Sons' sorrow

On 06/10/2022 at 11:13, TamCarson said:

Good to see people who said they wouldn't go back because of the young sons enjoy a free glass 🥂 last night .....

On 06/10/2022 at 14:40, TamCarson said:

People who follow this page will know. A certain individual took issue with the young sons who make a lot of noise, said he wouldn't be back, the club would lose his pre match hospitality money etc etc.... It's good to see that the young team have been encouraged to go to games, at home and on the bus. And he's still going...

I had a single issue with the young Sons, three years ago which was settled amicably by mutual compromise.

I still go and continue sponsorship when I can and the Young Sons still go.

The only thing I drank on Wednesday night was water.  What exactly is it that you're unhappy about? 

The exhibition is excellent BTW.

I went today, disappointed with the library in the way they have set up tables for people to study/work alongside the exhibition. I felt that I was distracting people when walking around. 

You threw the toys out the pram regarding the young sons, and not for the first time.

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and say: I don't mind (too much*) if we don't end up going up this season. The reason I say this odd thing is that we appear to have taken great strides on and off the pitch after the last few years of shambles and it's just so goddamn refreshing that I'm happy with everything currently. 

I do, of course, reserve the right to complain about any number of issues, both real and imaginary, in the future.

But seriously, we seem to have overnight turned into a comparatively capable and competent football club. Which after years and years of accepting pish infrastructure and fan engagement, even when we had a 5 season purple patch on the field, feels like a corner turned and a victory in itself. 

Now, how did we suddenly go from abysmal at playing football and running a customer based business to suddenly being good at both? That's something I'd genuinely love to know as whomsoever is/are responsible deserves acknowledgement.

FYI I will henceforth leave the rambling, long-winded shitposting to resident expert, BallochSonsFan. Consider this a self indulgent one off.

*I do, of course, expect us to compete.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and say: I don't mind (too much*) if we don't end up going up this season. The reason I say this odd thing is that we appear to have taken great strides on and off the pitch after the last few years of shambles and it's just so goddamn refreshing that I'm happy with everything currently. 

I do, of course, reserve the right to complain about any number of issues, both real and imaginary, in the future.

But seriously, we seem to have overnight turned into a comparatively capable and competent football club. Which after years and years of accepting pish infrastructure and fan engagement, even when we had a 5 season purple patch on the field, feels like a corner turned and a victory in itself. 

Now, how did we suddenly go from abysmal at playing football and running a customer based business to suddenly being good at both? That's something I'd genuinely love to know as whomsoever is/are responsible deserves acknowledgement.

FYI I will henceforth leave the rambling, long-winded shitposting to resident expert, BallochSonsFan. Consider this a self indulgent one off.

I guess it’s a bit of the small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond debate.

If nothing else, I’d like us to go up just to be as far away from the trapdoor as possible. I also would like to think we can compete with the big boys again, like the heady days of the last decade.

9 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Whilst things off the park have no doubt improved in terms of fan engagement over the years the last few years have been fucking horrible. It’s all well and good that the board are here, there and everywhere when we go on a decent wee run but where were they last year when we put together the worst run I’ve ever seen from a Sons team in my puff? The best we got was a statement from Neil McKay telling us we shouldn’t be mad because they had bought GPS vests and improved the floodlights. I’ve also in very recent seasons heard some fairly shocking stories about the way some volunteers have been treated, considering these are mates of mine and I know how much hard work they put in and how great a job they do, that leaves a real sour taste.

Every bit of credit goes to the volunteers. Fair play to the board for sanctioning it all but without the volunteers there would be nothing. From streaming and commentary during lockdown to our fantastic new kits - seriously top work from them.

As for staying in this league - absolutely f**k that. Get us out of this bumpkin hell hole at the first opportunity and as far away from that trap door as possible.

Most of the engagement has been through the 150th anniversary which has been via volunteers. As for being good at business and engaging the fans? We brought in a new director earlier in the year, he appears to have done nothing and resigned over a week ago. Not that you would know that from the club website

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye I think Sweet Pete has been on the MD. The board is a shambles and the owner situation is made worse by their incompetence (or indifference to the owners views). 

Single malt actually.

And yes, I was overcome by a fit of pique.

Let's all get back to whinging. To hell with any positive progress.

As one of the four-person 150th Steering Group I probably should hesitate before engaging with the last few posts, but here goes.  Whilst our hard work, tight organisation and effort over the last year and more is now bearing some fruit and we really appreciate the feedback, it has also for myself highlighted serious structural deficiencies at the football club.  And whilst it may be a cliche it mostly all feeds back directly to the miserable ownership situation.

We currently have a Chairman and two Directors, a nonsense for a club in the Scottish League.  My understanding is that these club officials are not permitted to seek additional Board members unless approved by the majority shareholder and the nominal owner of DFC, both of whom are located remotely.  Reference was made above to the arrival and recent exit, both by stealth, of a now former Director; he was apparently brought to DFC via the majority shareholder without any discernible intention other than he and his business partner seem to have flitted about UK football in recent years, but with no obvious effect.  Anyone harbouring any lingering notions that the current owners represent a good option for DFC moving forward needs to have a hard think on the last few sentences. 

