Sons' sorrow

I said a few weeks ago I’d like to see how we play when we were expected to win…so I ventured through to Clifton hill. 

The first 20 mins were a tough watch if I’m honest, we were second to every ball, no real style of play going forward as much as we got a few glances of goal but Albion rovers were worthy of their lead at the time, they forced a good save from Brett in goals and also crashed the bar from about 4 yards out. 

The sending off was fair I thought, Albion no6 clattered into young gray and his studs were up and with some force too you could hear it from behind the goal nxt to the wee Albion ultras who were very pissed when they seen the red card come out lol 😂 

But after that I thought we done well, deserved the penalty, were unlucky after that not to score and go in ahead after Blair crashed one of the post and along the goal. 

As for the second half it was frustrating, Albion set up well and done everything they could but 70mims with 10 men is telling and they fell asleep allowing Waldo to fire a good ball in which beat everyone in the box and sneaked in. 

2/2 6pts/6 you can’t complain, we stuck to it the second half as frustrating as it was and that can only be applauded. It’s a game we wouldn’t have won last year that’s for sure. 

also…does anyone know what happened to Love? I turned back round after celebrating and he was crippled in front of me but he looked like he was in some pain? 

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I said a few weeks ago I’d like to see how we play when we were expected to win…so I ventured through to Clifton hill. 

The first 20 mins were a tough watch if I’m honest, we were second to every ball, no real style of play going forward as much as we got a few glances of goal but Albion rovers were worthy of their lead at the time, they forced a good save from Brett in goals and also crashed the bar from about 4 yards out. 

The sending off was fair I thought, Albion no6 clattered into young gray and his studs were up and with some force too you could hear it from behind the goal nxt to the wee Albion ultras who were very pissed when they seen the red card come out lol 😂 

But after that I thought we done well, deserved the penalty, were unlucky after that not to score and go in ahead after Blair crashed one of the post and along the goal. 

As for the second half it was frustrating, Albion set up well and done everything they could but 70mims with 10 men is telling and they fell asleep allowing Waldo to fire a good ball in which beat everyone in the box and sneaked in. 

2/2 6pts/6 you can’t complain, we stuck to it the second half as frustrating as it was and that can only be applauded. It’s a game we wouldn’t have won last year that’s for sure. 

also…does anyone know what happened to Love? I turned back round after celebrating and he was crippled in front of me but he looked like he was in some pain? 

Purely observational but it looked like when he jumped for the goal he landed funny, maybe jaring his back in the process.

John Gemmell signing as a player in any way, shape or form would be an absolutely fucking honking move. He’ll be 38 in a month and is currently plying his trade for some old mans team alongside Farrell. I’d rather take a punt on literally any youngster than give some balloon like Gemmell a deal. He’s been playing as a defender for the last few years at pub league level for f**k sake. 

We don’t even need him as a coach, we already have enough folk trying to squeeze into our bus shelter.

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

John Gemmell signing as a player in any way, shape or form would be an absolutely fucking honking move. He’ll be 38 in a month and is currently plying his trade for some old mans team alongside Farrell. I’d rather take a punt on literally any youngster than give some balloon like Gemmell a deal. He’s been playing as a defender for the last few years at pub league level for f**k sake. 

We don’t even need him as a coach, we already have enough folk trying to squeeze into our bus shelter.

Yeah, I reckon it'll definitely be more Andy Geggan or Mark Lamont than Buchanan or Boyle (not that they were particularly impressive last season).

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This exactly…we will have more staff than players at this rate. 

id rather see a youngster with something to prove about him than a retired former player sign on the books 

So Rangers B team are still using our pitch, but not using our narrow lines.  

If the throw ins are so good they won't need another 4 foot or whatever it is.  Couple times last saturday our players had a poor first touch and went out of play whereas if the lines were the normal width they would have been fine with their second touch.

Screenshot_20220807-211254_Twitter.jpg

So Rangers B team are still using our pitch, but not using our narrow lines.  
If the throw ins are so good they won't need another 4 foot or whatever it is.  Couple times last saturday our players had a poor first touch and went out of play whereas if the lines were the normal width they would have been fine with their second touch.
Screenshot_20220807-211254_Twitter.thumb.jpg.86fe91c21a9f84092534c33a78945602.jpg

You’re assuming that the players would be standing in the same place but in reality they would be positioned just as close to the touch line. The poor touch would have went out regardless of pitch size.

