Sons' sorrow

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. He looked in the shape of his life last Saturday and knew exactly where to be for the ball coming in and where to put it for his assist. Best of luck and I hope it works out. He had the fans out their seats just by warming up last week. Whatever happens it'll be good fun.

20 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That announcement video is absolutely superb :lol:

I've no idea how this will work out. If we'd lost our first three games then it would look like the panic button - but we've started the season well, and the big man made an impact last week. He's also a player I've always liked. So it's a signing I'd really love to see work out.

I just said this to my mates, if we were on less than 3 points right now Farrell would be getting hounded out his job for this signing, but we've started well so people are happy to get carried away. I loved the big man first time round and I sincerely hope he does us a turn but I have more than a few doubts that this is the best option we could have sourced. He's reading these boards so I hope he proves me wrong and comes back later to get it right up me. 

Last season one of the best moments at one of Cambuslangs games was a young wannabe defender tried to square up to Gemmell with an attempted boxing stance etc. The big man just shook his head, laughed in his face and said to the ref wtf is this kid doing!! 

Fair play as he could have easily been dragged into it but instead wound the pathetic wee lad up even more.

48 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Fair play to John Gemmell for hitting the gym at ungodly hours and getting himself in great shape but I’m still massively struggling to get excited about this signing. He’s certainly a different kind of option to what we have but I’d still much rather we took a punt on someone who hasn’t been absent from this sort of level for the last 6 years and is obviously at the end of what has been a commendable lower league career. It’s nothing personal against the guy, I’d love nothing more than him to come in and do a job (I realy liked him in his previous spell despite him being a bit marmite amongst our support) but I’m just not confident that will happen. If we have an injury crisis will he last the full 90? Will he really be playing for us for peanuts or much less than say the likes of Finlay Gray? Will having a big guy like him up top lead to us just shelling balls up the park? 

I'd say the signing of John Gemmell is massively LESS of a punt than those of Rory Loy and Denny Johnstone.  And 10 minutes of the big man could be worth more than 90 of Jaime Wilson or Robert Jones.  Or Ryan Tierney.  Or Ben Armour.

He won't be anonymous, that's for sure. 

Yeah, I'm quite excited as to how this could work out. I had a little bit of fear that one of the other teams in our league would go and sign him if we didn't and he would end up scoring against us, so at least that won't happen now. Just really hope it works out for the (not so) big man! 😬

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'd say the signing of John Gemmell is massively LESS of a punt than those of Rory Loy and Denny Johnstone.  And 10 minutes of the big man could be worth more than 90 of Jaime Wilson or Robert Jones.  Or Ryan Tierney.  Or Ben Armour.

He won't be anonymous, that's for sure. 

I certainly wouldn’t consider his signing much of a risk but despite having reservations I’m going to wait to judge him when he starts a game, has to cover an injury to the likes of Byrne or has to make regular contributions from the bench when we are chasing a goal. At that point we’ll be able to judge if he can make more of an impact than the guys listed above (Jamie Wilson scored 7 goals in 26 games which isn’t the worst contribution tbf). A young guy looking to step up a level or a young loan signing looking to make a name for himself would’ve been my preference but if John Gemmell can come in and do a job I’ll be delighted, more so than most probably considering the nostalgia factor as he was our striker when I regularly started attending Sons games.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I certainly wouldn’t consider his signing much of a risk but despite having reservations I’m going to wait to judge him when he starts a game, has to cover an injury to the likes of Byrne or has to make regular contributions from the bench when we are chasing a goal. At that point we’ll be able to judge if he can make more of an impact than the guys listed above (Jamie Wilson scored 7 goals in 26 games which isn’t the worst contribution tbf). A young guy looking to step up a level or a young loan signing looking to make a name for himself would’ve been my preference but if John Gemmell can come in and do a job I’ll be delighted, more so than most probably considering the nostalgia factor as he was our striker when I regularly started attending Sons games.

It's kinda lucky you didn't call yourself Bring Back John Gemmell on here or you'd be needing a new name. I think you're probably safe with the one you've got but you never know!

I think there's definitely some upside to this signing. While I hope he's not just used completely one dimensionally to lump the ball to, I like that he is a different option. Love and Byrne in particular strike me that they're not afraid to get stuck in but Gemmell can just straight up bully defenders in a way none of the other attackers can. 

My concern is that he's been away from senior football for a long time but if he thinks he can make that step up again then fair enough and his work to get into shape again is admirable and shows commitment to a level I'm actually jealous of. 

I think there's a lot of parallels between the Lister signing and this. If Gemmell hadn't played for us before this would look a really odd move. But I was really really against the Lister move when it happened and look how that turned out.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking but I think he'll be a really useful option for us.

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

I think there's definitely some upside to this signing. While I hope he's not just used completely one dimensionally to lump the ball to, I like that he is a different option. Love and Byrne in particular strike me that they're not afraid to get stuck in but Gemmell can just straight up bully defenders in a way none of the other attackers can. 

My concern is that he's been away from senior football for a long time but if he thinks he can make that step up again then fair enough and his work to get into shape again is admirable and shows commitment to a level I'm actually jealous of. 

I think there's a lot of parallels between the Lister signing and this. If Gemmell hadn't played for us before this would look a really odd move. But I was really really against the Lister move when it happened and look how that turned out.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking but I think he'll be a really useful option for us.

It's a weird thing though, because I always felt that he was most comfortable with the ball into his feet. Even watching him over the years for other teams he was a bit of a player with the ball at his feet. Although, of course he does have that ability to challenge in the air. That's what is missing right now though, someone who can do both. We just need to hope he can still do both fairly consistently.