Sons' sorrow

10 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Surprised they didn’t go for Boxing Day. Thought that the crowds were shown to be bigger then rather than just before Xmas

It is not as random as that.  Several months ago a request was made to the SFL for ourselves to have a home fixture on the Saturday nearest the 23rd December to commemorate the 150th Anniversary. 

The SFL played ball and Christmas Eve became that day.  A modest alteration to a 1pm kick-off allows everyone to get away earlier, especially our visitors, and will hopefully reduce the floodlight costs - something which may well become a more general practice and a point those suggesting a Friday evening may wish to consider.

On 03/11/2022 at 18:21, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ve no idea if he’s carrying a knock or if he’s just not cutting the mustard but it looks like Calum Wilson is struggling to get a start at Broomhill these days. 

“Struggling to get a start” He’s carrying a knock , ive been to 4/5 of broomhills games since hes joined on a friday night or midweek and hes been by far the best player on the park each time , making it look easy👍

“Struggling to get a start” He’s carrying a knock , ive been to 4/5 of broomhills games since hes joined on a friday night or midweek and hes been by far the best player on the park each time , making it look easy[emoji106]

Glad to hear it. Do you know what position he has being getting played in by any chance?

I see we were charging folk a fiver to watch the free council fireworks display from the carpark last night. I’m all for the club trying to make a bit of cash but trying to profit from a free public event seems a bit off to me. Judging by some photos I saw on Facebook there was also a big lorry parked on Sandpoint blocking half the view! 

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see we were charging folk a fiver to watch the free council fireworks display from the carpark last night. I’m all for the club trying to make a bit of cash but trying to profit from a free public event seems a bit off to me. Judging by some photos I saw on Facebook there was also a big lorry parked on Sandpoint blocking half the view! 

Bit of a joke considering you could park at church street and walk into the ground to see it if you really wished. 

charging folk for tea and coffee after you’ve charged them £5 is even more of a joke. What a great community club we are 

23 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We’ve been riding a fine line recently in that regard.

Charging for the fireworks and sponsoring a step in the ground is a bit much.

Fair enough, we’re just trying to make every penny count but there’s a line. 

53 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

We’ve been riding a fine line recently in that regard.

Charging for the fireworks and sponsoring a step in the ground is a bit much.

Fair enough, we’re just trying to make every penny count but there’s a line. 

I don’t think the club are doing anything wrong here. The club has to diversify and try new things to make money, every little helps.

I would rather they try it and the demand not be there then not trying at all.

I dont see the issue. Its the clubs land and if they want to charge folk a fiver to park there then so be it. Yeah you could happily walk in yourself. The fiver I understand included a raffle ticket and the refreshments were from a local cafe so supporting a local business who's also trying to make a few quid. The club need the money so why not try different things to raise funds. 

We charge folk to park at the stadium for matches and it's a choice if people want to use it. Last night was much the same I would say in that it wasn't a hidden charge or anything and if folk wanted to pay it then that's their call to make.

Personally I wouldn't pay it but then I don't care about fireworks or getting nice pictures with the castle.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

I don’t think the club are doing anything wrong here. The club has to diversify and try new things to make money, every little helps.

I’m all for the club trying to make money. In my opinion, there’s better ways to do it than charging money to watch a free firework display.

As for the sponsored steps, I think there comes a point where we water down the value of sponsoring if we’ve got sponsored steps on top of advertisement boards and the likes.

Its not a huge deal at all to be honest though.

Loads of other clubs have sponsor a brick/board/step/shorts/shirt/seat etc. Why shouldn't we?

As for the fireworks, it's been said by others but if people want to pay it they can, no-one is forcing them at gunpoint. The club should have been utilising the facilities at the rock for the last 20 years like all other clubs do. But once again now that we've started actually offering alternative revenue streams some fans have to moan about it. We have an extraordinary number of whingers in the support. 

The club really is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

19 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Loads of other clubs have sponsor a brick/board/step/shorts/shirt/seat etc. Why shouldn't we?

As for the fireworks, it's been said by others but if people want to pay it they can, no-one is forcing them at gunpoint. The club should have been utilising the facilities at the rock for the last 20 years like all other clubs do. But once again now that we've started actually offering alternative revenue streams some fans have to moan about it. We have an extraordinary number of whingers in the support. 

The club really is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Agreed.

fireworks, sponsorship, comedy, drag, tea with your gran. As long as we make a bit of money then every little helps.

