Sons' sorrow

Nice wee promo video ahead of the playoffs up
I spoke Gregg Wylde after the game on Saturday, and he mentioned that he thought Callum Wilson might've got handed the armband before him. With the way the guy plays, and hearing the wee man speak in that video, I can actually see him as a captain. It's been really good seeing him coming back into form in recent weeks - and I'm absolutely delighted he's staying next season. 
Carsy is obviously under contract next season as well (and we have Bucky and McGeever signed up too) but I would not be averse to seeing Wilson with the armband. Which seems like a crazy thing to say about an 18-year-old. But I think it could be good for him if he nails down a regular starting spot. He strikes me as someone who needs to be continually pushed and put under pressure to get the most out of him.
It's not particularly important in the grand scheme of things. But I like the way he plays. And I like the way he conducts himself.
Alex Ferguson appointed Tony Fitzpatrick as St Mirren captain when he was about 18 so it's not as crazy as you might think.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

Alex Ferguson appointed Tony Fitzpatrick as St Mirren captain when he was about 18 so it's not as crazy as you might think.

No, the crazier thing would be to maintain some of these two-year deals.  Whatever division we end up in I'd rather some hard decisions were taken ahead of next season.

No, the crazier thing would be to maintain some of these two-year deals.  Whatever division we end up in I'd rather some hard decisions were taken ahead of next season.
Having consistency in a team is important but I'd agree that two year deals only work if they are given to the right players. We haven't given out many in the past few years but of the ones we have, they haven't worked. For example, Mark Brown.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Who would you keep from the deals we already have? 

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The only players I'd be interested in keeping would be;

Pignatellio, Buchanan, McGeever, Stranger, Wilson, Duthie, McKee and Syvertsen if he's looking like he might stay fit.

The rest can go imo.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Big McGeever seems like a decent big guy but he’s absolutely brutal on Twitter after an old firm. Jeezo.

Our players and staff would do well to stay clear of social media.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I'd keep Muir, Stanger, Buchanan or McGeever (but not both), Paton, Carswell and Duthie. I'd also be tempted to keep Wylde as an option from the bench as he could cover left midfield or left back.

McLean and Orsi - not overly fussed by either. Orsi just doesnt seem to have a final ball or shot in him despite working hard and being willing to take defenders on. McLean is a better player when he's concentrating on the game and not trying to con the ref.

Syvertsen - depends on fitness.

I'd love to keep Pignatello, but there's no real chance of that.

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

McLean and Orsi - not overly fussed by either. Orsi just doesnt seem to have a final ball or shot in him despite working hard and being willing to take defenders on. McLean is a better player when he's concentrating on the game and not trying to con the ref.

I think one of the main issues with MacLean is that Farrell seems intent on playing him as a striker instead of in his natural position. It’s no surprise that he was far more effective at the start of the season. Quite why Farrell persists with it is baffling and I’m hoping to see Orsi benched, MacLean back out wide and Syvertsen starting upfront for the playoffs - Stevie Farrell absolutely wont do that though IMO.

I do agree he needs to cut out the pish but on his day he’s the best player in our team.

5 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd keep Muir, Stanger, Buchanan or McGeever (but not both), Paton, Carswell and Duthie. I'd also be tempted to keep Wylde as an option from the bench as he could cover left midfield or left back.

Syvertsen - depends on fitness.

I'd love to keep Pignatello, but there's no real chance of that.

No chance I'd keep Carswell or Paton, both pivotal to the situation we are in. Wilson 100% would keep.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

No chance I'd keep Carswell or Paton, both pivotal to the situation we are in. Wilson 100% would keep.

It's all about opinions, but I can't agree about Paton.  Sure there were errors, but for consistently reading the play, invariably finding a team mate with the ball and doing the defensive mopping up in midfield he was far from being our worst performer. 

I do agree about Wilson, but I'm not so sure about our captain and vice-captain.......

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think there's a decent midfield 3 in this division with Paton, McKee and Wilson if you then build around them and play a system that allows that 3. 

