Documentary Films

I prefer documentary films to normal ones but they are less high profile and so you don't hear as much about them. List your favourites and what they are about. My personal interests are sports documentaries, political documentaries and ones about messed up countries like Iran, Burma, etc but a good documentary can make any topc fascinating.

Inside Job - excellent doc narrated by Matt Damon, about the banking crisis of 2008, how it built up and how it was a scam by the banks.

The Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore's famous environmental one which reall hammers home the severity.

Super SIze Me - really interesting doc about the impact of fast food and how bad it is for people, economy, environment, etc. He also eats nothing but McDs for a month but investigates side issues as it goes along.

Undefeated - real life Friday Night Lights, about a coach in high school (american) football in a bad part of town, really emotional.

Crips and Bloods Made in America - really well made documentary about the rise of black gangs in LA.

Shout out to Louis THeroux's Weird Weekends, I really like his style.

The Bridge. It's about the people who kill themselves by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge every year. They actually filmed 23 people killing themselves but it's far from gore. They interviewed friends and family of the jumpers and it's really well done. It's really harrowing to watch, but a great insight into depression.

You can watch it here

Night and Fog for an unsensational and hence more moving depiction of the Holocaust.

Earlier Michael Moore - before he started believing his own publicity. Although it was Karmic to see GM getting the same treatment in "Capitalism" that they'd given Michigan in "Roger and Me".

Oh, and I must disagree with the Al Gore entry. Hypocritical c**t with a PowerPoint fetish, IMHO.

ETA: Night and Fog (Nuit et Brouillard)

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

The Bridge. It's about the people who kill themselves by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge every year. They actually filmed 23 people killing themselves but it's far from gore. They interviewed friends and family of the jumpers and it's really well done. It's really harrowing to watch, but a great insight into depression.

You can watch it here

I might give this a watch if I can find the time. Can you download it for later?

SENNA.

Im not a fan of motorsport at all, in fact i find it tedious.

This however was an enthralling watch.

In fact the last half hour with all the footage from that San Marino grand prix is as heartbreaking as it is gripping.

A quite sensational docu-film

SENNA.

Im not a fan of motorsport at all, in fact i find it tedious.

This however was an enthralling watch.

In fact the last half hour with all the footage from that San Marino grand prix is as heartbreaking as it is gripping.

A quite sensational docu-film

It was great and obviously a touching chart of the tragedy.

However, what I took out of it more than anything is how poorly the coverage of the sport is. It was so gripping because you got to see the personality of the drivers through coverage of the driver meetings and their interactions with one another which just isn't present in broadcasts and would benefit the sport no end to people such as yourself who are turned off of it.

I might give this a watch if I can find the time. Can you download it for later?

I doubt it, unless you can rip the video from that site. It's there and free, and I would have thought it would be easy enough to download a copy from somewhere.

If you do watch it, let me know what you thought of it.

I doubt it, unless you can rip the video from that site. It's there and free, and I would have thought it would be easy enough to download a copy from somewhere.

If you do watch it, let me know what you thought of it.

I'll probably just bookmark it then mate, thanks for the link.

I will do. I might get the chance tomorrow.

I really liked Super Size Me, I didn't go near a McDonald's or Burger King for about 5 years after watching that.

Bus 174 is excellent, A Brazilian documentary about a failed robbery attempt by a young guy in Brazil who held a whole bus hostage for 4 or 5 hours. It really was brilliant, I was quite moved by the end of it. It really shows how desperate some people in the favelas in Rio get.

Terror In Moscow. A documentary about Chechen Rebel's seizure of the Dubrovka Theater in Moscow in 2002. Eyewitness accounts from hostages and authorities involved in the crisis. It is available to view on 4OD if you want to watch it.

I watched a documentary on BBC 4 last week or the week before about the Treblinka death camp in Poland from World War 2. I really can't comprehend and don't really want to think about the horrific scenes that these poor people witnessed but it really was a great documentary.

Paper Clips. Just typing about that Treblinka documentary reminded me about this beautiful documentary about a school somewhere in America who decided to collect 6 million paper clips to represent the amount of people killed in the holocaust. An absolutely brilliant documentary.

I would also recommend Senna and the 30 for 30 series from ESPN, particularity The Two Escobars but most of the 30 for 30 series is fantastic.

Best documentaries I've seen

Hoop Dreams - following two players trying to make it to the NBA. Brilliant

Spellbound - following US kids competing at Spelling Bees

Être et Evoir - spelling might be wrong but following a French primary teacher

One Day in September - On taking of Israeli hostages at Munich Olympics

Touching the Void - story of a climbing accident

Anything by Nick Broomfield - Aileen Wournous, Biggie and Tupac, Heidi Fleiss all memorable

Capturing the Friedmans is genuinely disturbing but highly watchable and Grizzly Man is similar and also surreally comic

The smartest guys in the room - its about the rise & fall of Enron , its brilliant.( it was shown on More 4 & the whole film is on Youtube)

Recently I have been watching the ESPN 30 for 30 films , some of them are really good , the one about Miami University's football programme in particular.

America really know how to make real life sport feel like a movie, I love the America's Game series by NFL Films, give one a try even if you aren't a big fan of the sport, so well made and emotional. The 30 for 30 films are great as well, Kings Ransom about Wayne Gretsky is brilliant as is Winning Time about Regie Miller, I have hardly any interest in hockey or basketball but both stories are gripping. The ones about the Springboks winning the world cup, Allen Iverson's trial and Pablo Escobar are all excellent as well.

I'm currently getting my hands on many of the suggestions so far, keep them coming.

Dear Zachary - A letter to a son about his father

Anyone who loves documentaries and hasn't seen this is a fool. Watch it! but don't, i repeat do not look up any details about it first or watch the trailer. Go into it with as little information as possible and it will blow your mind.

Dear Zachary - A letter to a son about his father

Anyone who loves documentaries and hasn't seen this is a fool. Watch it! but don't, i repeat do not look up any details about it first or watch the trailer. Go into it with as little information as possible and it will blow your mind.

I'm intrigued.

Is it available for download?