Where the local Board is very deserving of credit is that they have backed the 150th effort to the hilt, financially and otherwise, and it is our intention to see that repaid with interest - so far so good.  But they are horribly constrained in other areas and the constant struggles of keeping DFC financially viable and putting a team on the park on a small playing budget are considerable.  Anyone on the 'inside' of the club cannot fail to recognise the difficulties and deficiencies I mention above, and whilst solutions might appear obvious there will be no quick fix.

It all goes some way to explaining why DFC relies so heavily on supporter goodwill and expenditure and of course committed volunteers and I salute them all - it was good to see so many at the Exhibition opening on Wednesday evening.

There you go @Sweet Pete , a reply as long as BSF would manage, but the truth is that whilst things have indeed looked up the glass is still very much half-full.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As one of the four-person 150th Steering Group I probably should hesitate before engaging with the last few posts, but here goes.  Whilst our hard work, tight organisation and effort over the last year and more is now bearing some fruit and we really appreciate the feedback, it has also for myself highlighted serious structural deficiencies at the football club.  And whilst it may be a cliche it mostly all feeds back directly to the miserable ownership situation.

We currently have a Chairman and two Directors, a nonsense for a club in the Scottish League.  My understanding is that these club officials are not permitted to seek additional Board members unless approved by the majority shareholder and the nominal owner of DFC, both of whom are located remotely.  Reference was made above to the arrival and recent exit, both by stealth, of a now former Director; he was apparently brought to DFC via the majority shareholder without any discernible intention other than he and his business partner seem to have flitted about UK football in recent years, but with no obvious effect.  Anyone harbouring any lingering notions that the current owners represent a good option for DFC moving forward needs to have a hard think on the last few sentences. 

Where the local Board is very deserving of credit is that they have backed the 150th effort to the hilt, financially and otherwise, and it is our intention to see that repaid with interest - so far so good.  But they are horribly constrained in other areas and the constant struggles of keeping DFC financially viable and putting a team on the park on a small playing budget are considerable.  Anyone on the 'inside' of the club cannot fail to recognise the difficulties and deficiencies I mention above, and whilst solutions might appear obvious there will be no quick fix.

It all goes some way to explaining why DFC relies so heavily on supporter goodwill and expenditure and of course committed volunteers and I salute them all - it was good to see so many at the Exhibition opening on Wednesday evening.

There you go @Sweet Pete , a reply as long as BSF would manage, but the truth is that whilst things have indeed looked up the glass is still very much half-full.

I think it's been fairly assumed but that clarifies it the positive steps have pretty much been in spite of the current ownership situation and absolutely not because of it. 

I'm kind of hoping we don't just then use this as a good spell and things get swept under the rug again, as it's concerning to hear about obvious deficiencies.

As someone who had been to games until Covid times I couldn't help but notice the Glasgow Clan's situation and what having distant owners can actually do to damage things. For anyone not familiar see Raith/Goodwillie but throw in the owner then basically having a go at people for being upset about it and now he wants to sell the team while there's sponsors withdrawing their support and staff quitting all over the place. There's a thread in the other sports section that goes into more detail or Twitter can tell you more. But aye if our owners just actively damage the club is there anything that can actually be done to stop that? 

It's why being in league 2 always makes me a bit uneasy as we're basically always one bad decision away from catastrophe. If we have to absolutely shitfest our way through the playoffs from 4th place then if I was offered that now I'd bite your hand off for it. It's not then that being in League 1 makes everything alright but offers a bit of safety at least. 

I feel night and day about the team compared to the end of last season but then that's what winning games does. As of now we're in a very good position on the pitch and that's to be applauded with the caveat that we've played 9 games. The club still remains a bit of a weird one to work out.

37 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As I said, to whom do we owe thanks for the improvement. You've answered that and you and others deserve plenty of praise. 

We're all sadly well aware of the skeletons in the closet of dodgy ownership etc. My optimistic post last night was intended to highlight some of the nicer aspects around DFC lately, in spite of the background shenanigans.

I've been watching Dumbarton for 16 seasons and there have been dodgy owners in the background for every single day of that time, and they were there before I was. That situation isn't resolving itself soon, so we should still be able to complement when things are done well, without every single thing being seen through the lens of "yes, but we have dodgy owners". So yes it's nice to have digital tickets being brought in, discount season for kids with lots of perks, fan engagement, good merch, new people running the bar and doing it well, club shop, season ticket instalments, away fans bar, the ground and surroundings being painted club colours and a dozen other little details that make for a nicer fan experience. Not to mention the squad having been successfully rebuilt and winning games. It's not a dirty word to give credit to the club and it shouldn't be controversial to say I'm enjoying this season and the club generally at the moment, dodgy owners or not.

18 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I had a single issue with the young Sons, three years ago which was settled amicably by mutual compromise.

I still go and continue sponsorship when I can and the Young Sons still go.

The only thing I drank on Wednesday night was water.  What exactly is it that you're unhappy about? 

The exhibition is excellent BTW.

Pleased everything got settled satisfactorily for all parties.