Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, Silverton End said:
Harsh?
He should have been thanked for his efforts and moved on.
Why do we need another coach, is that 4 we have in the dugout now?
Farrell, McKeown, Boyle, Phillips.
Kalvin Orsi on a 2-year deal says it all too.
Tactical geniuses the lot.

I do think it's harsh to criticise someone for their potential in a job they haven't even accepted never mind started. He might well be hopeless at it but we won't know until he gets going. The other point about whether we need another coach is valid and (likely) nothing to do with Boyle. That is down to Farrell and I've made my feelings clear on him.

How will we know if he’s good? 

I’d far rather he was gone tbh, even if he’s a great coach. I don’t want him near the team and if him staying as coach means he’ll play some games next season then get him tae f**k. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’d far rather he was gone tbh, even if he’s a great coach. I don’t want him near the team and if him staying as coach means he’ll play some games next season then get him tae f**k. 

Yeah, the club are effectively rewarding failure here in Boyle's case.

I'd rather Boyle's wage was used to fund another signing.

Edited by Silverton End

2 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Probably in the minority here but I don't mind Orsi coming back, especially in a lower league.  He at least showed some urgency on Saturday.

I noticed small things like getting the ball back to the shy taker/goalie for bye kicks when he was on the bench and warming up.  Other players (specifically McKee, and Ramsbottom) just sat on their lazy arses watching, they don't give a shit.  

The fact he was chucked a 2 year deal from the off is a bit wild though I agree.

Agreed on Orsi. Has a bit of pace and urgency. A lower league may suit him. Up to the manager to get the best out of him though...

Duthie is rotten. Headless chicken. No loss. Sums up the season that he was deemed POTY.

Orsi's introduction on Saturday made us look far more urgent. He was involved in our goal and he had every right to shout at his teammates. Until that point absolutely nobody in a Dumbarton jersey was shouting and demanding more. He sometimes gets his dribbling wrong and his finishing isnt good, but he puts in as much of a shift as Duthie does. Duthie was rated higher by some fans, but I think Orsi sometimes gets an unfairly bad rep.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

What happens if we end up with nobody wanting to sign for us and no season tickets sold?

Players will always sign so wouldn’t worry too much about having no players it’s just the type of players who’ll sign any old deal to remain a footballer for one more year you need to watch out for.

4 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Players will always sign so wouldn’t worry too much about having no players it’s just the type of players who’ll sign any old deal to remain a footballer for one more year you need to watch out for.

Should I be worried about seeing Willo Flood in a local Gregg's this morning ?

By seeing players improve over the course of a season. To be clear, I wouldn't have offered him a playing deal of any sort but I've no problem with him being a coach. Of course, I might change my mind on that if he doesn't look like he's making a difference.

What I find most obscure about some of the two year deals is Greg Wylde. 

Faz was quick to point out he never knew Greg and hadn’t worked with him at all before, after we were suggesting that on here…..yet someone has sanctioned him getting a two year gig? 

sums us up 

44 minutes ago, microdave said:
3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

By seeing players improve over the course of a season. To be clear, I wouldn't have offered him a playing deal of any sort but I've no problem with him being a coach. Of course, I might change my mind on that if he doesn't look like he's making a difference.

If we’re operating with a reduced budget I’d rather we didn’t piss some of that away on hiring untested coaches who were integral to our relegation but each to their own!

Posted (edited)

I wonder if Farrell still reads this forum. He must have a seriously big ego to carry on when he realises we unanimously want him gone.

As for the board, how can they be willing to put the future of the club at risk for the sake of one individual? Can only hope the season ticket sales put the fear of God into them.

Edited by FifeSons

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If we’re operating with a reduced budget I’d rather we didn’t piss some of that away on hiring untested coaches who were integral to our relegation but each to their own!

That’s a good point. We’re constantly told how skint we are, yet we’re dishing out 2 year deals and hiring unnecessary coaches…

That's a fair point.

I'm beginning to wonder if Farrell is being allowed to completely do his own thing here.  For example I'd hate to think that Pat Boyle has been told that his game time is now limited but here's a coach title to make up for it.  To announce this four days after our last game seems reactive rather than planned.  Is the Football Director involved at all ?

Posted (edited)

Out of post-season boredom, I trawled back through some of Farrell’s old interviews from when he was at Stranraer. First question after a defeat was met with the “I take full responsibility” line 🤦‍♂️ ETA just watched a bit further and “7 cup finals” also made an appearance, along with “it’s no over, regardless of what some people will say”. He then proceeds to call out individual players for missing chances.

Here’s the interview if anyone wants to waste several minutes of their life Click.

I was also speaking to a L2 player recently who said that Stranraer team were absolutely rotten and he was really surprised Farrell managed to get a move to L1.

Edited by FifeSons