Krakow v Prague

Gaz FFC

Outside of Prague, is there anywhere else in the Czech Republic that might be worth a visit for a day? Also, if anyone here has been there often/lived there, I'm assuming that since it's fairly Central Europe, the country has a decent tolerance to the LGBT community? A quick look online suggests it's quite an accepting place.

In central/eastern europe there will be a good tolerance to the lgbt community in capital cities but the further out into the sticks you go you would be best keeping it to a low profile

Im only going to what ive been told by gay friends though

Oh aye and go to the brewery above the vt has suggested

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I looked into Plzen and the brewery and that seems very tempting for a day trip outside of Prague.

I've also noticed that Dresden only appears to be a couple hours away from Prague also. Somewhere I've always fancied going. I take it it's not too difficult to get a train there?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I looked into Plzen and the brewery and that seems very tempting for a day trip outside of Prague.

I've also noticed that Dresden only appears to be a couple hours away from Prague also. Somewhere I've always fancied going. I take it it's not too difficult to get a train there?

Use the german trains website to check for your dates n stuff

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Use the german trains website to check for your dates n stuff

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

I took the train from Prague to Frankfurt a few years ago, big comfy carriages They've probably replaced them with shitty modern commuter style ones now though.

P.S. Here's some info, only takes a couple of hours to Dresden. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k5509028-Train_tickets_from_Prague_to_Dresden-Prague_Bohemia.html

Dresden is an easy two hours on any of the Berlin or Hamburg trains, and once you pass Ústí, the Methil of the Czech Republic, it's a very scenic route through the 'Saxon Switzerland' on both sides of the border.

The Czech rail company České dráhy has an English page where you can book and print at home tickets in advance.

Outside of Prague, is there anywhere else in the Czech Republic that might be worth a visit for a day? Also, if anyone here has been there often/lived there, I'm assuming that since it's fairly Central Europe, the country has a decent tolerance to the LGBT community? A quick look online suggests it's quite an accepting place.

I've worked as a journalist for Mezipatra Queer Film Festival in Prague and Brno, which is held every year, and there's a vibrant LGBTQ community in the Czech Republic. Prague Pride happens every year, and the country is probably the most tolerant of any Central and East European country. That's not to say there aren't challenges.

Kutna Hora is an hour away on the train, St Barbaras church is there, been used in a few films and the town is a Unesco heritage site, You can get there on the Brno train. The Bone church is there also if you want to look at piles of bones, it amazes me how many people do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Barbara%27s_Church,_Kutn%C3%A1_Hora

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

I used to live on the edge of Prague 2 which has a large concentration of gay friendly bars and the only bother I ever saw was lesbians knocking lumps out each other, Its a pretty open minded place so you should have no concerns.

I'm not talking to whoever mentioned the salt mines outside Krakow, but it's nice and warm down there. I'd imagine Auschwitz to be a little chilly, especially in the winter.

The salt mines are worth it for the tour guide alone. "Lick the wall, it's really salt!"

The salt mines are worth it for the tour guide alone. "Lick the wall, it's really salt!"

She was very quiet during the tour about the Jewish thing, but when I asked her at the end of the tour what happened to it during WW2 she reluctantly agreed that Jewish prisoners were making parts for Messerschmitt.

itll be a bit nippy id have thought

great city,though.

Yeah this is the main thing I'm worried about but its the only time we can really go. Hence why a few other European cities are an alternative!

Yeah this is the main thing I'm worried about but its the only time we can really go. Hence why a few other European cities are an alternative!

the good thing about that is youll be in little doubt as to how the weathers going to be so you can pack accordingly.think krakows cheap as chips in winter

• 7 months later...

Me & the lad are going to Prague for his birthday next Feb for 5 days. 

I've read the thread & some interesting posts & links though some are now defunct. 

Anyone been there recently, best places to visit & tips etc? 

Grimbo 

16 hours ago, Grim O'Grady said:

Me & the lad are going to Prague for his birthday next Feb for 5 days. 

I've read the thread & some interesting posts & links though some are now defunct. 

Anyone been there recently, best places to visit & tips etc? 

Grimbo 

Grim, the tip is quite far out of town and not really worth going to, unless it's bin day. 

Archived