Sons' sorrow

Question. With the way things are shaping up would you consider 9th a failure?

f**k me that's a topper, ya cheeky wee scamp!

Alloa have fairly been decimated over the summer, and they're our bitches anyway, so I'd expect them to be tenth. A lot of the mid-table clubs are much of a muchness.

Yeah, I suppose I would consider 9th to be an unsatisfactory season.

If you have a spare 8 minutes this is worth a watch, features Willie Gibson (quite a few times, involved in almost every goal as well) and Grant Gallagher. Willie loves a zing from the edge of the box:

That goal against airdrie is a proper peach.

Question. With the way things are shaping up would you consider 9th a failure?

I wouldn't.

I think from the outside looking in it looks like we've signed a team of superstars. I think folk seeing the likes of Barr and Brown join from Ross County have given them the impression were ready to challenge for a playoff spot.

Whilst our signings have been very impressive so far none of them have been unrealistic. The Stranraer boys are making a deserved step up, Brown comes with some pretty shite reviews from County fans and Barr has been ruined by injuries the last couple of seasons. The Alloa Two have made a sideways move but I'm hearing Danny Lennon isn't the most popular of guys amongst players so that may explain that.

I'm seeing quite a lot of 'how can they afford it!?' etc but if you look at our squad there is no one in there who would command huge wages (like Chopra at Alloa for example).

The standard of player has been good but it's the depth and balance that has impressed me with our signings. We also currently have 1 striker in the form of Smith from Stirling so still a good bit away from being able to judge how we'll do.

At the end of the day we're part-time and the full-time teams SHOULD finish above us. As we know that isn't always the case and I'm confident we can challenge with Morton, Livi and possibly even Raith. Whilst 9th would be disappointing I dunno if I'd consider it a failure.

Aye things will change over the next few weeks but right now I would expect you to finish comfortably above 9th place - Livi.

Whilst Livi will be nearer the bottom than top, they've got White and Buchanan who could potentially bag them around 30 goals between. We don't have that fire power. But we'll see how everyone's sitting at the start of August.

I reckon Aitken will be aiming for 8th anyway.

8th or above is success. 9th and staying up is success. Relegation is failure. It's another tough season ahead. Survival is success. I'd hope for better and I'd be delighted if it happens but survival is the benchmark.

Although we should hopefully have genuine ambition to do well in cup competition. Quarters of the challenge cup should always be possible.

Difficult to predict where we'll finish without seeing the finished article. I'll withhold judgement until I see what kind of firepower we're boasting.

What can be predicted though, is the re-occurrence of the traditional slow start. Could be weeks before this new squad gels.

Difficult to predict where we'll finish without seeing the finished article. I'll withhold judgement until I see what kind of firepower we're boasting.

What can be predicted though, is the re-occurrence of the traditional slow start. Could be weeks before this new squad gels.

We've got a few easy games to begin with this time round though, should make it easier for us to get some points on the board. Certainly don't have a tough fixture like Airdrie away, like in previous years.

New local sponsor lined up, and we're replacing the horrendously unlucky black kit.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=1917

Aggreko or Chivas maybe? Looking forward to seeing the new away top, hopefully it's a bit more 'Dumbartony'.

Those would be dream sponsors but highly unlikely. The article implies it will be a company similar in stature to Baxter Ramsay, i.e. one we have never heard of before.

8th for a part time side in a division consisting of 8 full time sides 2 of which include The Rangers and Hibs would be a great achievement. Anyone chanting promotion playoffs would be delusional, would love it but it's highly unlikely

New local sponsor lined up, and we're replacing the horrendously unlucky black kit.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=1917

Aggreko or Chivas maybe? Looking forward to seeing the new away top, hopefully it's a bit more 'Dumbartony'.

I can almost certainly assure you that it won't be the former ;)

I remember the days when we demanded Dumbarton bring in the gazebos for our massive away support to their tiny little ground. Although the ground remains the same, with their signings this season it just shows how much progress the club has made. How far do you see your club progress?

I reckon we're at our peak just now. To progress any further we'd need to at least double our home support and go full-time.

Without the likes of Hibs and Rangers we could potentially mount a challenge for the promotion playoffs like we did a couple of seasons ago. That would obviously be based on having a good playing squad and competent manager.

It's hard to judge how we'll do under Aitken without seeing his team on the park. So far the signs are very positive and I'm really looking forward to the season ahead. In Murray's last couple of weeks I was dreading it due to the mass exodus of players and my lack of confidence in his ability to build a squad of the better players from the lower leagues.