It's like when I said on here the other week I'd had a call from one of the players seeking commercial sponsorship from my business. Something the club should have been doing already, so therefore something I was pleased to see (and immediately took them up on, so they ended up with some revenue I wouldn't have spent had the player not called me). The reaction on here was immediately 'well I don't think it's a good thing because blah blah whinging pish and shite' from the usual stable of pish. Fucking whingers man.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

It's like when I said on here the other week I'd had a call from one of the players seeking commercial sponsorship from my business. Something the club should have been doing already, so therefore something I was pleased to see (and immediately took them up on, so they ended up with some revenue I wouldn't have spent had the player not called me). The reaction on here was immediately 'well I don't think it's a good thing because blah blah whinging pish and shite' from the usual stable of pish. Fucking whingers man.

Each to their own, if folk want to pay a fiver for a free fireworks display that’s up to them. Things like the steps, or players trying to drum up sponsorship etc I’m not remotely arsed about but trying to profit off a free council public event when we’re trying to brand ourselves as a community club just seems a bit off to me but clearly others don’t feel the same so nae big deal. 

'community club' is just a catchphrase that means nothing. Like when Barca/Liverpool/Celtic/whoever say 'more than a club'. It's just jingoism. All football clubs are businesses. Advertise for services of all kinds, and if some folk pay for some of them then great. Certainly not worth whining about or claiming we can't be a 'community club' if we do offer these things.

'oh we're charging folk for X, how can we therefore fulfill some unspecified criteria?' isn't a valid argument against running a business. 

We'd all be moaning (rightly, and as we all have for years) if the club wasn't trying to find revenue outwith match days.

We've all had a moan in years past in this very thread about the lack of engagement with the local community and how it's such a waste to own the facility and not offer it out for events regularly other than the odd wedding or council event. So now the club starts using the stadium and surrounds for revenue generating activities (which FYI is precisely how a club becomes part of the fabric of a community, by being the first name on the public tongue for events), and the criticism is out for it somehow being the wrong kind of activity, again per some unfathomable, unspoken terms.

I've had a whine in here about the type of events being held being not my thing, but I'm still glad they're having them. Much better than the previous regime in charge of hospitality etc...

And again, nobody is being forced to pay for anything. It's entirely up to the punters whether they do or not. 

I was at the club Halloween party with my family and it was mobbed. Much busier than a match day in the lounge. And loads of the folk there were not Dumbarton fans, but all were local. Engagement with the community is what makes a 'community club', not whether or not you think it's fair to charge for using the stadium grounds for leisure, and will ultimately create not only non match revenue, but also the next generation of fans as people get the bug for being at the ground and seeing what it's all about.

On the subject of raising funds for the club. I'm running a World Cup predictor at £10 a head, it will be up on official club Social media in next couple of days. The more we get involved will get more funds into the club so feel free to spread the word.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

'community club' is just a catchphrase that means nothing. Like when Barca/Liverpool/Celtic/whoever say 'more than a club'. It's just jingoism. All football clubs are businesses. Advertise for services of all kinds, and if some folk pay for some of them then great. Certainly not worth whining about or claiming we can't be a 'community club' if we do offer these things.

'oh we're charging folk for X, how can we therefore fulfill some unspecified criteria?' isn't a valid argument against running a business. 

We'd all be moaning (rightly, and as we all have for years) if the club wasn't trying to find revenue outwith match days.

We've all had a moan in years past in this very thread about the lack of engagement with the local community and how it's such a waste to own the facility and not offer it out for events regularly other than the odd wedding or council event. So now the club starts using the stadium and surrounds for revenue generating activities (which FYI is precisely how a club becomes part of the fabric of a community, by being the first name on the public tongue for events), and the criticism is out for it somehow being the wrong kind of activity, again per some unfathomable, unspoken terms.

I've had a whine in here about the type of events being held being not my thing, but I'm still glad they're having them. Much better than the previous regime in charge of hospitality etc...

And again, nobody is being forced to pay for anything. It's entirely up to the punters whether they do or not. 

I was at the club Halloween party with my family and it was mobbed. Much busier than a match day in the lounge. And loads of the folk there were not Dumbarton fans, but all were local. Engagement with the community is what makes a 'community club', not whether or not you think it's fair to charge for using the stadium grounds for leisure, and will ultimately create not only non match revenue, but also the next generation of fans as people get the bug for being at the ground and seeing what it's all about.

It’s not that deep mate, calm doon.

I’m all for it as well but their the price of a fiver is a poor show to put it in context usual price of parking is 3 quid and a pound of that goes to the 50-50