Sons' sorrow

4 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Right guys, with our first competitive game on Saturday who would your starting 11 be? 

Brett Long

Aron Lynas Gregor Buchanan Martin McNiff Gregg Wylde

Callum Wilson Joe McKee Stuart Carswell Ross MacLean

Declan Byrne Ryan Wallace

Subs: Broun, D.Wilson, Blair, Orsi.

Lynch and McGeever will still be injured and I think (iirc) Love is still on holiday as his Mrs is a teacher, so he can't get away until the schools break up.

Imo Carsy is at his best when he's forced to work hard - e.g he doesn't have someone alongside him to do a similar job. McKee is our best central midfielder, so lets pair them up and hope both play to their strengths. I liked the Byrne/Wallace dynamic at the weekend too. Two intelligent guys who know what their strengths are.

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Brett Long

Lynch and McGeever will still be injured and I think (iirc) Love is still on holiday as his Mrs is a teacher, so he can't get away until the schools break up.

Imo Carsy is at his best when he's forced to work hard - e.g he doesn't have someone alongside him to do a similar job. McKee is our best central midfielder, so lets pair them up and hope both play to their strengths. I liked the Byrne/Wallace dynamic at the weekend too. Two intelligent guys who know what their strengths are.

I think that shows how light we still are. McGeever and Love would both start but Lynch is squad filler and beyond the first 11 we don't have much. I'm unsure McKee will be given a starting berth too, I think he'll favour Blair.

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Brett Long

I don't disagree Jan, especially with the Carswell aspect; two similar 'worker ants' has often led to an inability to build moves in midfield and subsequent repeated turnover of the ball by the opposition.  And I want to see far, far fewer games when we start by defending on our own 18-yard box

I take it from your listing that none of the trialists has been offered terms ?

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't disagree Jan, especially with the Carswell aspect; two similar 'worker ants' has often led to an inability to build moves in midfield and subsequent repeated turnover of the ball by the opposition.  And I want to see far, far fewer games when we start by defending on our own 18-yard box

I take it from your listing that none of the trialists has been offered terms ?

I think, and I may be wide of the mark here, that Carsy knows he's a good player technically. But plays within himself because it's easy. So forcing him to cover more ground and do more work might actually be the way to get more out of him. It feels like the last chance. 

On the trialists, I've no idea. I wasn't down in Cumbria last night so haven't spoken to Faz since Saturday. I can't say any blew me away, but Finlay Gray looked like he might be a handy guy to have about the squad if a deal could be reached.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A signing on its way...

Can I just say that pretending you're announcing a new signing and then announcing something which isn't a new signing is shite patter and yes I'm saying this because I was absolutely taken in by it and I'm seething about it. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Can I just say that pretending you're announcing a new signing and then announcing something which isn't a new signing is shite patter and yes I'm saying this because I was absolutely taken in by it and I'm seething about it. 

So Mark Lamont returns ?

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Kry moar 

I did wonder about the [emoji6] emoji but I was also taken in by it. Thought it was going to be one of the trialists.

27 minutes ago, the snudge said:

These league cup games are basically extended friendlies so if we use them to get fitness, fine. If we manage get a couple of results then it's a bonus.

I totally agree. They should really allow trialists to be fielded within reason eg. a trialist can't play for more than 1 team in the competition and things. It would avoid players playing just to make up numbers but allow teams to continue looking at adding to their squad and things.

35 minutes ago, the snudge said:

These league cup games are basically extended friendlies so if we use them to get fitness, fine. If we manage get a couple of results then it's a bonus.

Completely agree, Stirling might have been interesting to see as we play them in the first league game of the season as well. But a lot can change in the month so wouldn't focus on it too much anyway. 

We'd be expected to lose the other games anyway so hopefully can just treat them as some form of warm up for the league.