Sons' sorrow

Fear not Dumbos.

You now have 2 goalkeepers and a striker signed up for next season.

Ach striker from St Johnstone, goalkeeper who's played for us since 2011, much of a muchness.

Anyway, that's good news about Jaz he's been sensational recently and it keeps Flappy on the bench. Could it also be a sign that Aitken is staying or am I getting too optimistic? 

Delighted to say that I was wrong about Jazza last year and he deserves that contract along with the number 1 jersey.  Hopefully this has a domino effect and other players sign up now.

Should also put to bed any feeling that Stevie might not be doing all he can to get players signed up with the interest from Raith.

Reported yesterday that dfc had been approached by raith, reported today that aitken has had a chat with them. Perhaps its just been as a courtesy as they go searching for a manager, but interestingly aitken doesnt dismiss a move but says that it is premature to suggest he's away.

Seems to me raith are looking to narrow down candidates or that stevie is waiting to see how the money works out.

If Stevie doesn't get the job it's far more in his interests to stay working hard with us and I'm sure he will.

He's an ambitious wee guy and I've no qualms with him going for the job, especially as it doesn't look like Stevie has gone looking for it and rather Raith have enquired.

If any one of us was offered an interview for a larger company at more money we'd go to the interview.

If Stevie doesn't get the job it's far more in his interests to stay working hard with us and I'm sure he will.

He's an ambitious wee guy and I've no qualms with him going for the job, especially as it doesn't look like Stevie has gone looking for it and rather Raith have enquired.

If any one of us was offered an interview for a larger company at more money we'd go to the interview.

Spot on Moonster. Edited by sons'r'us

Reports on the Raith thread that Stevie has been interviewed for the Raith job. If accurate, it's way beyond courtesy and his future commitment will be a concern.

I'm not sure I'd look at it like that.

Maybe I'm being naive, but, he's been interviewed, ok.

If he gets it, fair enough, I'd wish him all the best (apart from games against us) and I wouldn't begrudge him a move to full-time management in the slightest.

If he's not the successful candidate, then he's still our manager and I'd expect him, or any other manager for that matter, to continue his hard work and be professional in his management of Dumbarton.

Pretty much what I've said, just not as promptly as you Moonster. :lol:

I'm also happy that Jazza has re-signed. I'm happy for him to be our first-choice for next season, he was particularly solid in the last quarter-or-so for us. I'd be surprised if Brown is happy to stick around now, particularly if it's made apparent that Ewings will, as expected, be Number 1.

Agree with you to an extent, but my concern is how long this process will go on for, and what sort of message this sends to potential players if he doesn't get it. If it turns into a 'saga' and extends into next week then that could mean that we aren't appointing our new manager until potentially the first week in June. The season starts on July 16th, so pre-season roughly a month before this would leave the new man with very little time to build a squad.

The other issue is with players, I'd imagine quite a few players will join us because they want to work with Aitken and Faz, would you sign if you thought they'd be away at the 1st opportunity? I'm not sure, I'm genuinely not. Part of me thinks that they would, and the other part is of the opinion that they might want to stay with a club who have a (relatively) secure and settled manager.

Anyway, we'll hopefully find out sooner rather than later.

DumbartonTheSons, Moore's a cracking player, just a shame he's so injury prone. He's just signed a new deal with Motherwell however, so I'd guess he's in their first team plans next season. I think we did try and get him last summer though.

Agree with you to an extent, but my concern is how long this process will go on for, and what sort of message this sends to potential players if he doesn't get it. If it turns into a 'saga' and extends into next week then that could mean that we aren't appointing our new manager until potentially the first week in June. The season starts on July 16th, so pre-season roughly a month before this would leave the new man with very little time to build a squad.

The other issue is with players, I'd imagine quite a few players will join us because they want to work with Aitken and Faz, would you sign if you thought they'd be away at the 1st opportunity? I'm not sure, I'm genuinely not. Part of me thinks that they would, and the other part is of the opinion that they might want to stay with a club who have a (relatively) secure and settled manager.

In light of rumours based on absolutely nothing, could Craig Moore be someone we'll look at?

A decent record when he's been on loan and he's just returned to Motherwell from a spell on loan at Ayr.

Stevie mentioned on BBC Alba during the play-offs that we'd had Moore watched, so it's a possibility if he's going out on loan again.

I know Raith have a lot of their squad signed up already, but I'm sure they'll want this over and done with as quickly as us.  Seems they're completing interviews on Thursday if their thread is to be believed so hopefully there will be a decision soon after that.

With the high turnover of players and managers in the Scottish game I'm not sure that your second paragraph matters too much.  Most players or managers will be away from us at the first opportunity in this league.  At the end of the day, money will talk for a lot of players.  Sure, we see the usual "the gaffer convinced me to come here" stuff in the media from players when they sign but if we're paying good part time wages (which we are) then the players will come.

Not everyone is motivated solely by money