Sons' sorrow

16 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I had to block that 'Gio Marron' chump a few weeks back when I realised his posts were actually having an impact on my mental health. I was being wound up thinking about them before going on to see them.

This is the weirdest season I can ever remember. If you'd offered me second place at the start of the season then I absolutely would've bitten your hands off. Even if you told me that we'd be 25 points behind the winners. But after the start we had it feels like we're stumbling our way blindly to the finishing line.

I said on the podcast back in January that I felt whoever out of us and Stirling finished second wouldn't win the playoffs, because not winning the league would feel like such a failure. Whilst the likes of Annan and Forfar will be on a high at making the playoffs. And I think we're about to see that come to fruition.

I feel for Faz. We've lost Carsy, Div Wilson, Joe McKee, Declan Byrne and Kalvin Orsi all at exactly the same time. And at a vital point in the season where we had a host of really big home matches. 

Have we been poor for most of 2023? Aye we have. But losing players as vital as they are has meant we haven't even managed to scrape together a few wins and draws when we might've done otherwise. 

For what it's worth, I don't think we're ready to go back up and I think we'd have likely gone straight back down without some major investment (lolz). But putting another divisions between us and the trapdoor would've been a big weight off my mind. As Silverton says, one bad season is all it takes. As Albion Rovers or Elgin City could be about to find out.

Totally agree.

People need to realise how close we are to the precipice, with very, very little money & shite owners.

The Cognitive Capital shysters will be rubbing their hands tonight 

24 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

But after the start we had it feels like we're stumbling our way blindly to the finishing line.

I said on the podcast back in January that I felt whoever out of us and Stirling finished second wouldn't win the playoffs, because not winning the league would feel like such a failure. 

I think what you've said above is right on the money and to steal something you said on the terrace as well, it does feel very much like if we had any other manager and we were in the exact same spot we'd have a very different attitude on how the season had went. This rings even more true considering we probably were top at the time? 

There was folk going on about relegation in October time which considering the records we'd broke before that was genuinely one of the weirdest takes I'd seen and may ever see.

It's been weird as f**k this year and it could get weirder yet.

Just finished watching the latest episode of the rock and goal podcast on YouTube. Excellent as ever. In amongst Jim Chapman's constant self promotion, it was bittersweet to remember how advanced the club infrastructure was 13 or so years ago.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Just finished watching the latest episode of the rock and goal podcast on YouTube. Excellent as ever. In amongst Jim Chapman's constant self promotion, it was bittersweet to remember how advanced the club infrastructure was 13 or so years ago.

Yeah but we have fans who detested Alan Jardine & Gilbert Lawrie (r.i.p) who took us to our highest League placing in decades.

We even have fans who were fed up finishing 7th or 8th in The Championship & the Club earning £120,000 for that finishing place.

Instead some of our fans thought it would be great to drop down & we would win more games :1eye

18 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Yeah but we have fans who detested Alan Jardine & Gilbert Lawrie (r.i.p) who took us to our highest League placing in decades.

We even have fans who were fed up finishing 7th or 8th in The Championship & the Club earning £120,000 for that finishing place.

Instead some of our fans thought it would be great to drop down & we would win more games :1eye

I had my fair share of ding dongs with the aforementioned, probably most notably the public forum about stadium relocation at the Abbotsford Hotel, but regardless of the why's and wherefores, it's still sad to see the change in the club's fortunes since then.

*That's not to excuse the crimes of the past which still haunt us. I've not changed my opinion and my colours are still proudly tied to my mast.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The best advice I can give to anyone is to just leave the group. @optimistic should be tried at the fucking Hague for what he’s started.

The Facebook was created cause dfc, had little or no social media footing. I have no control over the opinions of others, but feel free to comment, vent your opinions. 

I certainly don’t necessarily agree with some or many. 

7 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Anyway, the contract extension, anyone got any thoughts ?

Well...the club probably can't afford to look for anyone else now & pay him off, the current manager is a "better the devil you know", status quo pish, easy option, from our board that we have now come to expect.

