Sons' sorrow

After a tremendous upbeat day yesterday, we need a few 👀🖊️ tweets to keep the momentum going. 

Would expect a young back up goalie at some point but still think we are a couple of players short in the squad. 

That home kit is incredible. Re no sponsor, we had the same last year with our 100th anniversary kit for the Scottish Cup and money was still being put towards it, just McGills agreeing they were fine with not having it displayed on the home kit as a one off.

Well he did score 11 league goals in 2019 for the rovers so there might be something about him. I'm willing to give him a chance and see if he can replicate that kind of form.

Some of our fans really are complete oddballs. Why do they publicly slag new signings underneath Twitter announcements etc? What the hell is point in that? 

I’d wager none of them even know who he is and he’s already been deemed “shite”. It really annoys me and it seems to be the same culprits constantly. 

Not exactly an exciting signing but as with all players he'll get his chance to impress before being judged. Hopefully he has a bit of height and presence about him as I'm starting to think we're a bit on the small side this season. 

For what it's worth, I've always thought Declan Byrne was quite a decent player. He's big and broad and he can put himself about, occupying defenders and bringing others into play. I don't think he's the most technically blessed of forwards but if there are players around him that can capitalise on his dirty work, he could be a smart piece of business.

Interestingly I see Byrne has previously captained Albion Rovers during his first spell at Cliftonhill. That gives us Lynas, McGeever, Buchanan and Love as players who have previously captained clubs. On top of Carsy and Wylde who have both worn the armband for us.

Not all of them are natural leaders in my eyes. But it's interesting nonetheless and says a wee bit about their character.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

For what it's worth, I've always thought Declan Byrne was quite a decent player. He's big and broad and he can put himself about, occupying defenders and bringing others into play. I don't think he's the most technically blessed of forwards but if there are players around him that can capitalise on his dirty work, he could be a smart piece of business.

Thanks for that.  It appears that Ryan Wallace likes to feed off a bigger physical presence alongside him so there looks to at least be some logic to this signing, and whilst we are unlikely to have the new McCormack and Wilson, if Byrne turns out more Jim Lister than Rory Loy I'll be happy with that.

Byrne will be a decent signing for Dumbarton, yes it's not exciting and suspect he'll not rip the league apart in terms of goals, but he's not a bad player at this level and he'll be the physical player that Wallace will work off.

He was part of our "behind closed doors season" so I never actually saw him in the flesh for Stirling Albion, however I watched all the games online and his link up play and all round game contributed to a decent number of goals that Andy Ryan bagged. I wasn't too bothered to see him leave that summer, because he did slip out of the picture under KR, who seemed to favour Dylan Mackin, but despite only getting a couple of goals, he did do a decent enough job.

29 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Interestingly I see Byrne has previously captained Albion Rovers during his first spell at Cliftonhill. That gives us Lynas, McGeever, Buchanan and Love as players who have previously captained clubs. On top of Carsy and Wylde who have both worn the armband for us.

Not all of them are natural leaders in my eyes. But it's interesting nonetheless and says a wee bit about their character.

Let’s hope we don’t have too many chiefs and not enough Indians then?

20 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I wonder about the number on the back of the actual strips.

Will we be able to just have a wee number between the neck and top of the band, as per tradition, or will modern rules mean that we have to have a bigger number that goes over the bands?

The rules say that the number will have to be of a size that goes over the bands. Hopefully we won't have a big patch over the bands and will do it like Airdrie who just print the number over the diamond.

After a tremendous upbeat day yesterday, we need a few tweets to keep the momentum going. 
Would expect a young back up goalie at some point but still think we are a couple of players short in the squad. 
^^^ Nostradamus.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Farrell made a similar comment before last season, that the team was full of leaders.

Permit me to hold my breath that this may not work out as you hope*.

*Hope I'm proved wrong.

Looking at the other squad lists, I'd say no one else looks stronger than us, on paper. Full back, especially LB, looks our weak spot, though.

In reality, there's probably not a lot between the teams in this league. It'll very likely come down to *gulp* good management.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Is Ryan Wallace really 6 ft 1? That’s what he’s listed as on the OS, but doesn’t look it next to the others.

That’s his waste size, he is only 5’6” tall