F**k Off Roberts

I think its 4 posts over 3 threads but you are right I haven't had any bites :angry:

I'll stop now.

Just checked, at present there are 24 places between Killie and Ayr in the leagues...........has the gap ever been bigger?

Earlier this season, after week 9, Ayr were 7th in Division 2- 26 places below Killie, who were 3rd in the SPL.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel sorry for Roberts in all of this. He was an absolutely brilliant player for us and clearly does have an affection for Ayr. It's pathetic that a lot of Ayr fans cannot get over the fact he once played for Killie.

Anyway, read through this thread and a lot of people saying Ayr will be one of the richer clubs? I'm not sure I agree with that. Which of our players do people think will be on decent wages?

Going through the side

Brown - ex Stenny and Forfar, small wage

McAusland - Youth loan from Rangers, doubt he will be on a massive wages as a Rangers youngster, also doubt we are covering the full wage

McCann - probably on a decent wage

Robertson - as above

Twaddle - good wage

Sinclair - Doubt he will be on a lot. Probably not very accurate but my mate is a Livi fan and he reckoned none of their players were on particularly high wages as they strolled through div 2+3 even though they were full time, and apparently one/two of the Jacobs brothers used to subsidise their Livi wages by working in Domino's :lol: so I don't think Sinclair will be on a wedge

McStay - Plummeted down the leagues, signed from Albion Rovers. low wage.

Crawford - Youth player - low wage

Hunter - released from Rangers will be on low wages i'd imagine

Marenghi - As above

Winters- signed from Annan, low wages

Moffat - Unsure, signed from Girvan so i'd imagine would of been on peanuts, unsure if he's ever signed a new deal since we signed him to give him a wage rise after being a valuable player for us.

Robertson, R. Youth, low wage

Shankland - Youth, low wage

McGowan - Signed from Alloa, no idea what he'd be on.

Campbell - Signed from Irvine Meadow about 7 years ago and have forfeited his wages since being injured.

Rest of our squad is largely made up of youth players.

What alot of clubs and footballers seem to forget is that the fans are their in essence their pay masters.

If it wasn't for us coming through the turnstiles weeks in week out their wouldn't have an existence.

So if the fan's aren't happy with what's being served up on/off the field then they are more than welcome to voice their opinion about it.

At the moment for Marko it's only going to get worse if he doesn't improve what we're seeing on the field.

He's the manager so the buck has to stop with him like it does in every other walk of life when someone isn't performing it's up to the manager to discover why and improve their performance.

Currently this isn't happening for a few of the players who consistently disappear during matches, more frighteningly it isn't the youth players it's the players you would look for, for experience like McCann and McStay.

On the plus side he's getting the best out of players like Moff / Winters who are giving 100% for the jersey every week but with no support from behind them it's a very fruitless endeavour at times and very frustrating to watch.

The problem here is that fans are idiots. People are idiots anyway, but add some "passion" into it and they become frothing at the mouth psychopaths. The very notion boards should run clubs on the basis of what vocal fans think is lunacy. Imagine St. Mirren boo boys running St. Mirren, the manager would never last two weeks and we'd only ever play under 19s players. Horrifying thought. Fans need to understand their views are usually moronic, and they have absolutely no "right" to vocally abuse anyone.

Anyway, read through this thread and a lot of people saying Ayr will be one of the richer clubs? I'm not sure I agree with that. Which of our players do people think will be on decent wages?

Obviously it's more or less impossible to guess a team's wage budget compared to other teams just by looking at the squads but I'd agree with you, I can't see that squad being on too much more than the average 2nd division wage bill. I think QoS will have the highest, Albion Rovers and Stranraer will have the lowest and the rest will probably be in a big group in the middle.

Another thing, looking through that squad, that strikes me is that a few Ayr fans should disabuse themselves of the notion that Ayr have a really good squad 2nd division, playing well below their capabilities. I don't think, on paper, that squad's much better than the average 2nd division level.

Feel sorry for Roberts in all of this. He was an absolutely brilliant player for us and clearly does have an affection for Ayr. It's pathetic that a lot of Ayr fans cannot get over the fact he once played for Killie.

