Sons' sorrow

If I was on the DFC Board then I ‘d already be looking at Plan B. Correction, there should already be a Plan B, such are the comings and goings in modern football.

If Stevie Aitken gets an interview with Raith then he’ll hear of a genuine expectation to finish in the play-offs with a full-time squad; that is in excess of Dumbarton’s ambitions, where survival with part-timers is no mean achievement. As such he’ll maybe feel that this offers him a significant opportunity in his career progression, and maybe the day job becomes less of an issue, but that’s still a big call.

It may not be the first time that someone went into an interview with an open mind and came out feeling convinced, and I’d not be surprised either if he in turn convinces Raith that he is their man. Then again, he might decide to stay exactly where he is….all will be revealed.

Aitken has permission to speak to Raith according to the Sun. Read on BBC Scottish Gossip.

A Murdoch tabloid always gets it's facts bang on.

We need to ask the Morrison's Fish Counter woman for the truth IMO........

Would it be the worst thing if he moved on?  Think he's done a decent job but if he went then fair enough (not saying I actively want him to leave) while we achieved the goal of staying up there were some right dodgy performances and without Nade the goal machine who knows......

First person to mention Jack Ross as a potential replacement gets a red dot.

Given that preseason starts in 3 weeks and we have only two players signed I would say having to find a manager in that time would be a pretty bad situation.

Having said that, we all need to calm down. There's been nothing official from the club and it should be remembered that Stevie's combined wage at the moment will be excellent - I'm sure Raith won't be able to pay him anything near what he's currently getting. It'll be a big decision for him and I'm not sure Raith is the right move for him but we'll see.

The club would never stand in the way of a manager who had a chance at going full time. Its one of the things that makes the Dumbarton job attractive to candidates - do well and the club won't hinder their career progression from part time to full time.

I don't think Aitken is the right man for Raith. Raith have a mix of full time and part time players but they have ambitions of being an effective force at this level and pushing for promotion. Aitken has never been a full time manager before and it would be a significant gamble taking on a club with that kind of pressure. If he is offered the job then best of luck to him. Certainly there have been signs that he's a capable manager in his time with us but there have also been signs that he's far from ready for a step up. He's made some mistakes - admittedly rectifying them in part with some transfer deals - but at times we looked like we lacked conviction going into games. Raith won't settle for playing to not lose or not lose heavily.

The next week or 2 will be interesting for sure.

The club would never stand in the way of a manager who had a chance at going full time. Its one of the things that makes the Dumbarton job attractive to candidates - do well and the club won't hinder their career progression from part time to full time.

I don't think Aitken is the right man for Raith. Raith have a mix of full time and part time players but they have ambitions of being an effective force at this level and pushing for promotion. Aitken has never been a full time manager before and it would be a significant gamble taking on a club with that kind of pressure. If he is offered the job then best of luck to him. Certainly there have been signs that he's a capable manager in his time with us but there have also been signs that he's far from ready for a step up. He's made some mistakes - admittedly rectifying them in part with some transfer deals - but at times we looked like we lacked conviction going into games. Raith won't settle for playing to not lose or not lose heavily.

The next week or 2 will be interesting for sure.

Only one part time player - Dave McGurn.

Only one part time player - Dave McGurn.

Any idea what Raith's budget will be like this season? I'm sure I remember someone on here saying that it was the lowest f/t budget in Britain or something. I'd imagine Airdrie will now have taken that crown, but is it still low?

Getting well ahead of myself here but since Moonster wants us to 'calm doon' lets get hysterical.

Say Stevie goes for an interview, keen to take the job. Raith choose someone else and he comes crawling back with his tail between his legs. How would that go down with the support? How would the board view such a situation?

Until we make signings and confirm Aitken is staying I will continue to feed off these rumours.

Any idea what Raith's budget will be like this season? I'm sure I remember someone on here saying that it was the lowest f/t budget in Britain or something. I'd imagine Airdrie will now have taken that crown, but is it still low?

We were told by the board the budget would be cut if the fans didn't start turning up, even when doing well our support doesn't overly increase for some reason. Then it was mentioned the club offered McKinnon an increased playing budget to stay with us. Really we have no idea what the budget will be. We relied heavily on a couple of local business's last season who funded a few of our players so I can only imagine we'll probably be going down that route again or at least seeing if these business's will be keen to continue supporting us. I've no doubt we'll go down the loan route as well at some point. The comment about us having the lowest FT budget in Britain came from our CEO, he's adamant that's true.

We were told by the board the budget would be cut if the fans didn't start turning up, even when doing well our support doesn't overly increase for some reason. Then it was mentioned the club offered McKinnon an increased playing budget to stay with us. Really we have no idea what the budget will be. We relied heavily on a couple of local business's last season who funded a few of our players so I can only imagine we'll probably be going down that route again or at least seeing if these business's will be keen to continue supporting us. I've no doubt we'll go down the loan route as well at some point. The comment about us having the lowest FT budget in Britain came from our CEO, he's adamant that's true.

That's quite the statement.

How can he accurately know what every single full-time budget in the UK is? I'd be surprised if he accurately knows what every budget in our league is never mind the entire UK :lol:

Does this happen to be the character who's been posting on P&B etc?

Scott Robertson's wage was, but who else?

I'm led to believe Connolly and possibly Longridge as well.

I'm surprised as the OS was quite open about Robertson's wage coming from outside, cannae mind anything similar about Connolly.

Anyway, sorry Sons fans, back to you.

If any Sons fans are feeling a bit down then here's something to cheer you up. The new Morton top:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=130468

Which is making me think, when will we get the first viewing of our new kits? With no signing news looking likely I'm quite buzzing to see what our team of no-marks, unwanted free agents and loan players will be rocking next season.

If any Sons fans are feeling a bit down then here's something to cheer you up. The new Morton top:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=130468

Which is making me think, when will we get the first viewing of our new kits? With no signing news looking likely I'm quite buzzing to see what our team of no-marks, unwanted free agents and loan players will be rocking next season.

that's hysterical, "one pounders", Pmsl

Conolly and Longridge was paid by the club. Panayiotou on the other hand was external funding

I vaguely remember a random interview with McKinnon where he said something along the lines of 'without these businesses helping us fund (the players mentioned) we'd be in a different situation'.