Sons' sorrow

25 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Peterhead's run is:

Us (a)

Queens Park (h)

East Fife (h)

Airdrie (a)

We win next week and it's a 1 point gap. You'd expect them to beat East Fife at home.

Leaves us with:

Airdrie (a)

Cove (a)

Clyde (h)

We'll hopefully beat Clyde at home.

It'll come down to who does best between the 2 teams v Airdrie and whether they do better against Queens Park than we do against Cove.

We could really do with Cove wrapping up the title asap, so they have nothing to play for against us. Hopefully Airdrie might also decide it’s over by the time we play them if it’s a 7/8 point gap, and take their foot off the gas.

Guess it’s just the cliche of one week at a time. Must win next week to get it down to 1 point. If Clyde lose next week, they may also be dragged in…

Edited by FifeSons

18 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

God knows, but one thing I do know is that Syvertsen should be the first name on the teamsheet next week. 

I agree, and having now replaced Big Josh in the last two games, that would seem the obvious role reversal.  But I wouldn't stop there.  Kalvin Orsi just isn't producing enough for me, and I would transfer Connor Duthie to the right and bring in Calum Wilson from the start.  Next Saturday and thereafter we need to cease the hoofball and have players driving at the opposition.  I really hope Stevie Farrell isn't seduced by the final score today, as for the first 80-odd minutes we were gash.

However, full credit to the team for digging out a win in an incredible finale.  In a season of mediocrity, that's now two of the most sensational endings to a Sons game I've seen in nearly 60 years of following the team, Airdrie away being the other.  We've given ourselves a chance of a chance.

Since our relegation from the Championship four years ago, I've never celebrated survival in L1. Last year I was relieved but not happy if that makes sense. However, after the way I reacted today when we scored the second and third goals, I think reality has hit and I'll be in full on celebration mode if we stay up. Am I wrong? Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, microdave said:

Since our relegation from the Championship four years ago, I've never celebrated survival in L1. Last year I was relieved but not happy if that makes sense. However, after the way I reacted today when we scored the second and third goals, I think reality has hit and I'll be in full on celebration mode if we stay up. Am I wrong? Thoughts?

Not at all. We’ve had little to cheer recently, and got to enjoy one of those rare moments supporting Dumbarton can serve up today.

I think almost everyone has been resigned to relegation, so if we do stay up, it’ll definitely be a reason to celebrate. Combined with how costly going down would be and the threat of the trapdoor, I’ll be giving it yaldi if we stay up.

(Of course, in the wider context, we should be doing better than we are, in my opinion, but I could hardly care less about that when Syvertsen won it today).

With the result at Firhill yesterday I think that any notion of Cove or Airdrie taking their foot off the gas has now disappeared, and it will be up to ourselves to put in a performance against both.

But first we need to produce one on Saturday, and I really hope that Faz pays heed to the closing passage of play at Alloa in his starting team selection.

37 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

If and its a big IF farrel keeps us up I hope it doesnt distract from the fact the guy should still lose his job 

On what grounds would you sack him if he kept us up? From his comments the other night his remit from the board was to keep us in the division. I'm no expert on employment law but I'm not sure you can sack employees for meeting their targets. 

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

With the result at Firhill yesterday I think that any notion of Cove or Airdrie taking their foot off the gas has now disappeared, and it will be up to ourselves to put in a performance against both.

But first we need to produce one on Saturday, and I really hope that Faz pays heed to the closing passage of play at Alloa in his starting team selection.

I'm not sure. Cove could well still have the league won by the time we play them. In fact, it would likely be the day they get the trophy.

51 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

On what grounds would you sack him if he kept us up? From his comments the other night his remit from the board was to keep us in the division. I'm no expert on employment law but I'm not sure you can sack employees for meeting their targets. 

If that is indeed his remit, no you can’t, but pre season, he told us his squad was good enough for top 4. So either he’s hopeless as a manager, or he’s signed duds

35 minutes ago, optimistic said:

If that is indeed his remit, no you can’t, but pre season, he told us his squad was good enough for top 4. So either he’s hopeless as a manager, or he’s signed duds

I have absolutely no doubt that if Syvertsen had been fit all season then we'd be 28 points clear right now.

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

I think he was doing his best to lift the mood around a club that had been involved in relegation battles for 3 seasons and perhaps the PR line was to give fans a bit of hope. Not defending his signing policy or tactics but I don't really blame him for talking up chances in the summer. We've certainly scored enough goals this season to challenge for 4th, but ultimately that means f**k all when you're throwing them in at the worst rate in the division at the other end. 

5 hours ago, optimistic said:

Tbf, he isn't gonna come out at the start of the season and say "yeah we will be lucky to stay up this year"

I'm sure every team and every manager thinks they have a strong squad at the start of the season who can challenge for a decent finish. If he thinks they were going to get relegated what would be the point and why would us fans bother turning up to watch?

To be fair, he said recently that we had given away 30 something goals through individual errors. Can you imagine where we would be in the league if we had even halved that?

I don't think he signed anywhere near good enough players and too many past it, duds and simply not good enoughs... but maybe he did believe we would be better off.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'll be honest, I'm more confident of taking a point away at Airdrie than I am taking all 3 at home to Peterhead. Without the latter the former is useless so hopefully the team can pull it out the bag on Saturday. 

I read that as out the bog!!!!

I think the manager will remain next year. 

If you were manager (and if we stayed in league 1) who from this current squad would you keep? 

For me; 
2 new keepers 

maybe one last dance for Bucky? But as a member of the squad with a younger replacement brought in. And mcgeever would stay. Don’t know about muir as I haven’t seen too much of him. Lynch, paddy, bronski should probably head to dumbarton east station.

keep duthie, Wilson, big Josh and sell some land to keep Carlo? 

who has got either pass marks or potential? 

Duffy kept us up last season and we all wanted him gone.

Scraping survival through the playoffs shouldn’t guarantee Farrell his job for next season. But let’s just see what the next month brings. It’s still a HUGE ask to avoid 9th, but possible after Saturday’s win.

Edited by FifeSons