Going through the side

Brown - ex Stenny and Forfar, small wage

McAusland - Youth loan from Rangers, doubt he will be on a massive wages as a Rangers youngster, also doubt we are covering the full wage

McCann - probably on a decent wage

Robertson - as above

Twaddle - good wage

Sinclair - Doubt he will be on a lot. Probably not very accurate but my mate is a Livi fan and he reckoned none of their players were on particularly high wages as they strolled through div 2+3 even though they were full time, and apparently one/two of the Jacobs brothers used to subsidise their Livi wages by working in Domino's :lol: so I don't think Sinclair will be on a wedge

McStay - Plummeted down the leagues, signed from Albion Rovers. low wage.

Crawford - Youth player - low wage

Hunter - released from Rangers will be on low wages i'd imagine

Marenghi - As above

Winters- signed from Annan, low wages

Moffat - Unsure, signed from Girvan so i'd imagine would of been on peanuts, unsure if he's ever signed a new deal since we signed him to give him a wage rise after being a valuable player for us.

Robertson, R. Youth, low wage

Shankland - Youth, low wage

McGowan - Signed from Alloa, no idea what he'd be on.

Campbell - Signed from Irvine Meadow about 7 years ago and have forfeited his wages since being injured.

Rest of our squad is largely made up of youth players.

"Ex-Stenny and Forfar- small wages" implies you expect they pay their players less than yours. I'll also point out that Annan pay their players bigger bucks than the likes of ourselves and Stranraer, so I'd imagine David Winters would have needed cash persuasion of triple figures to better Annan's offer. Your players will sign one or two-year contracts, so Mick Moffat's wage will have risen a fair bit.

Remember to add to that your youth setup, backroom staff and stadium costs, all of which are bigger than those of most Div 2 sides, as is your fan base. Not easy to speculate, but Queen of the South and Alloa are most probably the biggest spenders in the league. Ayr are probably third or fourth.

Some of ours are only just on 2 figures- Tony Stevenson's only too happy to document that he's on £10 a week. Considering the guy was a full-time footballer before he came to us, that's something to admire and respect.

I even heard whispers that some of PM's play-off team were on bonuses alone with no wage, not sure I believe that but we had lads like Greenlees and Terry something (the murder trial guy), could have been those guys in some sort of rolling trial.

To continue the Michael McGowan guessing game, I'll say £180pw.

The one the fans have a problem with is full-time. Guessing players' part-time earnings is fun in itself, but how much is Roberts on in his first desk job?

Well Reid was on a massive salary, not sure if true but folk were talking between 1k-4k a month, but that was talk, however he was full time, in every day etc, but Marko I'd assume will be on less than that.

Kind of the same way Rangers did. If you're a local tradesman/merchant/service provider, take nothing to do with overpaying football teams.

Queens have cut ther budget dramatically over the last three years so I am not sure they are overpaying.

Furthermore, I can't recall Queens or Ayr going into administration either, so comparing them to Rangers or Livi is ridiculous.

How can clubs like Ayr , Qos , Livi , pay out wages like they are doing !!

This is a comment which continues to crop up and one which our club are continually asked.

Most clubs (The Rangers excepted) formulate a wage budget at the start of the season . This is usually structured around income and workable overdrafts. Other management costs have to be factored in as well.

Most , if not all clubs have other forms of income than just gate money including sponsorship , merchandise sales , social clubs, lotteries etc.

Sometimes clubs get a bit of luck with a lucrative cup draw / TV money or the likes which frees up some extra cash to entice players. Mostly though , it is down to good PR . If the club is fairly well run and a manager can sell the club to a player , they will usually sign. With communication the way it is , players soon know which clubs to avoid !!

So basically it is not always money which attracts players . The reputation of a club is a major factor in the quality of many signings .

As a wee aside , we were at Stranraer yesterday and a perfect example of my last statement was seeing Armand One waddle onto the pitch ! Reputation personified !

MInd this is the support of the team,before the season started who were quite content to tell all the other teams in the league that they were nailed on champions,saw them at Gayfield early in the season chuck it when they were 3-2 down

Archived