Sons' sorrow

Screenshot_20220716_160352.thumb.jpg.c16f1df1d81512916b93523530dceabb.jpg

Flashscores giving me the fear that we had signed Eoghan Stokes again.

Glad to see we're trying some different options today and that it seems to working (so far) 

Perhaps taking Carswell out of the CM area allowed us to play a bit more expansive football or perhaps just rotating things around and dropping some of the guys who would be considers "starters" has allowed some of the others to show what they can do.

Either way, fair play to the guys for that result. I know Peterhead are a bit deflated and struggling for a bench but every little positive is worth taking in.

Edited by squeezebox-son

The positives:-

A win on a ground that has been problematic in recent seasons.

A clean sheet, and away from home.

We completely controlled the second-half against ten men.

A superb finish from Finlay Gray and a lively performance from him.

The negatives:-

All the Peterhead threat came down our left-hand side.

Declan Byrne and Callum Wilson were largely anonymous.

Yet another disgraceful decision by Barry Cook but this time it worked in our favour.

Good result, but I’ll still reserve my judgement for when the league campaign starts.

Least it’s a little extra prize money, too, for not finishing last.

Pleasing result today. 

Really encouraging to hear young Finlay Gray performed well again and got himself a goal. I seen a little bit of him at Broomhill last season, he’s an exciting wee player and I hope he can make the step up. 

Peterhead seem in disarray at the moment but it's really pleasing to hear that we've looked the opposite of that today. Delighted for young Finlay, where was he playing today?

Anyone watching give us an idea as to the system we played? Seemed a difficult line up to piece together.

A good win and should be a morale booster. If only we'd turned up in the second half against SA then we'd have a shoot out with Raith to potentially qualify from this group, and coin in some much needed cash. 

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Was thinking on the way down the road, when did we last win a cup game against a team from a division above us? Couldn't remember off the top of my head.

Did we not beat Morton in the challenge cup about 5 years ago? 

Was thinking on the way down the road, when did we last win a cup game against a team from a division above us? Couldn't remember off the top of my head.
Did we not beat Morton in the challenge cup about 5 years ago? 
Yup. August 2018.

Would the win over Morton not have been Aitken’s first season so both us and Morton would be Championship?
The one you're thinking of was Aitken's first match in 2015 when we were indeed both in the championship. But we also beat them early in the season after we were relegated to L1 not long before he was sacked.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Peterhead seem in disarray at the moment but it's really pleasing to hear that we've looked the opposite of that today. Delighted for young Finlay, where was he playing today?

Anyone watching give us an idea as to the system we played? Seemed a difficult line up to piece together.

A good win and should be a morale booster. If only we'd turned up in the second half against SA then we'd have a shoot out with Raith to potentially qualify from this group, and coin in some much needed cash. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Finlay Gray brought pace and energy to central midfield and scored a peach of a goal, but in all honesty Peterhead were a toothless shadow of last season.

Today's starting eleven won't be the first choice but it was good to see that we have some options, although the left-hand defensive area still causes some concern.

Given our record in the challenge cup it’s surprising we beat anyone in it that season!
Tbf, we haven't won a match in it since then despite two of the three ties being against children's teams.