Sons' sorrow

6 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m sincerely hoping Buchanan is one of the 2 year deals who’s leaving, I think he’s a massive problem. He was the one real constant in that awful defence last season, there was actually a game or two when he was either suspended or injured and we looked far more solid with a makeshift CB partnership. 

I’d be happy to see Carswell go as well, I don’t rate him as a player and I don’t rate him as a captain. There’s something about him I find really hard to take to. He’s been stinkin the place out for too long now.

This has been my opinion since early-ish last season. Both contributed far too little for the amount of eage they will be commanding. Performances were, on the whole, absolutely dreadful from them. They should have been really key to keep the younger guys right on and off the pitch this season but neither appeared to have any leadership skills or to actually be all that bothered that we were serving up dross week in, week out.

Carswell has been rotten since the season we got relegated and Buchanan has went so far backwards since he left us last time. Seems to be making a career out of the fact he has played for a few clubs higher up the leagues but every single one (since he was last with us) will tell you he was a liability and simply not good enough for that level - hence he ended up back at Dumbarton and not any further up the chain.

49 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

This has been my opinion since early-ish last season. Both contributed far too little for the amount of eage they will be commanding. Performances were, on the whole, absolutely dreadful from them. They should have been really key to keep the younger guys right on and off the pitch this season but neither appeared to have any leadership skills or to actually be all that bothered that we were serving up dross week in, week out.

Carswell has been rotten since the season we got relegated and Buchanan has went so far backwards since he left us last time. Seems to be making a career out of the fact he has played for a few clubs higher up the leagues but every single one (since he was last with us) will tell you he was a liability and simply not good enough for that level - hence he ended up back at Dumbarton and not any further up the chain.

You guys better watch what you are posting here about Buchanan, you might get a visit from his stalker of a father 😂😂

Just now, Laurie Williams Loyal said:

You guys better watch what you are posting here about Buchanan, you might get a visit from his stalker of a father 😂😂

Happy for him to check my background etc.. 😂 Won't change that I'm being honest about Gregor's performances this last season. He looked a lot less suspect whilst McGeever was there but still not great. When he didn't have Ryan to lead/guide him through matches he looked hopeless.

30 minutes ago, the snudge said:

That'd be a smashing boost.

Sure is. If we are half way to our first choice CB pairing it is much better than starting from scratch! I think we missed McGeever more than I ever thought last season. Our dreadful run of form started more or less when he got injured!

19 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Sure is. If we are half way to our first choice CB pairing it is much better than starting from scratch! I think we missed McGeever more than I ever thought last season. Our dreadful run of form started more or less when he got injured!

Not quite. He played in our 5-0 humping at Peterhead and the following two games which we lost before being injured in our fourth defeat in a row at East Fife (around 70 minutes). Our defensive frailties won't be solved by McGeever simply returning, we need to be far better organised. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not quite. He played in our 5-0 humping at Peterhead and the following two games which we lost before being injured in our fourth defeat in a row at East Fife (around 70 minutes). Our defensive frailties won't be solved by McGeever simply returning, we need to be far better organised. 

It was actually the week before that, in the 3-2 eight men Airdrie game that he got injured. I genuinely believe if we'd kept him on the park then we wouldn't have lost that game.

In the East Fife game we started that weird 3-3-2-2 formation with Boyle, Lynch and Muir (iirc) in defence 👀

21 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Paddy Boyles departure has got me thinking.  If there were thirty-odd avoidable mistakes last season then surely Faz needs only to identify who was involved in the majority of them and look to replace them.

I think the vast majority of them were between Buchanan, Paddy and Ramsbottom tbh. Stranger had 2 glaringly obvious individual errors but that happened after the league had finished technically.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It was actually the week before that, in the 3-2 eight men Airdrie game that he got injured. I genuinely believe if we'd kept him on the park then we wouldn't have lost that game.

In the East Fife game we started that weird 3-3-2-2 formation with Boyle, Lynch and Muir (iirc) in defence 👀

You are correct sorry, but still, he was there when the wheels started to come off and I hope we're not just hoping he's the saviour, as much as I like him as a player he needs to be part of a good unit this season if this chat about winning the league is to come true. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You are correct sorry, but still, he was there when the wheels started to come off and I hope we're not just hoping he's the saviour, as much as I like him as a player he needs to be part of a good unit this season if this chat about winning the league is to come true. 

Aye, we weren't 1 good defender away from being a good side

24 minutes ago, super-son said:

I think the vast majority of them were between Buchanan, Paddy and Ramsbottom tbh. Stranger had 2 glaringly obvious individual errors but that happened after the league had finished technically.

Lynch had a few as well, as did Bronksy but I’d say Buchanan must be leading the way by some distance. 

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I should clarify that I'm not suggesting if he hadn't got injured we would have definitely avoided the drop. Inconsistencies were there beforehand too. I just think there were a number of games where we looked so dreadful at the back and clearly lacked leadership with pairings of Buchanan and anyone else really (Lynch or Bronski in particular). We only really settled once Stanger came into CB. Boyle had one okay match at CB too I think.

I also think McGeever is good at leading and chatting others and younger guys through the game and that was missed.