Sons' sorrow

My main observation in the signings so far (before and since the end of the season) is that the manager clearly has a good rep with the players. I know a lot of these guys wouldn't have had other clubs battering the door down to look at them, but I've heard a fair few comments about how the players aren't playing for Faz and he's lost the dressing room etc.

I think, given so many resigned so early and that the likes of Carlo has dropped down 2 leagues to work with him again, it suggests the guys like working with him.

I still don't really rate him as a manager and feel like he's a better coach/assistant than he is a manager. However, we are stuck with him now. I'm not fully convinced by all of the signings but it's nice to see the squad taking some shape, even if it is a little imbalanced for now.

Worth noting we only actually have 14 players signed up (with rumours of one leaving), so of course the squad is looking imbalanced.

7 guys capable of playing in midfield might seem overkill but 4 of them have been deployed in other positions and looked just as handy there. I get the criticism re lack of creativity but it seems quite shrewd business to get good, versatile players in. It saves a bit of budget for Farrell to get a creative spark and / or a 15 goal a season striker, both are very hard to come by and don’t come cheap. Over to Farrell to see if he can convince such a player to ply their trade on a tattie field otherwise the versatile grafter route could go tits up. 

People need to remember we need a squad of about 20 even more to cope with injuries.

yes we need 2 defenders and 2 strikers and maybe a winger to boos squad.

people trying to fit lynas and Carlo into same team . Maybe they won’t play together ??? 

next signings just as interesting 

2 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

People need to remember we need a squad of about 20 even more to cope with injuries.

yes we need 2 defenders and 2 strikers and maybe a winger to boos squad.

people trying to fit lynas and Carlo into same team . Maybe they won’t play together ??? 

next signings just as interesting 

Any ideas on who it may be? 

8 hours ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Any ideas on who it may be? 

Don’t quote me on this but I have it on fairly good authority that there may be some more old faces returning - Boris Melingui and Dougie Hill (who’s coming out of retirement). Not ideal but when we’re spunking all the budget on 50 centre mids I’m not sure I’d be expecting anything special.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Don’t quote me on this but I have it on fairly good authority that there may be some more old faces returning - Boris Melingui and Dougie Hill (who’s coming out of retirement). Not ideal but when we’re spunking all the budget on 50 centre mids I’m not sure I’d be expecting anything special.

You better be 🎣 

I just choked on a mouthful of grapefruit there.  Tell me you dreamt this.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If you think those signings are bad there may be announcement over the next couple of days that will make choking on your grapefruit seem like a pleasant experience.

If it’s a sex offender then I’m done.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If you think those signings are bad there may be announcement over the next couple of days that will make choking on your grapefruit seem like a pleasant experience.

So long as it's not support for the "Conference" League then I should be able to stomach it.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We've still to sign an ageing centre forward who used to play for us. Is your user name about to become a reality?

Any clues on what it may be? A signing ✍️ or a club announcement 

Does it involve a groundshare? Those pesky Broomhill rumours haven’t gone away….

Absolutely nothing would surprise me.

But back to the team.  A lot of people seem to be quite chilled about the squad building, and whilst several of the recent signings are decent by League 2 standards we need to remember that we still have the same guys in the dugout.  I'd like to think lessons have been learned from last season but I fear a repeat of the grim tactics which eventually fell apart big time.  I'll keep my enthusiasm in check for now.