Sons' sorrow

20 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

Perhaps in just being too critical about it because I would've probably liked to have done something like that back in the day if I'd had time to commit. Live out the football manager dreams and all that. 

It's almost certainly a great opportunity for someone, I think my issue is just with the lack of payment for what I would guess is a lot of work. 

I would have done this, badly, before the kids came along.

I'm already self employed, so used to not making a bean.

Just now, kenrobell said:

Mcgeever should be an upgrade on mcniff

I agree. But I'm also not sure he'll be able to dislodge Carsy or Buchanan at the moment. Nice to have some competition in there. Hopefully keep everyone playing to a high level.

I also wouldn't be against us loaning out Edin Lynch until January once he's shaken off his injury. He'll have missed a lot of football, and I don't see him getting much gametime unless Lynas gets injured.

It's great that is McGeever is back in a match squad but as we all know it's difficult to get back up to speed after a long lay off.

I imagine the initial aim will be to bring him off the bench for short spells as opportunities arise and bring him on gradually until he can start a game.  I reckon Buchanan and Carswell will be in place for a while yet, injuries and suspensions permitting.

Arguable that it would be harsh to change a winning team. But its also arguable that we should have pushed a bit more for at least another 1 goal and that its worth trying something different. I'd like to see Findlay Gray involved and there's a decent shout for having Wallace in for Love or for one of the wide players and moving Love out wide.

I suspect if anybody is dropped then it'll be Orsi and we'll go with McLean, Wallace and Love playing behind Byrne.

11 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

So eh, John Gemmell then?

Thoughts?

I can see it as a signing but I also see him as a wind up merchant so not sure what to make of his recent social media activity... 

We need a different option in a bit of a target man but I don't think he will offer enough at his age, if I'm being completely honest.

13 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

So eh, John Gemmell then?

Thoughts?

Iv heard this too and if so then it's a joke. ok he's had a decent career especially in junior football and scored a few goals but come on! Surely there's a young loanee we can bring in rather than a guy currently playing over 35 amateur football. I mean some of the teams there are decent but it is what it says, over 35 AMATEUR football. Robbie and Davie Winters were tearing it up last year at that level but I don't see many senior teams fighting to sign them up.

Nobody has filled the coaching position offered to Paddy Boyle yet so I would guess that's what Gemmell will be offered and only playing in an emergency situation.

I said a few weeks ago I’d like to see how we play when we were expected to win…so I ventured through to Clifton hill. 

The first 20 mins were a tough watch if I’m honest, we were second to every ball, no real style of play going forward as much as we got a few glances of goal but Albion rovers were worthy of their lead at the time, they forced a good save from Brett in goals and also crashed the bar from about 4 yards out. 

The sending off was fair I thought, Albion no6 clattered into young gray and his studs were up and with some force too you could hear it from behind the goal nxt to the wee Albion ultras who were very pissed when they seen the red card come out lol 😂 

But after that I thought we done well, deserved the penalty, were unlucky after that not to score and go in ahead after Blair crashed one of the post and along the goal. 

As for the second half it was frustrating, Albion set up well and done everything they could but 70mims with 10 men is telling and they fell asleep allowing Waldo to fire a good ball in which beat everyone in the box and sneaked in. 

2/2 6pts/6 you can’t complain, we stuck to it the second half as frustrating as it was and that can only be applauded. It’s a game we wouldn’t have won last year that’s for sure. 

also…does anyone know what happened to Love? I turned back round after celebrating and he was crippled in front of me but he looked like he was in some pain? 

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I said a few weeks ago I’d like to see how we play when we were expected to win…so I ventured through to Clifton hill. 

The first 20 mins were a tough watch if I’m honest, we were second to every ball, no real style of play going forward as much as we got a few glances of goal but Albion rovers were worthy of their lead at the time, they forced a good save from Brett in goals and also crashed the bar from about 4 yards out. 

The sending off was fair I thought, Albion no6 clattered into young gray and his studs were up and with some force too you could hear it from behind the goal nxt to the wee Albion ultras who were very pissed when they seen the red card come out lol 😂 

But after that I thought we done well, deserved the penalty, were unlucky after that not to score and go in ahead after Blair crashed one of the post and along the goal. 

As for the second half it was frustrating, Albion set up well and done everything they could but 70mims with 10 men is telling and they fell asleep allowing Waldo to fire a good ball in which beat everyone in the box and sneaked in. 

2/2 6pts/6 you can’t complain, we stuck to it the second half as frustrating as it was and that can only be applauded. It’s a game we wouldn’t have won last year that’s for sure. 

also…does anyone know what happened to Love? I turned back round after celebrating and he was crippled in front of me but he looked like he was in some pain? 

Purely observational but it looked like when he jumped for the goal he landed funny, maybe jaring his back in the process.

John Gemmell signing as a player in any way, shape or form would be an absolutely fucking honking move. He’ll be 38 in a month and is currently plying his trade for some old mans team alongside Farrell. I’d rather take a punt on literally any youngster than give some balloon like Gemmell a deal. He’s been playing as a defender for the last few years at pub league level for f**k sake. 

We don’t even need him as a coach, we already have enough folk trying to squeeze into our bus shelter.

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

John Gemmell signing as a player in any way, shape or form would be an absolutely fucking honking move. He’ll be 38 in a month and is currently plying his trade for some old mans team alongside Farrell. I’d rather take a punt on literally any youngster than give some balloon like Gemmell a deal. He’s been playing as a defender for the last few years at pub league level for f**k sake. 

We don’t even need him as a coach, we already have enough folk trying to squeeze into our bus shelter.

Yeah, I reckon it'll definitely be more Andy Geggan or Mark Lamont than Buchanan or Boyle (not that they were particularly impressive last season).

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This exactly…we will have more staff than players at this rate. 

id rather see a youngster with something to prove about him than a retired former player sign on the books 

So Rangers B team are still using our pitch, but not using our narrow lines.  

If the throw ins are so good they won't need another 4 foot or whatever it is.  Couple times last saturday our players had a poor first touch and went out of play whereas if the lines were the normal width they would have been fine with their second touch.

Screenshot_20220807-211254_Twitter.jpg

So Rangers B team are still using our pitch, but not using our narrow lines.  
If the throw ins are so good they won't need another 4 foot or whatever it is.  Couple times last saturday our players had a poor first touch and went out of play whereas if the lines were the normal width they would have been fine with their second touch.
Screenshot_20220807-211254_Twitter.thumb.jpg.86fe91c21a9f84092534c33a78945602.jpg

You’re assuming that the players would be standing in the same place but in reality they would be positioned just as close to the touch line. The poor touch would have went out regardless of pitch size.