Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, WC Boggs said:

I think the same principle applies if you're positioned anywhere in the league.  You can't sit still while other teams grow stronger.  That said, Dumbarton really don't seem to need a lot of work to make them unstoppable.

"Unstoppable" might be a bit far but yeah I get that, I think it's a very nice position that we are in this year that we are looking at bringing a couple of bodies, if they are the right player. Rather than previous years where we'd basically be looking for most of a new starting 11. 

I think the same principle applies if you're positioned anywhere in the league.  You can't sit still while other teams grow stronger.  That said, Dumbarton really don't seem to need a lot of work to make them unstoppable.

Not really. If you are sitting comfortably in mid table without much chance of winning the league or going down you’d probably be a bit more hesitant to invest in improving the squad. We might not get a better chance to win a league for decades nevermind years. It would be a real shame if the likes of Stirling improve during the January window and we stand still thinking what we’ve got will do. At first I thought a couple of squad players would be nice but I’d love to see us push the boat out and find a couple of players who can improve the starting 11, especially on the left wing and up top. 

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not really. If you are sitting comfortably in mid table without much chance of winning the league or going down you’d probably be a bit more hesitant to invest in improving the squad. We might not get a better chance to win a league for decades nevermind years. It would be a real shame if the likes of Stirling improve during the January window and we stand still thinking what we’ve got will do. At first I thought a couple of squad players would be nice but I’d love to see us push the boat out and find a couple of players who can improve the starting 11, especially on the left wing and up top. 

I would agree with that if anybody was sitting comfortably in mid table, but not right now they're not.

I hope that with it being our 150th year, the merch sales, the cup run and our monthly events at the stadium that the board a bit of cash to push for a title win. The PR and buzz that would be generated would be excellent, not to mention how much it would help cement some of these Young Sons (which we've done very well to cultivate) into long term support for the club. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see the method of just lauching sand all over the park has returned. I’m by no means as expert but you never seem to see visible patches of sand on other teams pitches at this level unless the park is in a real mess ala Fir Park in the mid 00s.

You should have seen the Bino's original astro turf back in the 90's mate. There was so much sand visible, we half expected Lawrence of Arabia to pop up declaring he'd just taken Akabar.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I hope that with it being our 150th year, the merch sales, the cup run and our monthly events at the stadium that the board a bit of cash to push for a title win. The PR and buzz that would be generated would be excellent, not to mention how much it would help cement some of these Young Sons (which we've done very well to cultivate) into long term support for the club. 

It's a justifiable hope Moonster, but I wouldn't build your hopes too high.  Between the 15th of October last year and the 28th of this month, ie almost 3-1/2 months, we'll have played only three home fixtures.  There have of course been two postponements in there, versus Stenny and Stirling today, but the net result is that there has been little by way of matchday income of late.  That wouldn't appear a good situation.

As for the other things you mention, I can tell you that the 150th merchandise is performing well but there will no hugely significant cash return at this stage in the season - there is still stock to shift.  I can't speak for the social events, but again I doubt the Cup revenues will be sizeable.

Stirling have made squad moves, as have Forfar, Elgin, Stenny and Albion Rovers.  I'd love for us to be able to do similar in a couple of positions, especially with bookings racking up, but whether we can afford to is another matter.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

A bit of a concern 

we’re away now for nearly 3 weeks and you would think give a chance for park to settle. 
However Rangers B at home twice this week and haven’t even looked beyond that 

going to be an issue with playing surface me thinks 

Edited by cedrick1

If anything these postponements highlight the need to add more players. We could potentially have another PP next week, it means we have another mad March of 3 games a week where the squad will be needed. Given 2 of those fixtures are against our direct rivals and a potentially revitalised Stenny, we really do need to add to the squad. 

12 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

A bit of a concern 

we’re away now for nearly 3 weeks and you would think give a chance for park to settle. 

Can't see them hanging about the Rock next season if our pitch turns into a sand pit again.

I hope we push to play the rearranged games asap. Back-ending it all into March would be silly.

13 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

A bit of a concern 

I can relate.  There is drainage at Forthbank, but there's not much more than a foot of soil under that pitch and around 30 ft of clay below it.  I'm guessing what's underneath at Dumbarton is very similar. Our drainage systems will  always tend to be fighting a losing battle after a lot of rain.  

You always hope to avoid call offs and fixture pile ups, but the clay dictates shit can happen when you try to. Best to move on, put this behind you and concentrate on stuff you have real control over.

I can relate.  There is drainage at Forthbank, but there's not much more than a foot of soil under that pitch and around 30 ft of clay below it.  I'm guessing what's underneath at Dumbarton is very similar. Our drainage systems will  always tend to be fighting a losing battle after a lot of rain.  

You always hope to avoid call offs and fixture pile ups, but the clay dictates shit can happen when you try to. Best to move on, put this behind you and concentrate on stuff you have real control over.

It's a filled in dock. All sorts of shite would have been dumped in to try and build up the ground level. Soil on top of that was pretty compacted when I was trying to fork it on Saturday. Pitch really needs some work done on it.

For context, I'm no groundsman and I'm not even a gardener. 

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's a filled in dock. All sorts of shite would have been dumped in to try and build up the ground level. Soil on top of that was pretty compacted when I was trying to fork it on Saturday. Pitch really needs some work done on it.

For context, I'm no groundsman and I'm not even a gardener. 

A dock filled in with who knows what, with soil over it.  Drainage leading out into a tidal estuary? I'm no groundsman or gardener either, but it sounds like it's turned out like building on clay has for us. The weather rules OK.   I've no interest in nipping at Dumbarton FC over a call off.  It happens, better luck next time people.

11 hours ago, George Parr said:

Can't see them hanging about the Rock next season if our pitch turns into a sand pit again.

I hope we push to play the rearranged games asap. Back-ending it all into March would be silly.

We thought that last year but alas they returned, with rumours that they would help with the pitch. Whether those rumours had any substance or not it has clearly not happened. 

13 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

We thought that last year but alas they returned, with rumours that they would help with the pitch. Whether those rumours had any substance or not it has clearly not happened. 

I was under the impression they have been helping with the pitch. It’s actually looked really good this season before the groundsman decided to dump sand all over it.

It will no doubt take a complete pounding over the next week and will return to it’s natural sand bog state.