Sons' sorrow

I think we're all getting a wee bit worked up here. It matters not a jot how stylish or not the season tickets look. The new cards definitely look a bit more polished than the traditional stapled raffle ticket books, but whether they are a booklet, a business card, a plastic digital card, a QR code or a scan of your retina doesn't really matter as long as they get you into the ground to watch a game.

I think we're all getting a wee bit worked up here. It matters not a jot how stylish or not the season tickets look. The new cards definitely look a bit more polished than the traditional stapled raffle ticket books, but whether they are a booklet, a business card, a plastic digital card, a QR code or a scan of your retina doesn't really matter as long as they get you into the ground to watch a game.
My first one was akin to a library card. And like you say, it mattered not a jot.

7 hours ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

BBC are doing a prediction for all leagues. I’m probably too optimistic but quietly confident of something good this season 

EABFF7D8-6AE4-4903-8EC5-874C8FEC7A4E.png

There's no way we're finishing first. (I'll be delighted to be proved wrong about this, though.)

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, and I don't want to seem like I'm moaning again, but there is a mention that we will try to use Pixellots stream to make highlights of games this season. Delighted to have any sort of highlights package but given we have a guy on the books specifically filming and analysing games now, is it not possible to use that footage rather than the automated Pixellot stuff? 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, and I don't want to seem like I'm moaning again, but there is a mention that we will try to use Pixellots stream to make highlights of games this season. Delighted to have any sort of highlights package but given we have a guy on the books specifically filming and analysing games now, is it not possible to use that footage rather than the automated Pixellot stuff? 

Maybe he'll be tasked not just with following the ball, but specifically analysing player tactics, movement and off the ball work, which isn't conducive to highlights package.

16 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Maybe he'll be tasked not just with following the ball, but specifically analysing player tactics, movement and off the ball work, which isn't conducive to highlights package.

I'm sure he will, I just assumed we would have a main overall camera for analysing games considering the Pixellot gets busy following seagulls or bald linesmen but if not then fair enough. 

I'm actually quite pleased the plug has been pulled for domestic viewers.  Whilst I realise that not everyone can attend at any given time, football works best with a crowd in attendance for a whole host of reasons.  But fair entry pricing is crucial to that. 

8 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm actually quite pleased the plug has been pulled for domestic viewers.  Whilst I realise that not everyone can attend at any given time, football works best with a crowd in attendance for a whole host of reasons.  But fair entry pricing is crucial to that. 

I feel quite the opposite. I've always been dead against the black out. I was delighted when an unexpected upside to COVID was it being lifted. Sadly they are reinstating this pointless and outdated rule and I don't think it makes much difference to crowds at our level as clubs like ours are followed by the same people week in and week out regardless. We should be able to sell streams if we like. Pointless bureaucracy. We've discussed all this on here before, of course, and as I said then, I didn't enjoy the streams as it was disassociating to be watching the game from home and pixellot is a generally poor viewing platform, but I still firmly believe we (nay all) clubs should be able to sell streams to viewers anywhere.

I was pretty glad that we were able to stream games. Even it was peak Duffyball shitfest games. It wasn't as good as being at a game and incidents like the ball girl doing keepie ups which caused the camera to miss what was happening was a pain but it offered us something at least. 

Personally I think it should be allowed for clubs at our level to stream games if we want. Away fans attending might drop a bit but I would've thought that actually more away fans might be tempted by a stream than would have attended anyway? I don't actually know that for a fact but I got streams for some our games I absolutely wouldn't have went to in person. 

Covid hasn't gone away. Whilst there's probably no political will for further restrictions, we will see fans miss games because of Covid over the winter. Streaming might not be the same as being there, but it at least let people follow the games that they'd otherwise miss. There's also the issue of away games. We're in a cost of living crisis and £15 for a stream is a lot easier to justify for a lot of people than spending money on travel - either supporters bus, petrol or public transport - and then the usual matchday expense of entry and refreshments. £15 versus £50? 

I think that for top flight football, particularly in Scotland, there's an argument against streaming. Too many people claim to be old firm fans whilst never going near either Ibrox or Celtic Park. Streaming would allow them to follow the big 2 from afar. There's always the slim hope that people whose loyalties normally sit with one of the big 2 would fancy a game on a Saturday afternoon and make their way to the local lower league ground. Whilst that doesnt happen nearly enough, streaming games would kill the notion stone dead. At our level? I suspect that we'd stream to more away fans than the numbers who'll travel and that for most clubs it'll be a financial hit. For the likes of Elgin and Annan it may well be quite a hefty hit. I can't see many fans wanting to make the journey up to Elgin with fuel prices as they are, never mind the journey itself.

Us being able to stream games wouldn’t really affect the amount of people coming to a game IMO and as other have mentioned, if you can’t make a game or for away games it was great. There definitely shouldn’t be a blackout for this level. 

Does anyone know if this is a Scottish football thing or does it come from UEFA? 

Also for any one still wanting to stream games, just use a VPN. Most are easy to set up nowadays.

30 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Us being able to stream games wouldn’t really affect the amount of people coming to a game IMO and as other have mentioned, if you can’t make a game or for away games it was great. There definitely shouldn’t be a blackout for this level. 

Does anyone know if this is a Scottish football thing or does it come from UEFA? 

Also for any one still wanting to stream games, just use a VPN. Most are easy to set up nowadays.

It actually is a UEFA rule that only Scotland and England have decided to use. 

On the VPN, when this was mentioned previously it was suggested the club could get a sponsor on board to effectively market it to the fans (and perhaps give instruction to our less computer literate fans). I figured this would be against the rules but it was then pointed out that clubs like Hibs are basically advertising that on their website (just as I type this I checked Hibs twitter and they've literally just posted a deal for NordVPN giving fans 58% off ahead of the season starting). If the club are concerned about losing income from streaming they could perhaps look down that road, obviously bigger VPN companies might not be interested in a small club like us but if we're losing money then it's worth a discussion. Our older fans won't have a scooby what a VPN is so they'll need direction. 

Edited by The Moonster

Once you allow clubs at our level to stream it won't be long before every club is allowed to stream. Further down the line the big clubs will have their own tv channel, their games will be at 3.00pm on a Saturday and smaller clubs crowds will suffer. Football is a spectator sport and without people at games, as covid proved, it is a complete waste of time.

Just been down to the stadium to get my boys tickets, I didn't bother with buying one until I seen that you can pay via direct debit. £20 a month. Signed up for that, why didn't they advertise that more. It's a great option in the current financial climate.