Sons' sorrow

Big Josh is a great example of a player who would be a great amateur, but who is a poor professional. He's not without a bit of ability and he can play  a physical game. But his game awareness on the pitch was terrible. I certainly wouldn't have wanted him back. Dont see him doing much with Peterhead on his tour off lower level UK football.

55 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see our old pal Josh Oyinsan has signed for Peterhead. I must admit, I fully expected him to melt into complete obscurity after a fruitless couple of years with Hornswoggle Wanderers and Stannington Town but the big man is back in the promised land.

Weymouth to Peterheed is one hell of a transfer for a part timer. Sheesh.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see our old pal Josh Oyinsan has signed for Peterhead. I must admit, I fully expected him to melt into complete obscurity after a fruitless couple of years with Hornswoggle Wanderers and Stannington Town but the big man is back in the promised land.

Ironically, the only time he stayed on his feet long enough to look like a player was when he scored a belter versus Peterhead in the first five minutes, only for Russell McLean to bring us back to earth with a thud - I wonder where he is these days ???

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Are we all to scared to start a match thread for Saturday because we aren't Microdave, aye?

Done.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

@microdave's the issue here. 1 bad result and he goes into hiding 😉

I've been racked with guilt ever since.

Oyinsan is clearly going for two successive relegations from L1. Good luck to him.

Nobody else in unless someone leaves, and someone will only leave if we can get the right person in, says Faz. I hope we don't get injuries.

Also, if we "struggled to get Rusty in" with the finances we have, why did we release a statement last week committing ourselves to longer contracts for our management team and talk about offering deals to players for next season? How do you do that when the club doesn't have a spare penny, nor does it know what league it will be in?

Edited by The Moonster

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Nobody else in unless someone leaves, and someone will only leave if we can get the right person in, says Faz. I hope we don't get injuries.

Also, if we "struggled to get Rusty in" with the finances we have, why did we release a statement last week committing ourselves to longer contracts for our management team and talk about offering deals to players for next season? How do you do that when the club doesn't have a spare penny, nor does it know what league it will be in?

Giving Farrell a contract extension at this point in the season was a bold move. They don't hand out league trophies in January and we could well see things tail off between now and May. Or we could maintain our form and win the division. Nobody knows. There's certainly an argument in favour of extending his contract as Farrell has done well with Dumbarton this season. Teams with bigger budgets than us may well be looking at him and thinking that he's worth pursuing. But there will always be the uncertainty about him that such a meek and disappointing relegation rightly attracts. Ultimately the least this potentially gives us is the guarantee of compensation if Farrell leaves, but it also makes it more expensive to dismiss him if things go wrong. It gives players a degree of certainty that he should be with us for another 18 months and that'll be a factor in whether or not some players stay and others not currently at the club are willing to join. It's easier to keep players at the club if Farrell is staying and they have a good relationship with him. They're not going to turn down the chance of a 3-figure weekly wage rise, but if it came down to a small amount of money then the certainty of having Farrell and the strength of current relationships in the dressing room would be an important factor in whether a player commits to staying or not? It is a gamble giving him the extension. It's a gamble that has up sides to it, but one that also has down sides. On balance I'm not against it, although I'd possibly have waiting until the end of February before doing the deal. 

As for finances, the club could be in a better position than it is right now. We're still dealing with the missing £35k sponsorship that was budgeted for but was never received. You can't just take £35,000 from the budget of a club like Dumbarton and expect there to be no impact. Its money that we should have been able to spend last season. Money we'd budgeted for and spending that we had to cover. That has an impact on budgets for this season. We''ve also had a significant run with only limited home game income. We played Forfar at home on Nov 19th. We played East Fife at home on Christmas Eve. We played Bonnyrigg at home yesterday. That was a gap of 10 weeks with only 1 home game. That kind of run without matchday income puts a hell of a lot of pressure on any club at our level.

