Chileans were persecuted by dictatorship, imprisoned and executed in concentration camps in the desert, their bodies disposed of for miles around. To this day, their descendants search for their bones. The survivors and descendants give deeply emotional interviews.

The documenter values the astronomical and the human secrets of the Atacama as much as each other. As he examines the stars he's trying to work out where we came from, and as he looks on the ground he's finding out who we really are. He also shoots the film exquisitely. Documentary film is a powerful method of education and enlightenment, but it’s also an artistic medium capable of outstanding beauty. Nostalgia For The Light gave me both those gifts.

The Crash Reel is probably the best documentary I've watched in the last year or so.

It's about a top snowboarder, Kevin Pearce, who comes a cropper during Olympic training and his subsequent rehabilitation, doesn't sound too great but it's an incredibly powerful wee film......and the soundtrack is fantastic!

I saw this quite recently and agree. It really hammers home brain injuries and what an effect they have on a person and their families lives. You hear about injuries and think nothing of it, just wonder when they'll be back, but its not always that simple. Was a very good documentary.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump, used this thread a few years back for stuff to watch, some great suggestions. New ones on Netflix if you're into them are Dirty Money and Betting on zero, but you might have to be into the genre.

In terms of docuseries I've watched recently,  The Jinx, OJ:Made in America, The Keepers and The Staircase were all compelling.

Just starting the Amanda Knox one on Netflix as we speak!

• 2 years later...