Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The bookies haven't a clue about this level of football and are responding to bets placed- themselves a complete stab in the dark at present with over a month to go until the start of the league season

To be fair who does this year?

Championship you’re thinking Dundee clear favourites with maybe Inverness and Partick Thistle pushing them. 

League 1 maybe Dunfermline / Falkirk top 2 with QoTS not far behind

League 2 though.... Couldn’t even confidently predict a team to finish in the top 4. Should be exciting but bad for a coupon

16 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Carswell was at his best with somebody beside him sharing the workload. He's been progressively worse since Kyle Hutton left us. Hutton probably never got the credit he deserved for the role he played with us.

I'm not against him staying with us but something needs to change. A midfield 2 of Carswell and McKee would be hopeless, and that raises doubts about how we actually set the midfield up this year? Not that Wilson and Carswell would be a great combo. I'm still not sure how we set out our midfield and forwards unless we go 4-2-3-1?

Lots for Farrell to decide before the start of the season. Either we improve for the drop in division or he gets the first quarter before being punted. It has the same feeling as the end of Stevie Aitken.

Hutton was an absoulute sham. hes one of the worst players ive seen in a sons shirt. 

Part of Mr Aitkens "Jobs for the boys" series of signings along with Andy Little

47 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Hutton was an absoulute sham. hes one of the worst players ive seen in a sons shirt. 

Part of Mr Aitkens "Jobs for the boys" series of signings along with Andy Little

Hutton had a stigma, if you will, attached to him when he signed that some fans couldn't let go of but in his last couple of seasons he was miles ahead of Carswell and that was playing with a foot that needed surgery as well if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, sarti pooh said:

Hutton had a stigma, if you will, attached to him when he signed that some fans couldn't let go of but in his last couple of seasons he was miles ahead of Carswell and that was playing with a foot that needed surgery as well if I'm not mistaken.

It's noticeable how our midfield deteriorated when Hutton left, he was able to do the simple stuff, break up play, easy passes etc.

Not always easy on the eye but very effective.

2 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

It's noticeable how our midfield deteriorated when Hutton left, he was able to do the simple stuff, break up play, easy passes etc.

Not always easy on the eye but very effective.

This. Hutton was one of those players that it was only really noticeable what he did, when he wasn't there doing it.

Let's not try to rewrite history here guys.  Kyle Hutton was for the most part utter gash and it took him almost 100 games to find any sort of worthwhile form at Dumbarton - because the midfield has remained poor since he left shouldn't disguise the fact that it was also poor when he was in it.

Hutton definitely divided opinion and clearly still does. For me, he didn't do enough and wasn't particularly fussed when he left. The fact he left us to go to EK and join Aitken says enough about his desire to play rather than just get some money.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Let's not try to rewrite history here guys.  Kyle Hutton was for the most part utter gash and it took him almost 100 games to find any sort of worthwhile form at Dumbarton - because the midfield has remained poor since he left shouldn't disguise the fact that it was also poor when he was in it.

Absolutely this.

23 hours ago, microdave said:

Sad news about our record appearance holder Johnny Graham passing away.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=5405

I well remember Johnny scoring a beauty against Falkirk at Boghead in 1970. He got the ball at the edge of their box and flicked it over a defender's head, whom he ran round to hit the ball on the volley into the net. Sublime.

He also had the unique trick of seeming to let an opposition clearance go over his head in midfield before extending his superb left peg back behind him and without being able to see the ball using the back of that foot propel it forwards again - usually to a team mate. I've never seen anyone else do that.

So sad he's gone.

Can’t say I’m thrilled about the idea of giving the club any money at the moment, but I’m probably going to cave and buy the new kits. They’re just too nice to pass up on and it is a special occasion.

If you genuinely think that Hutton was one of the worst players you have seen in a Sons shirt then you know nothing about football

16 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Nonsense. There have been so many worse ones than Kyle Hutton. He managed to get POTY the year before he left so you certainly must have been in the minority.

I was a big fan of Hutton, whenever I saw him play. Which, admittedly was only every so often, but his pass completion rate was always really strong and he did the simple things excellently.

I think he’s one of those players that the majority of the fans weirdly hate even though they were really good. Colin Nish and John Dillon also spring to mind. I certainly wouldn’t put him in the same basket as Andy Little.

Conversely, you get players like Hammy (from our last stint in the bottom tier) who are absolutely hopeless, but the fans love because they run a lot.

Edited by FifeSons

Come on man. Kyle Hutton was fucking honky tonk and arguably worse than what Carswell has become. His career trajectory since leaving us would back that up. I also wouldn’t use winning a DFC POTY award as some sort of barometer of success, it’s voted for by our notorious weirdo fanbase and has seen such superstars as Conor Duthie and the infamous Stuart Carswell claim it in recent seasons. 

If folk think Kyle Hutton was good for us they must view Jonny Routledge and Chris Turner like Iniesta and Xavi. 

Come on man. Kyle Hutton was fucking honky tonk and arguably worse than what Carswell has become. His career trajectory since leaving us would back that up. I also wouldn’t use winning a DFC POTY award as some sort of barometer of success, it’s voted for by our notorious weirdo fanbase and has seen such superstars as Conor Duthie and the infamous Stuart Carswell claim it in recent seasons. 
If folk think Kyle Hutton was good for us they must view Jonny Routledge and Chris Turner like Iniesta and Xavi. 

I have it on good authority that Xavi wears Chris Turner pyjamas. Otherwise, everything else above is correct.

So who is going along to the launch night tonight? It’s good to see the club opening the doors and making an event of the kit launch, at a good time of year as well. Hopefully thy make it an annual event and not a one off for the 150 celebrations.

9 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Nonsense. There have been so many worse ones than Kyle Hutton. He managed to get POTY the year before he left so you certainly must have been in the minority.

connor duthie got POTY so did carswell so that stands for f**k all