Carswell McKee and Wilson would be better imo 

KEEP

Carlo Pigniatello (extremely doubtful)

Ryan McGeever

George Stanger

Ross MacLean

Callum Wilson

Paul Paton

Conner Duthie

BIN

Keiran Wright

Sam Ramsbottom

Paddy O’Neill

Paddy Boyle

Edin Lynch

Gregor Buchanan 

Stephen Bronsky

Stuart Carswell (I think it’s time)

Eoghan Stokes

David Hopkirk

Gregg Wylde

Kristofer Syvertsen

UNDECIDED

Joe McKee

Adam Hutchison 

Kalvin Orsi

Sam Muir

Josh Oyinsan

For the undecided pile - there’s no doubting McKees ability, but he’s rarely shown it this season (albeit with limited chances). Hutchison and Muir could be good players to have around both young with plenty development still to come. Orsi is a grafter and I wouldn’t be against seeing him in a sons shirt next season but he has absolutely no end product. Big Josh is a strange one, he has a huge impact when he’s in the team but I’ve got doubts over his fitness and similarly to Orsi, his end product and composure isn’t always there.

I’m sorry but keeping Paton over carswell is a bizarre decision? So is binning Buchanan. 

McKee should be kept and have a team built around him to allow him to be a dictator of the ball in midfield. He’s an exceptional talent at this level 

Keep - McGeever, Stanger, Wilson, MacLean, Duthie

Undecided - McKee, Paton, Syvertsen

Bin - the rest, including the captain, the gaffer and his staff.

I don’t think for a minute Farrell will go, even if we go down. Is there any point in keeping the likes of McKee when he doesn’t get a sniff? Is there any point in young Wilson staying when the manager gives him the last 10/20 minutes every week? We have some dung in our squad but we also have some talented players that the manager doesn’t have a clue how to use or get their confidence back if it disappears. 

I think young Wilson has been drasticaly underused  this season, despite the tripe Farrell trotted out at the recent meeting about how many appearances he’s made. When the majority of those are from the bench when we are chasing a lost cause it is completely pointless for both him and us. 

Binning the likes of Orsi, Buchanan and Wylde wont be easy, they are signed up for next season so we’re stuck with them unless they are happy to walk.

19 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I’m sorry but keeping Paton over carswell is a bizarre decision? So is binning Buchanan. 

McKee should be kept and have a team built around him to allow him to be a dictator of the ball in midfield. He’s an exceptional talent at this level 

I disagree, Carswell has been pretty anonymous for the past 2 seasons. He doesn't seem to have a position on the park as he just drifts about and ends up in just about every position, except for in front of the defence when the opponent's are attacking.

Hasnt been good enough imo.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's all about opinions, but I can't agree about Paton.  Sure there were errors, but for consistently reading the play, invariably finding a team mate with the ball and doing the defensive mopping up in midfield he was far from being our worst performer. 

I do agree about Wilson, but I'm not so sure about our captain and vice-captain.......

It is about opinions and we can agree to disagree. Paton for me doesn't do enough. For someone who is as experienced as him he's not been good enough. I dont think he does mop up defensively in midfield, have u seen our goals against column? 

It's opinions for sure, maybe far from being our worst but he's also far from being our best, and in the season we've just had that is saying something! I'd be really disappointed if he hung around next season.

Wilson''s form since signing his extended deal has been pretty terrible, but I blame Farrell for that. First sign that Wilson wasn't playing particularly well and Farrell dropped him. Fair enough for a game or two, but there never seemed to be a way for Wilson to win back his starting role. The longer it went on then the less confidence that Wilson looked to have. He went from playing without fear and trying some outrageous stuff to playing scared of making mistakes and ending up offering very little. That's all on Farrell. Wilson went from playing very well in September to offering very little in Feb/March/April because by that point he looked completely devoid of confidence.

34 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

It is about opinions and we can agree to disagree. Paton for me doesn't do enough. For someone who is as experienced as him he's not been good enough. I dont think he does mop up defensively in midfield, have u seen our goals against column

It's opinions for sure, maybe far from being our worst but he's also far from being our best, and in the season we've just had that is saying something! I'd be really disappointed if he hung around next season.

Boyle and Buchanan are very experienced and they have contributed greatly to that goals against column - would you keep them ?