38 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Anyway, the contract extension, anyone got any thoughts ?

For me the timing of the announcement is still the strangest part of it all. We'd just went through a January where we basically couldn't afford to strengthen the team while we're handing out multi-year extensions (different years budgets I know) under no real pressure to have taken any action.

I get where Farrell comes from in regards to continuity etc. But it would've made much more sense to have surely held off a bit longer. Imagine we handed out the contracts then went on a bad run and dropped off of top spot and started limping towards the playoffs, because that would just then make it look a bit silly.

A positive before going into all the doom and gloom. Aron Lynas, what a player! Where’s his heart on his sleeve, always try’s and even when we have a performance like yesterday he is in the bar afterwards talking to folk. Future club captain IMO although I suspect he will be off to  bigger team sooner rather than later.

Now the gloom.

I hope to god that there is a clause in the contract (no promotion then no job) but I think that’s unlikely.

The manager will point to injuries, the pitch, the weather as an excuse. At the end of the day he is now on course to failure again. Unbeaten runs etc don’t mean a thing unless you back it up with something. He lacks the ability to change a game (no plan B) and he seems to lack the ability to motivate the players. 

Stenny, Forfar, rovers etc just looked more up for it.

Oh and big McLean is just crap. I have said it before but it still baffles me that a 6ft guy can jump and make himself look smaller. I would rather put Vata in midfield and play with love or McLean up front over him.

update - just watched the post match interview and it sums the manager up. No clue, find me someone yesterday who thought it was ‘eachy peache’ in the second half…. From being in multiple dominant points positions to now having a ‘chance’ at promotion isn’t good enough.

Edited by Sons Fan

29 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

A positive before going into all the doom and gloom. Aron Lynas, what a player! Where’s his heart on his sleeve, always try’s and even when we have a performance like yesterday he is in the bar afterwards talking to folk. Future club captain IMO although I suspect he will be off to  bigger team sooner rather than later.

Now the gloom.

I hope to god that there is a clause in the contract (no promotion then no job) but I think that’s unlikely.

The manager will point to injuries, the pitch, the weather as an excuse. At the end of the day he is now on course to failure again. Unbeaten runs etc don’t mean a thing unless you back it up with something. He lacks the ability to change a game (no plan B) and he seems to lack the ability to motivate the players. 

Oh and big McLean is just crap. I have said it before but it still baffles me that a 6ft guy can jump and make himself look smaller. I would rather put Vata in midfield and play with love or McLean up front over him.

update - just watched the post match interview and it sums the manager up. No clue, find me someone yesterday who thought it was ‘eachy peache’ in the second half…. From being in multiple dominant points positions to now having a ‘chance’ at promotion isn’t good enough.

We had 14 players yesterday. Not all of them are completely fit. One of them is 17 years old. Wallace could barely move in the last 10-15 minutes of yesterday's match.

Injuries are a valid excuse. If Wallace needs time out due to injury and we don't get anybody else back fit then we could be going into the Annan game with a bench of Broun, Lynch and Vata.

29 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Aron Lynas is a decent player for this level and perhaps the level above but I think that’s about his ceiling. It was a great hit for the goal yesterday but I wouldn’t say he’s the most technically gifted player. A very good addition to our squad and I’m hopeful we’ll be able to hang onto him.

Big Rusty McJobby could learn a thing or two from the effort and application shown by Aron Lynas because in that department he’s one of the best we’ve had for a long time.

44 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Now the gloom.

Take it Russel McLean hasn't hit the ground running yet at you lot?It was the same at Montrose he was punted out on loan to Forfar just after he joined us.Came back following season(covid season) and did okay then left.But yeah it baffles me too how a guy of his height is so poor in the air....Next stop for him is LL that's his level.

Edited by mo83

8 hours ago, Silverton End said:

We are in real trouble 

We might be but I'm not sure what your average fan of the club can do about it right now. I would like to hope that our board members are aware of what CC are up to and it would be good if our Trust rep could provide any sort of info there, but the rest of us are in the dark until someone says something. Board getting an easy ride IMO.