Anime Suggestions

P.C

33 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Subbed for me

Ah. I'm a heathen and wondered if the dub was behind (by 3 episodes it appears). Now I have to decide whether to watch the last 3 episodes with the subtitles or hawd on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm sure its been mentioned already on this weirdly old, resurrected thread but
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Not the new version. And unfortunately only the terrible Netflix dub.
But Eva. Eva Eva Eva Eva EVA!

I think you, or any other EVA fan, might enjoy the first few minutes of this documentary about the Czech hockey team https://t.co/2YYWp5h8Iq

• 1 month later...
Amazon getting all 4 of the reboot movies from August 13th.
Not sure how I feel about the reboots completely changing things, but I'll watch them anyway.

Fucking hell yes, I was watching for 3.0+1.0 so it’s class that I won’t have to hunt about for the movies in between.

Anyway, Misato til I die

On 09/04/2021 at 13:06, the jambo-rocker said:

I have officially caught up with the One Piece anime after starting it this year and I need to just say it's probably the best thing I've ever watched. It's a daunting amount of story but if you're looking for a real binge watching challenge I couldn't recommend it more.

Can someone please tell me I'm not alone here so we can talk about how good One Piece is? (especially this year, fucking hell)

Making a start on the rebooted Evangelion movies since they've gone live on Amazon today. They've not really made them easy to find on Prime. Pain in the arse hunting them to be honest.

I know a lot of folk don't like dubs but the original ADV dub wasn't terrible. Netflix fucked it for their version of the series. Amazon seem to have done worse with theirs. How can they use some of the original cast members and make Alison Keith's Misato sound absolutely terrible?

More unforgivable is the cuts they've made. First few minutes and Shinji's first meeting with unit 1. The movie on Amazon no longer has unit 1 ripping it's arm out the restraint to protect Shinji from the falling strip lights as he runs over to pick up Rei from her fallen gurney. Thats just unforgivable and completely removes something that gives a pointer to the character's relationship with unit 1.

Can we just stop fucking about with Eva? The original series was pretty much perfect - even the deeply cerebral ending. I don't think that End of Evangelion progressed things any, although it filled in some of the gaps. So far 1.11 or whatever they've decided to call it is just making cuts for the hell of it.

2 down and 2 to go.

They really have fucked it. I'll watch just to see it through, but the first 2 movies in the reboot have absolutely fucked it. Character development has been terrible and so much of the background is missing that it renders much of the actual plot utterly meaningless.

I wish they hadn't messed it up.

2 down and 2 to go.
They really have fucked it. I'll watch just to see it through, but the first 2 movies in the reboot have absolutely fucked it. Character development has been terrible and so much of the background is missing that it renders much of the actual plot utterly meaningless.
I wish they hadn't messed it up.

People are really high on 3.0+1.0 FWIW. I can’t jive with the VAs so far on 1.1, Misato sounds atrocious.

30 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

People are really high on 3.0+1.0 FWIW. I can’t jive with the VAs so far on 1.1, Misato sounds atrocious.

Which is strange since it's Alison Keith from the original ADV cast.

Trying to cram several hours of plot and character development into a little over 90 minutes is idiotic. Asuka basically now has no back story that explains why she's such an utter arsehole. There's no hint at a link between Shinji and unit 1. It's just wrong.

Eva 3.33 then.

A dumpster fire of hot burning garbage.

Whats so special about Asuka and Mari? Don't know. Don't care.

Whats the deal with the 2 spears? There was never 2 spears. There was only ever the Lance of Longinus and it had a very specific origin. There is no second spear other than because the writers need a reason for Kaworu to need Shinji.

We never actually get whats driving Gendo. It doesnt appear that it's a desire to be re-united with Yui in an eternal next life. Yui pretty much gets name-checked only.

The sad thing is that I'll watch the last one just to see how it ends, but so far all 3 movies have been completely pathetic.

Quite enjoyed 2.22. The first one didn't click at all and the same rubbisher voice actors still remain but it felt less depressing and the animation/ music is gorgeous. The vibe I'm getting from this and what folk are saying about 3.0+1.0 is that Anno's worked his issues out a bit over the years which is nice to hear.

On 15/08/2021 at 20:00, NotThePars said:

Quite enjoyed 2.22. The first one didn't click at all and the same rubbisher voice actors still remain but it felt less depressing and the animation/ music is gorgeous. The vibe I'm getting from this and what folk are saying about 3.0+1.0 is that Anno's worked his issues out a bit over the years which is nice to hear.

Finished them all. I don't think 3.33 or 3.0+1.0 were as good as 2.22 on reflection but wow Anno fully did it. No more Eva. Kinda liked the falseness of the final fight and the resolution through a conversation both characters have waited 25 years to have. Also laughed at Anno's conclusion being (at least from my initial reading) the world would be better without more Eva.