20 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Giving Farrell a contract extension at this point in the season was a bold move. They don't hand out league trophies in January and we could well see things tail off between now and May. Or we could maintain our form and win the division. Nobody knows. There's certainly an argument in favour of extending his contract as Farrell has done well with Dumbarton this season. Teams with bigger budgets than us may well be looking at him and thinking that he's worth pursuing. But there will always be the uncertainty about him that such a meek and disappointing relegation rightly attracts. Ultimately the least this potentially gives us is the guarantee of compensation if Farrell leaves, but it also makes it more expensive to dismiss him if things go wrong. It gives players a degree of certainty that he should be with us for another 18 months and that'll be a factor in whether or not some players stay and others not currently at the club are willing to join. It's easier to keep players at the club if Farrell is staying and they have a good relationship with him. They're not going to turn down the chance of a 3-figure weekly wage rise, but if it came down to a small amount of money then the certainty of having Farrell and the strength of current relationships in the dressing room would be an important factor in whether a player commits to staying or not? It is a gamble giving him the extension. It's a gamble that has up sides to it, but one that also has down sides. On balance I'm not against it, although I'd possibly have waiting until the end of February before doing the deal. 

As for finances, the club could be in a better position than it is right now. We're still dealing with the missing £35k sponsorship that was budgeted for but was never received. You can't just take £35,000 from the budget of a club like Dumbarton and expect there to be no impact. Its money that we should have been able to spend last season. Money we'd budgeted for and spending that we had to cover. That has an impact on budgets for this season. We''ve also had a significant run with only limited home game income. We played Forfar at home on Nov 19th. We played East Fife at home on Christmas Eve. We played Bonnyrigg at home yesterday. That was a gap of 10 weeks with only 1 home game. That kind of run without matchday income puts a hell of a lot of pressure on any club at our level.

Farrell has failed at League 1 level twice now, no team from higher up will be chasing him even if he does win what is probably the weakest bottom tier in a while. Fully understand it gives players certainty about the club but we won't know budgets until every league is settled, it might let us do some business but I imagine we could do that business without giving the managerial staff extensions. Ryan McGeever afterall was given a 2 year deal before Farrell was even appointed. 

Callum Wilson’s contract being cancelled is a real shame. He showed so much promise and there’s undoubtedly a lot of talent in there somewhere, we just couldn’t quite get it out of him. Whether that’s down to him, the manager or a combination of both - we might never know.

I hope he kicks on somewhere, I assume he’ll sign permanently for Broomhill. I really enjoyed watching him early in his sons career.

It didn’t work out in the end up but I’d still rather see us take a punt on a young guy like Wilson than some washed up old loser who’s just after a kick about and some pocket money. Hopefully a fresh start will do him some good and he can have a decent career at whatever his natural level is.

Can't imagine Wilson will stay at Broomhill. Why get his contract cancelled with us? He was on loan to them and if staying there wouldve remained as is. He wouldn't just cancel if something wasn't lined up. I would assume he's been released before end of the window so he can sign elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Can't imagine Wilson will stay at Broomhill. Why get his contract cancelled with us? He was on loan to them and if staying there wouldve remained as is. He wouldn't just cancel if something wasn't lined up. I would assume he's been released before end of the window so he can sign elsewhere.

Maybe to free up a bit money for us? Don’t imagine he’ll have been on an awful lot of money though.

17 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

Maybe to free up a bit money for us? Don’t imagine he’ll have been on an awful lot of money though.

Don't mean to be cynical here but why would he do that? He owes us nothing. We gave him the contract, it's up to us to honour it or buy him out of it. We're paying him to play at Broomhill, why would he give up a wage? The only way he's giving that up is if he has a guaranteed wage lined up elsewhere. If he happens to end up on the dole queue, or playing for Broomhill for nothing then I'm happy to be proven wrong.

P.s that is 100% not a dig at Callum, I really like the guy and hope he does well where ever he goes. I'd do exactly the same.

Edited by pleslie99