Sons' sorrow

As said before I reckon all we need is a right midfielder and a out and out goalscorer.

With the players we have in just now Id go,

Brown

Barr. Graham. Buchanan

Taggs Docherty

Gallagher

Cawley. Kirky. Gibson

Fleming.

Agree that the 3 cbs didn't work last year but on paper Id say that's looking pretty strong.

Ideally I'd play fleming in the turner role, he is at his best there.

Be interesting to see if chase is a first pick...

I honestly don't think Chase will be first pick. At the moment I think our most likely line up is:

Brown

Taggart ----- Barr ----- Buchanan ----- Docherty

Gallagher ----- Miller

Kirkpatrick ----- Cawley ----- Gibson

Fleming/Smith

Which doesn't actually look too bad, albeit I'd rather not have Kirky out on the right wing and Fleming/Smith don't really fill me with confidence as the lone striker but it's a fairly solid looking team. Gallagher sounds like he'll be running all day in that midfield and Miller has already said he loves a tackle. Of course, if we sign another left back we could move Docherty in there alongside Gallagher, which going by the Alloa fans opinions might be the more solid option.

Chase having some competition in there is a good thing, IMO. As good as he's been for us, we've depended so much on him and he's played just about every game. Having an option to give Andy a rest when he's played a lot or perhaps going through a run of bad form can only be good.

We still have to add to that team which is the great thing. Aitken's done a grand job so far, getting them playing fluently in his style is the next trick.

If we get a solid goalscorer in and a little more depth I fancy us to finish above alloa livi morton and raith.

Can understand why you think you will finish above us and you have made some decent signings but looking at who you have brought in, i don't think many would get in our starting 11.

Brown- Wouldn't replace Gaston with any other keeper in this league. Brown is still a good keeper though.

Smith/Cawley- Peaso is a better striker than those two.

Miller/Gallacher- Tidser and Forbes are comfortably better players.

Buchanan- No better than Frank McKeown ( Frank got in the League 1 team of the year)

Gibson- Decent player no doubt but Bobby Barr is just as good. Hes also younger and faster. ( Both in the League 1 team of the year)

Docherty- Dont know him so cant comment.

Darren Barr is prob your most impressive signing and if he is fit, he would def be a starter for us. Its a gamble though, seeing as he has only started 17 games the last 2 years.

I'm not for a second saying the players you have brought in are poor, they all sound decent, but i doubt many would replace our current starting 11.

Taggs would certainly get a game at right back ahead of Kilday though.

Both team should be quite close this season. Both need strikers!

Can understand why you think you will finish above us and you have made some decent signings but looking at who you have brought in, i don't think many would get in our starting 11.

Brown- Wouldn't replace Gaston with any other keeper in this league. Brown is still a good keeper though.

Smith/Cawley- Peaso is a better striker than those two.

Buchanan- No better than Frank McKeown ( Frank got in the League 1 team of the year)

Gibson- Decent player no doubt but Bobby Barr is just as good. Hes also younger and faster. ( Both in the League 1 team of the year)

Darren Barr is prob your most impressive signing and if he is fit, he would def be a starter for us. Its a gamble though, seeing as he has only started 17 games the last 2 years.

I'm not for a second saying the players you have brought in are poor, they all sound decent, but i doubt many would replace our current starting 11.

All about opinions really, quite a few people have said that Buchanan will be fine at this level whilst McKeown is expected to struggle when up against faster players on bigger pitches by more than a few. We also need to factor in that one team is managed by Aitken and one by Duffy, one looks more competent than the other. Yes, Duffy got the better of Aitken last year but the budgets of both teams will be closer this season, as is the quality of the individual players on the whole.

Agree it will be close between the teams, I doubt there will be much between quite a few teams this year.

Smith/Cawley- Peaso is a better striker than those two.*

*For the 8 games a season when he's fit

Agreed with you about Gaston, excellent 'keeper who seems to have progressed greatly in the last few seasons. Tidser will obviously be one of the best players in the league as well.

Forbes never really set the heather alight in this division, with the exception of a decent 6 months at Thistle. Based on what I've heard I'd have Gallagher over him. I'd also have Buchanan over McKeown if I'm honest. He's more suited to this division and Franks lack of pace will be exploited.

Gibson and Barr are probably much of a muchness. Very different players but both should be decent enough at this level

I'm also pretty confident that we have a better manager, which could make the difference.

Agreed with you about Gaston, excellent 'keeper who seems to have progressed greatly in the last few seasons. Tidser will obviously be one of the best players in the league as well.

Forbes never really set the heather alight in this division, with the exception of a decent 6 months at Thistle. Based on what I've heard I'd have Gallagher over him. I'd also have Buchanan over McKeown if I'm honest. He's more suited to this division and Franks lack of pace will be exploited.

Gibson and Barr are probably much of a muchness. Very different players but both should be decent enough at this level

I'm also pretty confident that we have a better manager, which could make the difference.

His decent spell at Thistle is the only time Forbes has played in this division, is it not?

His decent spell at Thistle is the only time Forbes has played in this division, is it not?

May well have been now I think of it. When he joined the Pars were they in League 1?

E.T.A Aye, he did. The point I was mainly getting at was that he's had an inconsistent career. Was excellent when he first broke through at Motherwell, gradually declined. Joined Thistle and was excellent for 6 months and then declined. Then the Pars where he wasn't great by all accounts, but that's more down to the club being a shambles than anything else.

He's undoubtedly got the talent, it'll be interesting to see how he performs this season in what could be a crucial season for him.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Peaso has started 50 games the last 2 years so shouldn't be an issue. He also scored 25 goals in that spell..

Peaso has started 50 games the last 2 years so shouldn't be an issue. He also scored 25 goals in that spell..

Cracking record that, who else have you got upfront? With McManus and Caldwell leaving and MacDonald not getting any younger I take it (much like ourselves) it's an area that needs strengthening.

Cracking record that, who else have you got upfront? With McManus and Caldwell leaving and MacDonald not getting any younger I take it (much like ourselves) it's an area that needs strengthening.

No one at the moment. Caldwell was doing well for us but was then dropped after McManus came back - even though he'd scored something like 3 goals and had 4 assists in his first 5 matches. I can understand why his confidence completely disappeared after that.

I'd have been pleased if we'd kept Caldwell. We definitely need two more strikers as although Peaso is a good player, at 34/35 he won't be able to play every game.

That's our main issue this pre season. Duffy needs to somehow replace McManus with someone who can score 15-20 goals.

The problem is, every club in the league is prob looking for a player like that.

Gaffer Stevie Aitken on pre-season training and further transfer targets - now online at The Dumbarton Terrace: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/fitness-is-everything-as-training-builds-up/

Not really anything there about transfer targets, but there is a slightly worrying suggestion that we will be at least starting the season with the squad we currently have....hmmm, I think I'd like to see another genuine forward and a left-sided defender before that.

Not really anything there about transfer targets, but there is a slightly worrying suggestion that we will be at least starting the season with the squad we currently have....hmmm, I think I'd like to see another genuine forward and a left-sided defender before that.

"Stevie is still keen to add to his squad, with firepower upfront and strength in defensive areas still a priority."

The boss continued: “There will be another few players coming in – the squad hasn’t yet got the numbers I’m looking for, although the nucleus is there.

“We’ve got to look to strengthen the striking area. We have Garry Fleming, Gordon Smith and Kevin Cawley there but we know that Garry and Kevin can play other positions.

Seems like he wants to strengthen upfront and defensively judging by these quotes.