Sons' sorrow

I guess Stranraer not coming up should (hopefully) see Stirling and Pettiegrew definitely heading our way.

Andy Stirling?

He was a decent youth player with us, but his father (IIRC) fell out with David Longwell and he went to Stenhousemuir.

Only noticed him today as I watched the play off and had no idea where he'd been in recent years.

Andy Stirling?

He was a decent youth player with us, but his father (IIRC) fell out with David Longwell and he went to Stenhousemuir.

Only noticed him today as I watched the play off and had no idea where he'd been in recent years.

Aye. According to a couple of the Stranraer fans he's agreed a deal with ourselves.

Been really impressed by him whenever I've seen. Quite happy to see him sign up.

We're at a level just now where we need to take a punt on impressive performers from the lower leagues to add to some experienced heads further down the line of their career, so I'd be happy to see us signing one or two from Stranraer as has been touted.

Ayr coming up isn't too bad, I think for us we'd have preferred Stranraer, but we should be able to compete with Ayr at least and there'll always be a team or two already in the league who don't do as well as expected.

Hopefully we start to get some signing news soon given that the play-offs are coming to an end and clubs know what divisions they'll be in and their budgets etc.

From Stranraer I certainly also wouldn't be adverse to us taking a punt on McGuigan and or Malcolm as well, but I don't know their contract situations at Stranraer, whether they're signed up or not.

The two guys mooted as joining us from Stranraer, Stirling and Pettigrew, have looked decent but we don't want to get fixated on players from that club.  The merry-go-round will begin to swing into action over the next couple of weeks, meantime everyone knows the drill by now ;)

As for Ayr, I thought they looked utter cack over the two Play-Off Final games but no doubt they'll be waving the cheque book in the weeks ahead.

Maybe some of our players heading to Ayr though?

Perhaps, although I get the feeling McCall will stick with a similar squad but with only a few (higher quality) re-reinforcements, perhaps on loan. Akin to the tactics Morton used last season. 

I doubt Stranraer are paying pennies either - the likes of Aggy, Gibson and Cairney - won't be cheap, so they would probably be equally as dangerous for attempting to nick our players.

Signing news this week plz

The last two penalties in the match taken by players who were signed to us at the start of the season. Gibson had a decent game. Looking at that tremendous turnout, we could be up against it next season.

I thought Gibson was miles off it today, and on Tuesday for that matter.

He barely broke into a sprint the whole game.

The last two penalties in the match taken by players who were signed to us at the start of the season. Gibson had a decent game. Looking at that tremendous turnout, we could be up against it next season.

Stranraer coming up was always our best hope. Regardless who folks thought were the better team, Ayr are potentially much bigger than we are with a much bigger support. They'll probably invest in the summer and will be a much improved team next season.

Hopefully we can improve from last season though and still be competing to stay in the league. I do think we'll be big favourites for relegation.

Edited by sons'r'us

Calum Waters let go by Celtic. Wouldn't be averse to taking him back permanently, doubt he'd demand a big wage either.

Wouldn't play him at LB though. Looked far better on the wing and has some serious whippage on his cross.

Not sure about news etc as I'm away on holiday just now. But if Aggy has signed for Stranraer then I'm more than glad they didn't make it up. Not sure why but also glad to see Gibson stay down at what I think is his level. Actually slightly happier for the likes of Andy Graham and Nicky Devlin on making it up. Just hope they fall miserably short next season now ;)

Wouldn't be surprised to see you take our George Hunter on loan this season coming.

He better not be another Scott Broon. The bar was set very high with Kane but you really let us down with Brown.

The relationship was on the rocks until big Fraz arrived. He restored my faith in Dumbjohnstone.

He better not be another Scott Broon. The bar was set very high with Kane but you really let us down with Brown.

The relationship was on the rocks until big Fraz arrived. He restored my faith in Dumbjohnstone.

St JohnSons, mate. Get it right.

In case you haven't been on the St J thread by the way, I bought a St Johnstone top at the weekend  :lol: The relationship has never been stronger.

Not convinced Hunter will be good enough for Dumbarton to be honest. He had two loan spells at senior clubs last season - Elgin and Airdrie. He came back from Elgin early because of the travelling/found himself on the bench, then lost his place when Airdrie appointed their new manager and was sent back to us. He had a ridiculous record for Spartans U19s - 34 goals in 13 matches - and he's scored quite a few for our development side though. A natural goal scorer if you can provide the service for him.

So remember we were reminiscing about Shay's performance against Arbroath last week? 

Well I decided to see if I could find the highlights anywhere, and lo and behold I could!

Edited by Sonsteam of 08