5 minutes ago, super-son said:

You’re assuming that the players would be standing in the same place but in reality they would be positioned just as close to the touch line. The poor touch would have went out regardless of pitch size.

Nah, one from mckee was clearly obvious the tight pitch caught him short.  You tell by his reaction too.

The one I can remember from orsi, not so much.

Plus we can have all the strikers in the world but they need the service first. 

Sounds incredibly churlish when we are 2/2 but after the 4th minute of the Stirling Albion game we have barely attacked with any consistent pressure. Lots of slow pinged balls from the centre halves but zero pace. Certainly don't think we'd be capable of scoring a goal like Albion's based on current set up. 

10 minutes ago, PWL said:

Plus we can have all the strikers in the world but they need the service first. 

Sounds incredibly churlish when we are 2/2 but after the 4th minute of the Stirling Albion game we have barely attacked with any consistent pressure. Lots of slow pinged balls from the centre halves but zero pace. Certainly don't think we'd be capable of scoring a goal like Albion's based on current set up. 

I agree entirely, but I don't think we've had our best team on the park yet in a league game.  Taking your point about pace, we need both Gray and McLean to start, and if we have McLean in then we cannot afford Orsi on the other wing, as evidenced by Stirling controlling the midfield for 75 minutes.

We also need to define where Ryan Wallace is supposed to play as he seemed to be on a roving commission on Saturday.  And I'm seriously hoping we will be pursuing a couple of loan players.

Wait, what? We're not seriously considering bringing in John Gemmell in a playing capacity? 

This is professional football, not Sunday league. At most he can wander in and shout nonsense at training a couple times a week. Any greater involvement than that would be insane.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

Wait, what? We're not seriously considering bringing in John Gemmell in a playing capacity? 

This is professional football, not Sunday league. At most he can wander in and shout nonsense at training a couple times a week. Any greater involvement than that would be insane.

Yep we are considering it.  He looked fit in the warm ups on Saturday, and can hit a ball better than most of our team.  Problem is that games aren't drills.

If he is coming in for hee haw then I'm up for it.  Don't think he will actually play many minutes either.

Edited by Thommo90

3 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Yep we are considering it.  He looked fit in the warm ups on Saturday, and can hit a ball better than most of our team.  Problem is that games aren't drills.

If he is coming in for hee haw then I'm up for it.  Don't think he will actually play many minutes either.

Yeah this is kind of where I am on it. If he's coming in as an amateur then I see it being a pretty risk free move. If we're needing a goal in the last 10 minutes of the game then chucking the big man on wouldn't be the worst option imo.

His signing would be more indicative of a wider problem at the moment though. There just aren't many strikers out there. Full stop. Stranraer have done something similar bringing back Craig Malcolm and he's really the only natural forward they have. Albion Rovers had been playing Michael Paton up top and stuck their tallest midfielder up there on Saturday. Where he struggled massively. Out and out strikers have just vanished completely across the leagues.

If Faz has decided against a loan player or another forward to give the Beast a deal then questions can be asked. But I imagine that, with a budget of pennies and a total lack of strikers, he's maybe not seeing anyone out there within budget he fancies.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I think hoping for any decent loans is fanciful when we're apparently running the rule over offering a 38 year old amateur a deal. There's nae money left folks. 

To a certain extent that is true. I think for a manager being astute enough, there will be players available who would be handy to bulk up our squad a bit. I still reckon we are a few weeks away from it but some of the teams higher up the leagues will have players who they want out with a chance of playing and things and some may even be happy to accept very little for them to have a good chance of getting some minutes.

I'm not really sure Faz is astute enough in the market to make that work mind you...

I also appreciate we must not have much left in the bank and none of this helps the fact it looks likenhe is trying to bring in 37 year old John Gemmell. Even if he is on amateur terms and receiving basically no wage.

Edited by squeezebox-son